Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do I need to get kids SSNs for tax filing?

Do I need to get kids SSNs for tax filing?

Old Jun 10th 2009, 4:43 pm
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road
Default Do I need to get kids SSNs for tax filing?

Hi - Someone mentioned to me today that I need to get the kids SSNs in order to include them as dependents on my tax return. Does anyone know if this is the case?

If so, how easy is it to get an SSN for the child of an L1 (since they wouldn't e allowed to work if they were of working age)?

Cheers,

Doug.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need to get kids SSNs for tax filing?

If they don't qualify for SSN's (I have no idea if they do as L2 visa holders), you need to apply for ITINs (Individual Tax Identification Number) for them. I think the process of applying ITINs is that you can only apply for an ITIN at the same time as filing your taxes.

But yes, you will need an SSN or ITIN in order to claim your kids as dependents on your taxes.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 4:52 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dougster75,

No you don't need SSN's for the kids. Our first tax return this year we filled in a form W7 which we submitted with our tax return which got my son an ITIN (Individual Taxpayer Identification Number) which is all they need to be claimed as a dependent.

The letter came through with the number about 4 weeks later and our tax refund should be here June 16th - yay !
Old Jun 10th 2009, 4:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

sambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond reputesambapink has a reputation beyond repute

They will need ITIN numbers - and you can apply for them at anytime, but at the time of filing is usual. You need a W7 form and somesort of Tax Professional to countersign it/verify docs. Make sure everything is filled in correctly and all the supporting docs are sent along with it - it's a bugger to put right (I have found!)
Old Jun 10th 2009, 4:56 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dougster75
Hi - Someone mentioned to me today that I need to get the kids SSNs in order to include them as dependents on my tax return. Does anyone know if this is the case?

If so, how easy is it to get an SSN for the child of an L1 (since they wouldn't e allowed to work if they were of working age)?

Cheers,

Doug.
Doug, please go back to your other thread where I explained that. I got a message in email that was passed on to you there also.

Then pay attention to the ITIN advice you're getting here.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Dougster75 is on a distinguished road

Thanks meauxna (and everyone). Your advice and help is much appreciated. I don't want you to think that I hadn't read the other thread though. That one specifically dealt with my wife who can tick the box that says she is allowed to work. However, it's my understanding that my children (even if they were of working age), would not be able to tick that box so their situation is different and so this ITIN info is great for dealing with them.

Cheers again,

Doug.