Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do US CD's play in the UK

Do US CD's play in the UK

Old Nov 27th 2004, 12:23 am
Pagan Sex God

Patrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond reputePatrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do US CD's play in the UK

I am tihnking of buying my brother the Kylie CD for christmas but need to know if CD's bought in the USA will play on UK CD players?
Old Nov 27th 2004, 12:53 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do US CD's play in the UK

Originally Posted by Pulaski
CDs are not region coded, not ever, they are in a single, global, format. You can buy without worries and know that your Christmas gift will play just fine on any CD player, British or otherwise.

I bought many US import CDS when I lived in Britain, and now sometimes buy CDs from Germany. I have never had a problem.
It works for books too. I bought a book from amazon.com and I was able to read it in the UK.

Last edited by DaveC; Nov 27th 2004 at 12:56 am.
Old Nov 27th 2004, 2:21 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patrick
I am tihnking of buying my brother the Kylie CD for christmas but need to know if CD's bought in the USA will play on UK CD players?

Is this a trick question? I have bought US CDs (ones bought in the US) since the 90s and all have played OK on UK CD players!!

NC Penguin
Old Nov 27th 2004, 3:23 am
Forum Regular

Marmitemaniac is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Do US CD's play in the UK

Originally Posted by DaveC
It works for books too. I bought a book from amazon.com and I was able to read it in the UK.
Good one

Old Nov 27th 2004, 3:32 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Hehe...same goes for the humble tape and minidisc's.

Only problem you might have with some CD's are the copy protection which tends to be more popular in the states that make it difficult to play them on the computer, but as they say, the Sharpie is a useful pen
It's no probs with normal cd players though.
Old Nov 27th 2004, 5:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You just have to remember to put in the 'u's they tend to leave out.

Must be a cost control issue to save ink.
Old Nov 27th 2004, 10:18 am
UK & US Citizen

ScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond reputeScousePete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
You just have to remember to put in the 'u's they tend to leave out.

Must be a cost control issue to save ink.
That's why if you look at the back of any paperback, you will see it is more expensive to buy the Canadian version than the US version. That and the additional letters in the work alluminium

BTW, if anyone didn't know it - Patrick is taking the piss
Old Nov 27th 2004, 12:30 pm
Brit'n'TX

Originally Posted by Pulaski
CDs are not region coded, not ever, they are in a single, global, format. You can buy without worries and know that your Christmas gift will play just fine on any CD player, British or otherwise.

I bought many US import CDS when I lived in Britain, and now sometimes buy CDs from Germany. I have never had a problem.
I wonder how many other posters took you seriously and then deleted their posts hoping not to look silly .... I mean, Kylie hasn't released a new album in ages ...

Old Nov 27th 2004, 1:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brit'n'TX
I wonder how many other posters took you seriously and then deleted their posts hoping not to look silly .... I mean, Kylie hasn't released a new album in ages ...
But would you want to admit you knew whether she had or had not?

Might be a double cover up.

Nice bottom
Old Nov 27th 2004, 1:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

... I mean, Kylie hasn't released a new album in ages ...
still not a bad arse tho
Old Nov 27th 2004, 2:44 pm
Forum Regular

pdamiant is an unknown quantity at this point

A tip for all, buy a "PHILLIPS DVD 724" it plays everything that is region coded, from DVD to CDR, CDV and anything else that has been put on a disc all for $150, phillips will tell you in the instruction manual that it wont, and i even called them and they denied it too, but it works a treat.

WHAT THE HELL DO YOU WANT TO PAY MONEY FOR A KYLIE CD FOR ANYWAY, SHE IS SHITE
Old Nov 27th 2004, 5:18 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

The format is different but there is a workaround. You should place the CDs in the freezer for at least a week. After a week, take them straight from the freezer and place them in the microwave and nuke on high for 15 minutes.

This will remove the regional coding software on the CD and you're brother will be able to play them without incident.
Old Nov 27th 2004, 5:22 pm
Brit'n'TX

Originally Posted by rincewind
The format is different but there is a workaround. You should place the CDs in the freezer for at least a week. After a week, take them straight from the freezer and place them in the microwave and nuke on high for 15 minutes.

This will remove the regional coding software on the CD and you're brother will be able to play them without incident.
you know, I can never tell whether you're joking or not ...

Old Nov 27th 2004, 5:33 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by rincewind
Love it....having said that, guy next door at uni nuked a CD in the microwave...scary thing was, the microwave was one he found in a skip...and he tried it outside...half sensible you might think...
but it was pissing it down when he tried it...the CD's did make lots of pretty colours before they melted and the whole thing blew up and tripped the fuse to our block...
not very funny when it killed the mini render farm we had going, 4 computers we had hooked up were rendering somin' for a mate, about 4 hours in, with another 6 hours of rendering to go and two of the puters got knocked out by the fuzz...those guys weren't happy bunnies
Old Nov 27th 2004, 5:37 pm
You Are All Diseased

rincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond reputerincewind has a reputation beyond repute

you know, I can never tell whether you're joking or not ...
Careful, I almost gave you karma for that compliment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.