Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do you carry your green card with you ?

Do you carry your green card with you ?

Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:56 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you carry your green card with you ?

Originally Posted by meauxna
I've wondered.. your sister is on the right side of the line, but all my people are one exit past that checkpoint.. they go through it almost every day.
Yikes...that must be a pain in the rear.

Rene
Old Apr 28th 2010, 5:56 pm
Forum Regular

deng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to alldeng890 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dakota44
It's good to be the white guy. To paraphrase Mel Brooks.
Actually, I was born in Brazil (although I am white) the car I was in was me and 4 other latinos (who were darker skinned). They were all US Citizens, I was the only non-citizen at the time. All declared their citizenship without any problems...the only person that got any lip was me, the white guy

But that was one stop in Vermont and I won't argue about racial profiling and traffic stops...unfortunately it's very rampant, hell they've practically codified it in Arizona!
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:01 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zonie
I guess it does, but they find a lot of drugs and illegals this way. Well the dogs find the drugs, didn't I mention the dogs. Anyway y'all come and visit us down here but don't forget your green card.
This seems like a good time to tell my husband's funny story. He repairs oriental rugs, and he was on a road trip from CA to NM to go out to a job in NM. He was the passenger in the rug company's van. Both my husband and the driver are Iranian, with heavy accents. They were stopped at one of those checkpoints, and the officer asked the driver, what's in the back of the van? The driver said "rugs", but with his heavy accent, it sounded like "drugs". Imagine my husband's surprise when they were swiftly (and strictly!) ordered out of the van, and 2 more officers came over to search the van! It was pretty scary, but the officers soon realized the guy said "rugs", not "drugs", and after checking ID and GC, they let them go.

Rene
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by N1cky
What are you meant to carry before you get your green card, am I supposed to carry my passport everywhere with my visa in?
Supposedly, yes, since that's your proof of being legally in the USA. But what a hassle.

Rene
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My husband is a USC now, but when he was a PR, he carried his GC with him all the time in his wallet. He also made that I-10 to New Mexico road trip several times, and there was a checkpoint every time, where he had to show his GC.

I suppose now with the new law passed in AZ, he'll have to get one of those wallet-size passport cards and have that in his wallet to prove he's here legally. Ugh. What are the rest of us supposed to show??

Rene
If liberals weren't flipping switches over racial profiling, then you wouldn't have had to worry about it so you can thank the "stop the hate" crowd.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

frrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond reputefrrussre has a reputation beyond repute

This seems like a good time to tell my husband's funny story. He repairs oriental rugs, and he was on a road trip from CA to NM to go out to a job in NM. He was the passenger in the rug company's van. Both my husband and the driver are Iranian, with heavy accents. They were stopped at one of those checkpoints, and the officer asked the driver, what's in the back of the van? The driver said "rugs", but with his heavy accent, it sounded like "drugs". Imagine my husband's surprise when they were swiftly (and strictly!) ordered out of the van, and 2 more officers came over to search the van! It was pretty scary, but the officers soon realized the guy said "rugs", not "drugs", and after checking ID and GC, they let them go.

Rene

"Lost in translation", bit of a Saturday night live moment.

Reg. Frank R.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:35 pm

Originally Posted by frrussre

"Lost in translation", bit of a Saturday night live moment.

Reg. Frank R.
LOL, I can totally see Cheech n Chong doing that bit.

Rene
Old Apr 28th 2010, 6:48 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Rene
I have some bits of old carpet in the shed so I might throw those in the back of the car & try that out at the next traffic stop.

Oh wait, I don't have an accent..
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by benblaney
Do you fly domestically with your passport, then? I fly domestically with just my CO DL. I've never been asked my immigration status.
I always carry my passport when I fly, wherever it is. It's not particularly logical, but I've been given a hard time in the past by airport staff even when I had all the right documents on me and was totally legal, and now I'm paranoid.

For example the Immigration people at Seattle tried not to let me into the country because my Advance Parole was issued in Connecticut but I was flying into Seattle

Another question for others - have your small children ever been told they must sign their passports? When I flew into the US with my 6 year old she was told that she must sign her passport. I handed it to her and she said 'Mummy which way round does the Z go?' What a farce...
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rotoiti
Never carried my green card on me during the 5 years as a PR (2004-2009), with exception of international trips where it was needed for reentry. Never was asked to show it either.
I actually kept mine in a safety deposit box the whole time I had it on the premise I only needed it when reentering the country or starting a new job. A stolen wallet/green card struck me as likely to be a big pain in the ass so I certainly wasn't going to carry it around everywhere.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
If liberals weren't flipping switches over racial profiling, then you wouldn't have had to worry about it so you can thank the "stop the hate" crowd.
Alternatively if the Republicans in AZ hadn't enacted a law which was designed to blur the line on racial profiling under the guise of "National Security", there would be nothing to worry about either.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
I've been asked by airport security why I don't have it with me, even when on domestic flights. I've also been told that my visa has expired and that I shouldn't be in the country (er yes, it's a single-entry visa).
On domestic flights, why not simply show them a drivers license and avoid all the nonsense?
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
My husband always carries his.....What happens if you get pulled over by a police officer for a traffic stop and you don't have it on you?
Probably what would happen if I got stopped now post getting citizenship. After all, my accent didn't suddenly change when I became a citizen.
Old Apr 28th 2010, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
I always carry my passport when I fly, wherever it is. It's not particularly logical, but I've been given a hard time in the past by airport staff even when I had all the right documents on me and was totally legal, and now I'm paranoid.

For example the Immigration people at Seattle tried not to let me into the country because my Advance Parole was issued in Connecticut but I was flying into Seattle

Another question for others - have your small children ever been told they must sign their passports? When I flew into the US with my 6 year old she was told that she must sign her passport. I handed it to her and she said 'Mummy which way round does the Z go?' What a farce...
Domestically why would they give you a hard time if you only used a drivers license? Passport it never required for a domestic flight and TSA has no authority over deciding if someone is legal or not and if TSA agent is, they are stepping beyond their bounds.

Why is it a farce for the child to sign the passport, if they are old enough to do so its required, if too young the parents are to print the childs name.

"23. My child is too young to sign his/her own passport. How do I sign my child's passport?

In the space provided for the signature, the mother or father must print the child's name and sign their own name. Then, in parenthesis by the parent's name, write the word (mother) or (father) so we know who signed for the child."
Old Apr 28th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
I carry mine. I have also driven through lots of those check points on I-10. Interestingly enough each time they just waved us through with a hello and a smile, they didn't even ask if we were citizens. I guess it's because we're white. So it would appear to be clear that they already racially profile.
Perhaps they knew about your Knighthood.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.