British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   To Do list/Leaving England!!!!!...... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/do-list-leaving-england-197583/)

dunroving Dec 18th 2003 9:03 pm

Originally posted by Yosser
Yeah I tried that AA international license thing, BUT Texas being Texas they weren't having none of it.

I tried to get around the piss-take of a driving test by claiming my AA drivers license was the dogs bollex and that I had driven in 27 different countries ;)

All the officer said was "get to the end of the line boy and take the test".

worth a try!
Did he really call you "boy"?

So, Yosser, why didn't you give him the nut? Was it the service-issue revolver he was packing? ;)

BlueScottyGirl Dec 18th 2003 9:16 pm

Yeah I tried that AA international license thing, BUT Texas being Texas they weren't having none of it.

I tried to get around the piss-take of a driving test by claiming my AA drivers license was the dogs bollex and that I had driven in 27 different countries ;)

All the officer said was "get to the end of the line boy and take the test".

worth a try!
Did you pass??

*has an RAC international driving permit* funny how our UK licence counts for nothing in some countries but that little booklet thing that takes five mins to get from the PO is compulsory in some countries (had to get mine for South Africa)

Yosser Dec 18th 2003 10:35 pm

Originally posted by dunroving
Did he really call you "boy"?

So, Yosser, why didn't you give him the nut? Was it the service-issue revolver he was packing? ;)
Yep "boy" he reminded me of that sheriff from James Bond the one that spat his 'backy' out everywhere, I wasn't going to give mister itchey trigger finger any lip, so I proceeded to drive around the block for 5 minutes then they handed me a TX drivers license also you do a multi-guess test and if you fail that, then you deserve to catch a bus everyday;)

I witnessed some Indian lady try and reverse park it took her about 20 times and they still passed her:scared:

and people wonder why there's so many wrecks, I ask ya!

Pimpbot Dec 18th 2003 10:42 pm

1 Attachment(s)

Yep "boy" he reminded me of that sheriff from James Bond
"I sure am boy!"

bucklt Dec 19th 2003 9:02 am

Originally posted by jan_michigan
Hey waxwabbit great to hear you got your visa !!

If you have a UK bank account they may try and charge to send your statements to the US, LLoyds TSB (booo hissss) did this to me so I have them sent to mum and she forwards them on to me.

Good luck with the big move !

Jan :)

Why not look up your bank ststements on the web and then print them out?

I can do this with my own bank here in UK.

bucklt Dec 19th 2003 9:09 am

Re: To Do list/Leaving England!!!!!......

Originally posted by waxwabbit
Okay guys

Can you tell me what things that I may otherwise not dream of (or forget) that I need to do prior to leaving to go to the USA.

I can remember something about contacting the IRS to inform them Im going and see if Im due a refund? (I think)

Any others?

:confused:
If you are leaving property/insurance policies etc back in UK, it may be worth your while to have a WILL made out under UK law!

PrincessofWales Dec 19th 2003 12:04 pm

Originally posted by BritishInOhio
Why?
so you can claim somthing akin to an old age pension when you retire

RubyWine Dec 20th 2003 6:52 am

If you can, try and stay with your doctor and dentist! That way, if your ever back over on holiday you will get treated!

Just a little thing, but it may help in the end

AmerLisa Dec 20th 2003 8:46 am

Originally posted by DaveC
Get your mail redirected from your UK address to your US address. Go to http://www.royalmail.com/ and click on moving home. I get my UK bank statements that way.

Thanks for that link Dave. We are also moving soon from the UK (next month, waiting to exchange contracts and then we are outta here!) and needed to redirect mail. Didn't realize it cost money to do it though, wow.

DaveC Dec 20th 2003 4:06 pm

Originally posted by AmerLisa
Thanks for that link Dave. We are also moving soon from the UK (next month, waiting to exchange contracts and then we are outta here!) and needed to redirect mail. Didn't realize it cost money to do it though, wow.
Another thing you might consider doing before you leave is signing up with the Mailing Preference Service. It's free to register but it takes a couple of weeks for the service to start. This should reduce the amount of junk mail sent to your UK address and then redirected internationally.

It does work, over the last few months I've seen a noticeable reduction in the amount of unsolicited UK mail I receive here.

You can register on line or phone for an application form. I phoned as I didn't know about the online registration option.
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/html/default.asp

Good luck with the move!

Patrick Dec 20th 2003 4:24 pm

Originally posted by RubyWine
If you can, try and stay with your doctor and dentist! That way, if your ever back over on holiday you will get treated!

Just a little thing, but it may help in the end
Just a little illegal thing, but it may help you being convicted of a crime.

When you leave the UK, you are officially no longer a resident and have to return your NHS card. You are no longer eligible for treatment under the NHS - anything else is illegal and you are not entitled to it.

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb, Dumb, Dumb

Patrick

dunroving Dec 20th 2003 5:15 pm

Originally posted by Patrick
Just a little illegal thing, but it may help you being convicted of a crime.

When you leave the UK, you are officially no longer a resident and have to return your NHS card. You are no longer eligible for treatment under the NHS - anything else is illegal and you are not entitled to it.

Dumb, Dumb, Dumb, Dumb, Dumb

Patrick
Patrick: Is it UK residence that qualifies you for NHS service? I thought it was payment of NI contributions(?) If so, would someone who continues paying NI contributions while overseas be eligible for NHS treatment?

Also, I wonder if eligibility stops the day you leave to be resident elsewhere, or continues to the end of the tax year in which you've paid NI contributions.

I feel like I should know this, but I don't. Haven't received NHS treatment since 1983. I know a LOT of expats who do go back for treatment, but I've heard they're clamping down.

Lastly, I presume that if you need treatment while visting the UK, you'd be eligible for emergency/acute care, as any visitor would be (?).

Guess I'm a lot more clueless about this than I thought.

DaveC Dec 20th 2003 5:35 pm

There have been whole threads about this topic on this forum, here's one of the most contentious. Apologies for opening any old wounds.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=NHS

dunroving Dec 21st 2003 1:31 am

Originally posted by DaveC
There have been whole threads about this topic on this forum, here's one of the most contentious. Apologies for opening any old wounds.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=NHS
Whoa! How did I miss that one? Must have been asleep. There was some useful information, in between everything else. Thanks for the link.

One of the posts asked what would happen if you came over to the States and had a medical emergency. As no-one responded to that, I can definitively say that they'll come after you. I needed emergency treatment here during a short trip. I got billed back in the U.K., for a couple of thousand quid. Luckily, I had U.K. medical insurance. I was a bit surprised to get the bill, as no-one mentioned anything about money during the whole time I was in the hospital.

On the subject of US medical care and money, that's something that amazes me - they rarely seem to tell you how much it will cost until after the fact. The doc recently booked me in for a diagnostic test, and luckily I called and asked before the appointment how much it was going to cost - over $2,000! I told them to forget it. I figured the heart attack from getting the bill was more likely to kill me than what they were testing for!

Patrick Dec 21st 2003 3:47 pm

Patrick: Is it UK residence that qualifies you for NHS service? I thought it was payment of NI contributions(?) If so, would someone who continues paying NI contributions while overseas be eligible for NHS treatment?
Only UK residents are allowed to have free NHS treatment - you pay NI contributions soley for your pension.

Also, I wonder if eligibility stops the day you leave to be resident elsewhere, or continues to the end of the tax year in which you've paid NI contributions.
The second you stop being a resident you are not eligible.

Lastly, I presume that if you need treatment while visting the UK, you'd be eligible for emergency/acute care, as any visitor would be (?).

You should have insurance!

Guess I'm a lot more clueless about this than I thought.
yes!

Patrick