Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do I need a passport to get into Canada ?

Do I need a passport to get into Canada ?

Old Aug 30th 2006, 12:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really niceMrDub is just really nice
Default Do I need a passport to get into Canada ?

Having just received my first permanent card I am heading up to Niagara Falls (the Canadian side) for a long weekend this weekend. I was wondering if I needed to bring my passport or is my permanent resident card sufficient ?.

Thanks,
Old Aug 30th 2006, 12:35 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need a passport to get into Canada ?

Originally Posted by MrDub
Having just received my first permanent card I am heading up to Niagara Falls (the Canadian side) for a long weekend this weekend. I was wondering if I needed to bring my passport or is my permanent resident card sufficient ?.

Thanks,
I go to Canada with my PR card only all the time.
from next year however you'll also need your passport.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

peter1966 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would take your passport. Even though your a perm resident, your not a US Citizen... Dont take the chance.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 1:45 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peter1966
I would take your passport. Even though your a perm resident, your not a US Citizen... Dont take the chance.
oooh maybe I'm wrong then

I only go to Canada once a week.

International Travel
A Permanent Resident of the United States can travel freely outside of the US. A passport from the country of citizenship is normally all that is needed. To reenter the US a Permanent Resident normally needs to present the green card (Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551) for readmission. A reentry permit is needed for reentry for trips greater than one year but less than two years in duration.

http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/PermRes.htm
persons lawfully admitted to the United States for permanent residence who are in possession of their alien registration card (Green card) or can provide other evidence of permanent residence.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/visas.html

Last edited by Manc; Aug 30th 2006 at 2:02 pm.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 2:21 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
You are probably right, but I always take my PP...better to err on the safe side if its your first visit. The Canadians don't even bother to look at ID if going over the border by car but coming back into the US is a different story. I know a GC should suffice but I still take my PP.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 2:43 pm
Just Joined

eepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rougheepgmik is a jewel in the rough

Thanks,
I saw in the local paper that they are changing the borders of the US by Jan 2007 so that everyone (including USCs) will need a passport. This is for air and boat at first and then next for car later on.

This won't affect you this time but will affect everyone soon!

Martin
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Do I need a passport to get into Canada ?

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You are probably right, but I always take my PP...better to err on the safe side if its your first visit. The Canadians don't even bother to look at ID if going over the border by car but coming back into the US is a different story. I know a GC should suffice but I still take my PP.
In May I was detained at the border crossing for 1.5 hours because one of my passengers did not have the correct travel documents......and that was going into Canada!

I travel numerous times every year over the border, and, always show my Passport to the authorities, along with my Green Card.

Last time coming back into the States, I asked a Senior Immigration Official about the situation regarding passports for US Citizens. he told me that they are looking at requiring Passports from January 1st 2008, but, that is subject to change.

I will be leaving during the 2nd week of September for 3 back to back tours, which will see me visit Nova Scotia and New England. I will check again on the requirements. I will not be back home until Mid-October, but, I should have access to a computer at one of my hotels.

Cheers!

Jim.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:25 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

I go to Canada once a week and they always ask for both my GC and passport.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:27 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Russ&Jayne
I go to Canada once a week and they always ask for both my GC and passport.
We usually use the Lewiston Bridge crossing...sometimes the Canadian immigration official doesn't even look up. Last time he was sticking labels onto something...much more important than looking at PP's. Must admit I haven't been to Canada since they rounded up the terrorist cell in Toronto a few months ago...so things may have changed at the border crossing.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
We usually use the Lewiston Bridge crossing...sometimes the Canadian immigration official doesn't even look up. Last time he was sticking labels onto something...much more important than looking at PP's. Must admit I haven't been to Canada since they rounded up the terrorist cell in Toronto a few months ago...so things may have changed at the border crossing.

My husband says your licence plate is screened before your reach the kiosk...it certainly is on the US side. At christmas when my daughter was driving home the US official said 'Going home for the holidays....when are you back at college' and waved her straight through.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:34 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
I only go to Canada once a week.
]
Still moose hunting .............
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:37 pm
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Ray
Still moose hunting .............
bagged me a 12 pointer 3 weeks ago.
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

EmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond reputeEmmaPeel has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
Right now you dont need a passport, though make sure to take your GC and drivers license..... This rule is set to change Jan 1, 2008.
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/wingdings-911.html
Old Aug 30th 2006, 3:41 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmmaPeel
Right now you dont need a passport, though make sure to take your GC and drivers license..... This rule is set to change Jan 1, 2008.
http://www.hoax-slayer.com/wingdings-911.html
Are you getting you URLs mixed up ....
Old Aug 30th 2006, 4:06 pm
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Are you getting you URLs mixed up ....

I'm thinking so.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.