Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do Ineed an International Drivers Permit?

Do Ineed an International Drivers Permit?

Old Jan 11th 2010, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all
Default Do Ineed an International Drivers Permit?

Connecticut DMV website says you can drive on a foreign license with an IDP stating the reason you need one of these is to make your license comprehensible to US police in case you are stopped.

As I have an English driving license, and hopefull the police would be able to read this (!!), does anyone know if I still need to get one?

Copied from Connecticut DMV website:

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=805&q=244730

An International Driver Permit (IDP) is essentially an English translation of a foreign language drivers license issued by a foreign country. These permits can only be obtained in the country which issued the actual license.

Visitors to Connecticut:
An International Driver Permit is not considered a valid license. It must accompany the valid foreign license. The reason to have an IDP is to ensure that your foreign language license will be comprehensible and therefore acceptable to all officials who may ask to see your driver's license. The DMV may not accept a foreign language license as a license unless it is accompanied by an IDP.

Note: If you have an International Driver Permit, keep it with your foreign operator's license at all times.

Connecticut Residents Traveling Abroad:
If you hold a Connecticut Driver's License and will be traveling abroad for an extended stay in a non-English speaking country and you plan to operate a motor vehicle there, you can obtain an International Driver Permit by contacting your local Automobile Association of America (AAA).
Old Jan 11th 2010, 12:31 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do Ineed an International Drivers Permit?

An International Driver's License is only for those licenses that are in a language other than English. No you do not require one.

Are you going to the US as a visitor or with an immigration visa. If a visa, just use your UK license. If using a visa such as a spousal visa, work visa, student visa, etc. you need to change your license within a certain amount of time to a state license or can be ticketed. You cannot drive on a foreign license indefinitely.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

I am going on an L1-A visa to Connecticut - their DMV website seems to indicate that I can drive on my UK license for 1 year before needing to apply for a license in that state. I have emailed the DMV although it says that it can take them up to 7 days to respond.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

From the DMV website, although I am not sure what their definition of "visitor" is:

International Driver Permit Holders:
Visitors from another country are permitted to use their valid out-of-country license here in Connecticut for a period of one year with an International Driver Permit obtained from your home country.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:15 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You are NOT a visitor. You will be considered a resident of Connecticut from the date you enter. Following the guidelines for obtaining a Connecticut license by a new resident.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:16 pm
Concierge

Read and following the instructions on their site for new residents:

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a...=|28069|#28073
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:21 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EricK
Connecticut DMV website says you can drive on a foreign license with an IDP stating the reason you need one of these is to make your license comprehensible to US police in case you are stopped.

As I have an English driving license, and hopefull the police would be able to read this (!!), does anyone know if I still need to get one?

Copied from Connecticut DMV website:

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=805&q=244730

An International Driver Permit (IDP) is essentially an English translation of a foreign language drivers license issued by a foreign country. These permits can only be obtained in the country which issued the actual license.

Visitors to Connecticut:
An International Driver Permit is not considered a valid license. It must accompany the valid foreign license. The reason to have an IDP is to ensure that your foreign language license will be comprehensible and therefore acceptable to all officials who may ask to see your driver's license. The DMV may not accept a foreign language license as a license unless it is accompanied by an IDP.

Note: If you have an International Driver Permit, keep it with your foreign operator's license at all times.

Connecticut Residents Traveling Abroad:
If you hold a Connecticut Driver's License and will be traveling abroad for an extended stay in a non-English speaking country and you plan to operate a motor vehicle there, you can obtain an International Driver Permit by contacting your local Automobile Association of America (AAA).
Just get a CT licence, if you have passed a British test the Yank one should be a piece of piss.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:32 pm
Forum Regular

Wow - so it seems I have 30 days to arrange and take a test in CT?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:47 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Wow - so it seems I have 30 days to arrange and take a test in CT?
You make it sound like it's the most difficult thing you've done since learning to tie your shoelaces. Stop procrastinating and just do it -- it's a piece of piss except for the bureaucracy.

And on your original question, spend the tenner or whatever with the RAC and bring one. It's unlikely you'll need it but you never know what trick the behind-the-counter idiot might pull next. If you never need it, it's not a great loss, is it?
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:54 pm
Forum Regular

No agreed not the most difficult thing in the world, although as you can imagine time is short when I arrive on Saturday 27th Feb, start work on Monday 1st March working long days and also need to sort out getting my social security number, open bank accounts, find somewhere to live (work is putting me up in an Avalon for 30 days), generally sort my life out, apply for a test and feel comfortable with road signs, rules of the road etc in order to pass..... a little extra time **would** have been nice.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 1:59 pm
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

No agreed not the most difficult thing in the world, although as you can imagine time is short when I arrive on Saturday 27th Feb, start work on Monday 1st March working long days and also need to sort out getting my social security number, open bank accounts, find somewhere to live (work is putting me up in an Avalon for 30 days), generally sort my life out, apply for a test and feel comfortable with road signs, rules of the road etc in order to pass..... a little extra time **would** have been nice.
Then don't drive for a while.
Old Jan 11th 2010, 2:02 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Work will have to be flexible. They've brought you here, they can find you some time.

The manual is here: http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=2594&q=400260. Don't ignore the teenage crap because it doesn't apply to you. It might not....but it will be in the test.