British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Do I need to declare the lump sum from my British pension? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/do-i-need-declare-lump-sum-my-british-pension-527790/)

jo_march Apr 8th 2008 2:38 pm

Do I need to declare the lump sum from my British pension?

I reached retirement age in September 07 and started receiving my teacher's pension and my state pension. These would normally be taxed in the UK but I escape that since my monthly total is below the UK personal tax allowance, so I don't mind being taxed on them in the US. However I don't know where on the tax form to report this income.

A bigger question is what to do about my lump sum. It was tax free in the UK so I really don't think Uncle Sam should take a cut. Do I report it and where, and can I report it as non-taxable income (will the IRS agree with that?)

pwlacey Jul 22nd 2008 4:37 am

Re: Do I need to declare the lump sum from my British pension?

Originally Posted by jo_march (Post 6178152)
I reached retirement age in September 07 and started receiving my teacher's pension and my state pension. These would normally be taxed in the UK but I escape that since my monthly total is below the UK personal tax allowance, so I don't mind being taxed on them in the US. However I don't know where on the tax form to report this income.

A bigger question is what to do about my lump sum. It was tax free in the UK so I really don't think Uncle Sam should take a cut. Do I report it and where, and can I report it as non-taxable income (will the IRS agree with that?)

I have just registered and am unfamiliar with how these forums work.

Did anyone ever respond to the lump sum question?

I have the same situation and my feeling is that it is reportable in the US if you are filing as a citizen or permanent resident (ie filing a Form 1040). I am both a Chartered Accountant (UK) and a CPA, so therefore have a fair amount of experience in tax matters. However it is not 100% clear and I would love to hear from anyone who has filed a US return, disclosed that they have excluded the UK lump sum and not been challenged by the IRS; or alternatively has had advice from a Big 4 CPA firm that it is also tax free in the US.

jo_march Jul 22nd 2008 11:17 pm

I never did get a reply to my question. Since it was a "one off" payment and nothing would have been reported directly to the IRS we could really just not have reported it all. It wasn't a large amount as I didn't work there for long and it was 20 years ago. However my husband wasn't keen on that so we compromised - we entered the total (lump sum plus subsequent monthly payments) in our Turbo Tax software but put the lump sum as non-taxable. When the form printed, the total showed in 16a on the tax form but only the monthly payments showed in 16b.

After we submitted it, we received a letter from the IRS so we thought the worst, but it turned out there was a miscalculation concerning my husband's health savings account, so we owed a small amount on that, but there was no mention of the pension amount - phew! Maybe the HSA served as a red herring which distracted their attention. Anyway we have heard nothing more.

I found this site which seems to confirm that there should be no tax on it anyway - see the second para under Taxation of Pensions and Annuities on http://www.us.kpmg.com/microsite/tax...s/fa03-071.pdf
If this is true then anyone who has the option to take a larger amount of their pension in lump sum rather than monthly payments should probably do so as the tax saved would likely outweigh the loss of later index-linked payment increases. I was not able to take that option as my pension had been frozen for 20 years.

I don't mind paying tax on the monthly payments as they would have been taxable in the UK anyway.

Good luck!

im9907620 Aug 26th 2008 10:55 pm

Article 17 and 18 of the US/UK tax treaty covers this - effectively if the lump sum would not be taxable in one's home state, e.g. UK, then it is not taxable in one's country of residence. However, beware, if someone is a US citizen or a long term green card holder deemed domiciled in the US then the US 'savings clause' would tax the lump sum and override the treaty.

lansbury Aug 26th 2008 11:42 pm

I got a lump sum from my UK government pension.

We have a US CPA do our tax return. His view was it was part of my UK earnings which are taxed in the UK, the tax liability was discharged in the UK, albeit a nil liability and therefore it wasn't taxable in the US.

I had already taken up resdience in the US when my pension became payable, been resident for 6 weeks.

The CPA filled that years tax return in and US tax was not paid on the lump sum. The IRS accepted that return and so far have not raised a problem with it.

The monthly pension payment has tax paid on it in the UK and no tax in the US, under the double taxation part of the UK/US tax treaty.

im9907620 Aug 27th 2008 8:37 am

Good to hear that, though I'm not sure from the sound of it whether your CPA made that call by luck or judgement :unsure: But it highlights the point that most CPAs in my experience don't even refer to the double tax treaty with UK pensions to check....a bit like a Doctor taking your temperature and guessing what the reading was and then diagnosing you :D

lansbury Aug 27th 2008 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by im9907620 (Post 6719277)
Good to hear that, though I'm not sure from the sound of it whether your CPA made that call by luck or judgement :unsure: But it highlights the point that most CPAs in my experience don't even refer to the double tax treaty with UK pensions to check....a bit like a Doctor taking your temperature and guessing what the reading was and then diagnosing you :D

We are lucky one of the people employed at the office is a Brit GC holder so he was aware of the tax treaty.