Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do I need to get an ESTA ?

Do I need to get an ESTA ?

Old Aug 16th 2017, 10:50 am
Forum Regular

Stevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do I need to get an ESTA ?

Hi, I'm flying out from the the U.K. to the states in September to activate my U.S. visa. However I need to return back to England afterwards. I'm wondering do I need to still set up an ESTA?
Any help is appreciated.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 11:09 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need to get an ESTA ?

Originally Posted by Stevie P
Hi, I'm flying out from the the U.K. to the states in September to activate my U.S. visa. However I need to return back to England afterwards. I'm wondering do I need to still set up an ESTA?
Any help is appreciated.
No, you don't. You will become a permanent resident upon arrival and have no further need for any visas for the USA ever again unless you abandon your residency.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 11:10 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

ESTA is for those looking to enter on the Visa Waiver Program. Since you'll have a visa it's not required.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

Stevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond reputeStevie P has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you for the quick replies, that's great, really appreciate you taking the time to clear this up for me.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

ubernathan is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, I'm flying out from the the U.K. to the states in September to activate my U.S. visa.
Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
You will become a permanent resident upon arrival and have no further need for any visas for the USA ever again unless you abandon your residency.
Nope. If Stevie is on a visa, it will [ETA: usually] have a timeout period. 'Permanent Residence' is more commonly referred to as a Green Card, which is not a visa. Even that needs renewing every 10 years. (Visa holders go through the 'visitor' immigration queue. GC holders go through the 'Citizens and LPRs' queue.)

Depending on the visa, Stevie may need to leave and reenter to renew the visa period. For instance, an L1 visa is initially valid for 5 years, but can be extended to 7. However, one may only remain in the USA for a contiguous period of 3 years. As I understand a short trip in and out of Canada suffices to break that contiguity.

'Permanent residency' and 'resident alien' are not the same thing.

It is correct that the ESTA thing is no longer needed, when you have a Visa.

Last edited by ubernathan; Aug 16th 2017 at 1:03 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 12:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ubernathan
Nope. If Stevie is on a visa, it will have a timeout period. 'Permanent Residence' is more commonly referred to as a Green Card, which is not a visa. Even that needs renewing every 10 years. (Visa holders go through the 'visitor' immigration queue. GC holders go through the 'Citizens and LPRs' queue.)

Depending on the visa, Stevie may need to leave and reenter to renew the visa period. For instance, an L1 visa is initially valid for 5 years, but can be extended to 7. However, one may only remain in the USA for a contiguous period of 3 years. As I understand a short trip in and out of Canada suffices to break that contiguity.

What you said does not apply to Stevie P's situation.

His wife is a USC and he is entering on a CR/IR visa. He will be a permanent resident for immigration purposes upon entering the USA.

Please don't confuse things.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

Nope. If Stevie is on a visa, it will have a timeout period. 'Permanent Residence' is more commonly referred to as a Green Card, which is not a visa. Even that needs renewing every 10 years. (Visa holders go through the 'visitor' immigration queue. GC holders go through the 'Citizens and LPRs' queue.)

He is moving to the US on an immigrant visa, which is why the response that he becomes a permanent resident on entry was given.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by fbf2006
He is moving to the US on an immigrant visa, which is why the response that he becomes a permanent resident on entry was given.
That is not stated in the original post. You are answering a question that was not asked.

With the exception of some visas not having timeouts, what I said was correct.

Last edited by ubernathan; Aug 16th 2017 at 1:05 pm.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 1:04 pm
Forum Regular

fbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond reputefbf2006 has a reputation beyond repute

That is not stated in the original post. From my POV you are making stuff up.
lol okay then
Old Aug 16th 2017, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

That is not stated in the original post. From my POV you are making stuff up.
Good job your POV is irrelevant to OP's question then.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tom169
Good job your POV is irrelevant to OP's question then.
Any help is appreciated.
Really?
Old Aug 16th 2017, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

Some people are here everyday or just simply remember the OP's backstory or did a quick look at his first ever post and noticed he was getting a CR visa as he's been married to a United States citizen for a bit. Everyone is not expected to know this so when another poster simply mentions an additional detail, there's no need to get all combative when all that's needed is a 'my bad.' Sheesh.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 1:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Really?
Yes, because you confused the entire situation with irrelevant details.

Twinkle0927's response to the question was IMO fine.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 2:39 pm
Banned

az2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond reputeaz2014 has a reputation beyond repute

That is not stated in the original post. You are answering a question that was not asked.

With the exception of some visas not having timeouts, what I said was correct.
Totally agree with you. OP did not mention what visa they are using. Ignore the others that expect people to search peoples previous posts just to find impprtant info they did not bother to mention.
Old Aug 16th 2017, 2:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

MidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond reputeMidAtlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Time for the children to go back to their playpen. Stevie P got his answer in #2 &3.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.