Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do we need new SS cards once we get GC?

Do we need new SS cards once we get GC?

Old May 2nd 2011, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road
Default Do we need new SS cards once we get GC?

Hi all,

A quick question, related primarily to the timing of all this. As background, we have GC apps in which will probably take another 2-3 months to get finalized (all going well). My wife (L2) has just received her EAD card and is thinking of registering as a substitute teacher.

As I understand it from older threads, she needs to apply for a replacement SS card having received the EAD but I'm thinking it may be a waste of time if we need to apply again for another SS card once we get GC's. Will we need new SS cards once we get GC's?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Doug.
Old May 2nd 2011, 4:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do we need new SS cards once we get GC?

Probably, the USA is SS number dependent! Example if you interview at the compant I work for you have to bring you SS card to the interview. Many phone companies (cell) require your SS number, if you apply for credit you need your SS number. Some places don't require the actual card just the number. If it were me I would just get the new one anyway.
Old May 2nd 2011, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dougster75
Will we need new SS cards once we get GC's?
While your SS# will remain the same, you will want new cards, yes. Since almost every US government agency taps into SSA's database to confirm status, you'll want the SSA database to reflect your new status as PRs.

Ian
Old May 2nd 2011, 1:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't get a new one when I was a PR but I did update it when I became a citizen.
Old May 2nd 2011, 2:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You understand incorrectly.

Your wife and yourself will only exchange your social security card for one with the same number, but without the authorization by USCIS to work legend, when you receive your green cards.

The ss card with the legend and her EAD is enough for her to successfully complete the I-9 to work.

Hi all,

A quick question, related primarily to the timing of all this. As background, we have GC apps in which will probably take another 2-3 months to get finalized (all going well). My wife (L2) has just received her EAD card and is thinking of registering as a substitute teacher.

As I understand it from older threads, she needs to apply for a replacement SS card having received the EAD but I'm thinking it may be a waste of time if we need to apply again for another SS card once we get GC's. Will we need new SS cards once we get GC's?

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Doug.

Last edited by Rete; May 2nd 2011 at 2:57 pm.
Old May 2nd 2011, 4:23 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks,

Doug.
If she has a SS card now, she does not need to get a new one because she has added an EAD.

When you become PRs, you should go in and update your status with SSA. They will issue new cards without the legend on the front (about work authorization).

When/if you become citizens, you update again, and that's it.
Old May 2nd 2011, 6:41 pm
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road

Thanks all for great replies. Very helpful and will save a trip to the dreaded SS office.

Doug.
Old May 2nd 2011, 7:00 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
You understand incorrectly.

Your wife and yourself will only exchange your social security card for one with the same number, but without the authorization by USCIS to work legend, when you receive your green cards.

The ss card with the legend and her EAD is enough for her to successfully complete the I-9 to work.
That wasn't necessary when I got mine they said the GC was the authority to work
Old May 2nd 2011, 7:13 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thydney
That wasn't necessary when I got mine they said the GC was the authority to work
Killing pigs is not work ..
Old May 2nd 2011, 7:25 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Killing pigs is not work ..
O right but killing OBL is
Old May 2nd 2011, 7:28 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

O right but killing OBL is
Yup .and very highly paid .. you would like his bonus for the week
Old May 2nd 2011, 7:31 pm
Not dead yet

Originally Posted by Ray
Yup .and very highly paid .. you would like his bonus for the week
Wonder if they weighed him in for scrap
Old May 2nd 2011, 8:08 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

The Green Card IS the employment authorization. Once you're a PR however, you may present a photo ID like driver's license + Social Security card (without the legend) as hiring documents instead of the Green Card. Some people prefer that.

The legend on the SS card is to tip the employer that they must *also* see a document evidencing work authorization.
Old May 2nd 2011, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
The legend on the SS card is to tip the employer that they must *also* see a document evidencing work authorization.
Is the "valid for work only with DHS authorization" legend a (comparatively) recent thing? (I suppose it must be, since the DHS hasn't been around that long, but you know what I mean ...)

I still have the original social security card that I got in 1987 when I first arrived in the US on an H1-B visa and it doesn't have any such notation on it and therefore I didn't attempt to get a new one when I became a PR in 1992.
Old May 2nd 2011, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by md95065
Is the "valid for work only with DHS authorization" legend a (comparatively) recent thing? (I suppose it must be, since the DHS hasn't been around that long, but you know what I mean ...)

I still have the original social security card that I got in 1987 when I first arrived in the US on an H1-B visa and it doesn't have any such notation on it and therefore I didn't attempt to get a new one when I became a PR in 1992.
Yes, it changed in the 90s; until then there was just one flavor of SS card.
I'm pretty sure that's the origin of the legend.

This is a chronological summary of the milestones of the E-Verify Program (the electronic employment eligibility verification program formerly known as the Basic Pilot Program).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.