Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do some US tech companies provide health insurance for the whole family.

Do some US tech companies provide health insurance for the whole family.

Old Aug 27th 2021, 10:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do some US tech companies provide health insurance for the whole family?

My youngest 27YO daughter here in Aus has managed to secure a job in a fairly senior role in a well-known Silicon Valley tech company. She's telling my wife and I that we get included in her health insurance package. Looks like she'll be doing a lot of travelling eventually as well. Just wondered if that was a usual thing for health insurance to include parents as part of a remuneration package. Or is that quite unlikely?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 27th 2021 at 11:06 am. Reason: Personal
Old Aug 27th 2021, 12:32 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do some US tech companies provide health insurance for the whole family.

Anything is possible but it is very unlikely. Is she thinking that family coverage covers all family members? That term almost always means spouse/partner and dependent children.
Old Aug 27th 2021, 12:36 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do some US tech companies provide health insurance for the whole family.

At the risk of asking an obvious question, are you already based in the US?
Old Aug 27th 2021, 1:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Very very very unlikely.
Old Aug 27th 2021, 1:37 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant
I'll answer for Ozzie because he's probably in bed, he lives in Australia.
Old Aug 27th 2021, 1:46 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'll join the others and say it is highly unlikely that her company's healthcare plan will cover you and your wife. Even if the company is still one of the few that doesn't require their employees to contribute monetarily to their healthcare coverage, she will probably have to contribute to the cost of healthcare for her spouse and offspring.

You are 'family' but not immediate family.

What visas would you and your wife be eligible for in order to live and possibly work in the US?
Old Aug 27th 2021, 2:06 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

I would be amazed at any company health insurance package covering the parents of the primary insured person. Family plans usually mean a couple or single parent and their children. US health insurance for elderly immigrants will be very expensive and hard to buy and you need to have been a US permanent resident for at least 5 years before you can apply for Medicare and supplemental insurance and even then you'll have to pay for Part A so for each person it will be well over $500/month
Old Aug 27th 2021, 2:40 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I guess a company can pay for whether benefits it wants, as other note I think it’s highly unlikely any policy would cover parents, maybe if they were mentally and/or physically disabled and were classed as a legal dependent.

that said, what use do you you have for US health insurance in Australia? Unless it’s the international type plan I can’t see it wound cover much if anything down there anyway and it would all be out if network.

Old Aug 27th 2021, 2:45 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'll answer for Ozzie because he's probably in bed, he lives in Australia.
That's what I thought.

What visas would you and your wife be eligible for in order to live and possibly work in the US?
And that was going to be my follow up. The OPs child would have to be a USC before they can sponsor the OP for a visa, assuming they are not independently eligible.
Old Aug 27th 2021, 9:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by civilservant

No, here in Melbourne and coverage is for here is what she has been told.

We don't intend to reside in the US at any stage, and I doubt at this stage unless something incredible turns her head if my daughter will.

Shes handling the role within this company in Australia and SE Asia.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Aug 27th 2021 at 9:57 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2021, 9:55 pm
Often not so civil...

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

Wow. I have never heard of anything like this in any other situation.
Old Aug 27th 2021, 10:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Is she going to be employed by the Australian branch of the US company ie. paid, taxed and insured in Australia?

I agree that paying for parents' health insurance is not usual.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Aug 27th 2021 at 10:27 pm.
Old Aug 27th 2021, 11:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Is she going to be employed by the Australian branch of the US company ie. paid, taxed and insured in Australia?

I agree that paying for parents' health insurance is not usual.
Yes I believe so. She'll be managing and directing a team here. Her interviews were all live with people in the US though.

Shes a CSM.

Old Aug 27th 2021, 11:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sounds like a question for the Australian forum
Old Aug 28th 2021, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle

We don't intend to reside in the US at any stage, and I doubt at this stage unless something incredible turns her head if my daughter will.

Shes handling the role within this company in Australia and SE Asia.
So really not a question for the US forum then.

Edit: Boiler beat me to it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.