Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do we need new SS cards once we get GC?

Do we need new SS cards once we get GC?

Old May 3rd 2011, 2:43 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we need new SS cards once we get GC?

Originally Posted by meauxna
The Green Card IS the employment authorization. Once you're a PR however, you may present a photo ID like driver's license + Social Security card (without the legend) as hiring documents instead of the Green Card. Some people prefer that.
If your GC is lost, having the unrestricted Social Security card plus drivers licence may be the difference between getting a job and being unemployed.
Old May 3rd 2011, 7:00 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
If your GC is lost, having the unrestricted Social Security card plus drivers licence may be the difference between getting a job and being unemployed.
If you lose your GC you need a new one!
Old May 4th 2011, 1:31 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
If you lose your GC you need a new one!
Yes - but perhaps to state the very obvious, the SS+DL combination may be something you need in the meantime.
Old May 4th 2011, 9:26 am
Forum Regular

Mick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by JAJ
Yes - but perhaps to state the very obvious, the SS+DL combination may be something you need in the meantime.
When I took the Oath, April 8th, I applied for my passport, came on Monday.
So 25 days.
A mention, the problem in writing dates in the US, baffled me, month/day/year, but the passport? Date of birth, issue and expire date, number first, ie 27, second month, spelled out, Apr, then the year.

When did that change. Or did it.

The Passport came same day as passport card, still no Certificate. When it comes back, off to SS Office, with SS Card (like new, only been out of the safe twice!) and Cert. What changes, when I present those documents?
Old May 4th 2011, 1:11 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mick1935
What changes, when I present those documents?
Your SS card will be reissued. You won't notice any changes, it's entirely an internal SSA thingy.

Ian
Old May 4th 2011, 5:09 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

The whole flaw in these SS updates is if you had it 20 years or so ago they don't really have a way of checking the validity of the number. AFAIK, but I've seen it mentioned before. I was under the impression the "valid with DHS approval" moniker started to appear on them around 2003, before that if you didn't show work authorization, SSA would issue an SSN but it simply said "not valid for employment" on it. The problem with that one is that people faked SSN cards with the same number, which was a valid number, and as most employers don't use e-verify they could then work. The idea now is that you have to file a W-7 to get an ITIN if you need a number for other purposes, rather than getting an SSN.

There is currently a pilot programme so you can check the validity of your own SSN: http://www.dhs.gov/ynews/releases/pr_1300711524714.shtm

I have to say I'm fascinated to know what will come up when I bang my own SSN in sometime later this year...

Since Real ID came in though, even if you have one of the old SSN cards you've got to have ID to present with it and getting ID in the US now is much harder than it was back then.