Reload this Page >

Do I need travel insurance when going back to Britain

Do I need travel insurance when going back to Britain

Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

hippym is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need travel insurance when going back to Britain

Hi there,

I am uk and usa citizen living in the us for past 11 years. Usually when i go back to visit Britain, I don't obtain travel insurance. When I have had to go to doctor there it has been covered as an emergency visit, and I did not get a bill. Right now I am pregnant and my sister has swine flu ( in England.) I am supposed to go back to uk next week - just wondering if i should obtain some kind of travel insurance as my risk for needing a doctor or needing to go to hospital are greater at this time. Anyone any experience with this? Do you get insurance when returning to Britain?

Thanks
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 1:57 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need travel insurance when going back to Britain

Originally Posted by hippym
Hi there,

I am uk and usa citizen living in the us for past 11 years. Usually when i go back to visit Britain, I don't obtain travel insurance. When I have had to go to doctor there it has been covered as an emergency visit, and I did not get a bill. Right now I am pregnant and my sister has swine flu ( in England.) I am supposed to go back to uk next week - just wondering if i should obtain some kind of travel insurance as my risk for needing a doctor or needing to go to hospital are greater at this time. Anyone any experience with this? Do you get insurance when returning to Britain?

Thanks
Check your US health insurance policy, mine covers me in the UK as well as most other countries...
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 3:24 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Worth getting, if nothing else for lost baggage or sorting out a hotel/ new flights in a cancellation etc.

ER visits would be covered by the NHS, don't know if your US medical insurance would cover repatriation costs in the event of a long stay though.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute

Why go and risk getting swine flu when you are pregnant. It might be wise to get travel insurance if you need to cancel a flight or end up getting sick and can't fly back when you had originally booked. Your luggage could go missing and you would need to buy replacements. It is a good idea to have insurace, but shop around to get the best deal.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 6:27 pm
Forum Regular

Lazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to allLazzza is a name known to all

The answer is yes of course you need insurance! Whilst you may be covered for medical treatment in the UK under the NHS, you would not be covered for such things as missing luggage, flights home, medical repatriation and so on.

I live in and travel around the UK all the time and I have travel insurance to cover me, just in case. I am sure you should have the same! I am on here because I may well be moving to Houston Tx next year.

Just as an aside, I am also a solicitor and I am fairly sure I am right on the insurance thing.

Insurance if inexpensive. Think about the costs you would have if you had an accident or lost all your luggage or the like.

Better safe than sorry!!!
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 6:51 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Check your Credit card as well most cover insurance.
Old Jul 23rd 2009, 7:10 pm
Just Joined

hippym is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies. I don't care about general travel insurance, just the health insurance part. I always book my flights with my credit card, which covers things like if you lose luggage or end up needing to cancel your flight. I have always been advised buying extra is redundant as most credit cards cover these costs, plus you are covered through the airline if they lose your bags. I found out my health insurance here in the US does cover emergency care and urgent care in Britain, just as though I was here in the USA. Thanks to the person who mentioned this. I have used the NHS prior on my trips home, and never once has anyone even questioned me or suggested that I pay!! I'm not saying this is right, but I am wondering if noone really ever checks, especially if the person needing care has a British accent.

p.s I live in NY - we have the highest rate of swine flu in the world, i could cancel my trip and catch it right here in the supermarket, so I don't feel that canceling my trip is necessary as I'm at risk whereever I am.
Old Jul 24th 2009, 4:24 am
member of little note

made of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond reputemade of kent has a reputation beyond repute

the British accent issn't needed, I have looked after many Americans and none EU/UKC in my time in the NHS and the money is rarely recovered or even asked for, but sometimes it is? I only remember 1 occation when I was a student nurse and the gentleman had flown from the US to Heathrow got down to Margate and had what can only be discribed as a very painful, and embarressing condition (not to nurses and doctors, but pts seem to be??) it was clear he hadn't got med insurence in the US as he told me he had been quoted the cost of the op in the US and realised a plane ticket was cheaper, he hadn't visited home in 25 years!
Old Jul 24th 2009, 5:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the replies. I don't care about general travel insurance, just the health insurance part. I always book my flights with my credit card, which covers things like if you lose luggage or end up needing to cancel your flight. I have always been advised buying extra is redundant as most credit cards cover these costs, plus you are covered through the airline if they lose your bags. I found out my health insurance here in the US does cover emergency care and urgent care in Britain, just as though I was here in the USA. Thanks to the person who mentioned this. I have used the NHS prior on my trips home, and never once has anyone even questioned me or suggested that I pay!! I'm not saying this is right, but I am wondering if noone really ever checks, especially if the person needing care has a British accent.
I agree with all of this, but I would also check that your health insurance covers the cost of repatriation (mine does) especially as you are pregnant. Personally, I've never take out additional travel insurance; I think it's a complete waste of money if you have adequate health insurance and credit card travel benefits.

I visited an NHS doctor for non-emergency treatment on my last visit to England. Even though I offered to pay they declined to charge me.
Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Muswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond reputeMuswell Hill has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there,

Thanks
Just looked at the last 3 policies i had from different countries for travel ins and pregnancy is a pre existing condition and not covered. No doctor or hospital in the UK will deny you treatment if you need it and don't have travel insurance. Medicine just doesn't work the American way in the UK...thank goodness.

Get a policy for lost luggage and delays that includes medical, and i bet you use the lost luggage and delayed flight coverage more!!
Old Jul 25th 2009, 5:17 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Do I need travel insurance when going back to Britain

We once made an enquiry about coverage for overseas travel when we were with either United Healthcare or Aetna.

We were.....but it only kicked in after we paid the first $500 of the claim.