Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

do we need a visa

do we need a visa

Old Mar 4th 2004, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

dazkers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default do we need a visa

my wife and i are hopefully going to the u.s for a short holiday in the nearfuture would we need a visa to travel there?
Old Mar 4th 2004, 7:26 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Are you British Citizens?
Old Mar 4th 2004, 7:29 pm
Just Joined

dazkers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by manc1976
Are you British Citizens?
yes we are manc
Old Mar 4th 2004, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

rogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud ofrogerpenycate has much to be proud of
Default Re: do we need a visa

Originally posted by dazkers
my wife and i are hopefully going to the u.s for a short holiday in the nearfuture would we need a visa to travel there?
At the moment (from the UK) it's quite simple.
They have a visa waiver progam which means you fill in a card on the plane with your address etc.
No need for a visa.

However, there is a possibility/probability that in October all of that will change when/if they withdraw this programme.
It would mean that in future you will need to travel to the US Embassy in London to get your visa (a short hop down the M1 !!)
prior to your trip. It used to be the same years ago.
This will cause chaos both to people coming on holiday and visitng us ex-pats who live here.
God knows what it will do to US tourism particularly in places like Florida.
This is a probability even though we are strong allies !!
Old Mar 4th 2004, 7:47 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dazkers
yes we are manc
you can come on a Visa Waiver until October I believe. Then you might need one of them new fancy biometric passports.
Old Mar 4th 2004, 10:22 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

This subject is very confusing!
I thought you would only need a visa if you had a new passport issued after the end of October. Anyone else can continue to use the visa waiver programme.
Any other advances?
Old Mar 4th 2004, 10:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Also, if you have a criminal conviction you need a visa
Old Mar 4th 2004, 10:43 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ladyofthelake
This subject is very confusing!
I thought you would only need a visa if you had a new passport issued after the end of October. Anyone else can continue to use the visa waiver programme.
Any other advances?

I think Manc is right on this one. Up until October, you can use the passport you have, no visa. After that, everyone will need a visa unless and until they get one of the new, machine readable ones. At least that's what my sister in England said.
Old Mar 5th 2004, 12:15 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute

All the info for British citizens currently resident in the UK (plus a list of all the other visa waiver countries) and intending to visit the USA is on the British Airways website.

It has an excellent overview of the new regulations set to come in force from 26 October for any visitors going to the USA:

http://www.ba.com (choose UK as your country of residence; then on the Homepage look on the right-hand side of the screen and click on "New US Travel Regulations").

Hope this helps!
Old Mar 5th 2004, 1:11 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

If you look at the UK Passport Service website, they say this:

Our understanding of the effect of the US requirements as they currently stand is:

Machine Readable Passports (i.e. the current type of British passport) issued up to and including 25 October 2004 are valid for visa-free travel to the US until the passport expires.

Machine Readable Passports, issued from 26 October 2004 onwards will need a visa attached by the US Embassy to permit travel to the USA.

Biometric Machine Readable Passports, available from mid 2005 are valid for visa-free travel to the US.

Passport Service