Reload this Page >

do i need to complete tax form?

do i need to complete tax form?

Old Nov 18th 2009, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

newc28 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default do i need to complete tax form?

Hello,

I wondered if anyone can advise me as am abit confused. I am living in usa on a two year conditional permanent resident card. I obtained the card through marrying an american in jan 08. I have only worked about 20 hours this year. Do i still need to complete a tax form for the year?

Any help appreciated,

Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Moonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond reputeMoonshadow_Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: do i need to complete tax form?

Originally Posted by newc28
Hello,

I wondered if anyone can advise me as am abit confused. I am living in usa on a two year conditional permanent resident card. I obtained the card through marrying an american in jan 08. I have only worked about 20 hours this year. Do i still need to complete a tax form for the year?

Any help appreciated,

You need to declare any income now that you are a PR. It is to your benefit if you were to file joint married with your spouse. You both get an exemption, and it's a great bonifide when removing conditions from your GC.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:18 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moonshadow_Girl
You need to declare any income now that you are a PR. It is to your benefit if you were to file joint married with your spouse. You both get an exemption, and it's a great bonifide when removing conditions from your GC.
So i have to file taxes even though I have only earned about $200 in a year? It does not seem worth it!

How do I go about filing taxes? Sorry to ask such a basic question just never done it before.

(-:
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:23 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

So i have to file taxes even though I have only earned about $200 in a year? It does not seem worth it!

How do I go about filing taxes? Sorry to ask such a basic question just never done it before.

(-:
Didn't you file taxes after you married in January 2008? Didn't you file a 2008 tax return?

Does your USC wife work? Has she ever filed taxes? She probably knows how.

Or, you can go to a service like H&R Block (or one of the many out there) or a CPA, and have them do it for you.

If you were single, and you only earned $200, you probably wouldn't need to file. But doesn't your wife work and file taxes? Your income would be included on the joint return filed as a married couple.

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:40 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

So i have to file taxes even though I have only earned about $200 in a year?
Do you have to? No - there is a threshhold below which you aren't obligated to file a US tax return.

It does not seem worth it!
That depends on whether you're looking at things from an IRS point of view, or an immigration POV.

Ian
Old Nov 18th 2009, 2:56 pm
Just Joined

Didn't you file taxes after you married in January 2008? Didn't you file a 2008 tax return?[/quote]

Yes i did but my work did it so I had no direct experience in doing it.

Does your USC wife work? Has she ever filed taxes? She probably knows how.
I am a female. My husband does work but we are not planning on doing one together. Would you recommend doing one together? If so why? What are the benefits?

Or, you can go to a service like H&R Block (or one of the many out there) or a CPA, and have them do it for you.
OK great. Thanks.

If you were single, and you only earned $200, you probably wouldn't need to file. But doesn't your wife work and file taxes? Your income would be included on the joint return filed as a married couple.
Do we have to do joint one?

Thank you.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 18th 2009 at 3:11 pm. Reason: Obviously you don't know how to work with quotes so I fixed it for you.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:02 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I am a female. My husband does work but we are not planning on doing one together. Would you recommend doing one together? If so why? What are the benefits?
Oops, sorry for the gender confusion Usually there is a bigger tax credit when a married couple files a joint return, so check into it.

Do we have to do joint one?
No, you can do a "married filing separately" return, if you want to. But usually the tax credits are better for a "married filing jointly" return.

The one thing that should NOT be done, is checking the "single" box on the tax return. No matter who files which way, one of the "married" options must be checked. Either "married filing jointly", or "married filing separately".

You might want to have a consultation with a tax advisor to see which way works best for your own scenario (not just you, I mean you guys as a married couple).

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:09 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

(-:

You don't have to but for removal of conditions and future naturalization purposes you should give your spouse your W-2 when it comes and he and you can file one return, married filing joint. It is just that simple and easy. You get the additional deductions with you on the form and might get a bigger refund.

How in heaven's name would you allow your company to file your taxes for you? They completed the IRS 1040, you signed it, and mailed it in? How strange.

Did you by chance ask your USC wife these questions first?
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

[quote]You don't have to but for removal of conditions and future naturalization purposes you should give your spouse your W-2 when it comes and he and you can file one return, married filing joint. It is just that simple and easy. You get the additional deductions with you on the form and might get a bigger refund.[/quote[

ok great. does w2 just come in post? Do i have to do something so it is sent out? when will it come?

How in heaven's name would you allow your company to file your taxes for you? They completed the IRS 1040, you signed it, and mailed it in? How strange.
they found the right form and completed it. i looked over it then signed it.

Did you by chance ask your USC wife these questions first?
yes i did ask my husband but wanted to find out what should do from immigration point of view.

taxes are confusing to me.

Last edited by Rete; Nov 18th 2009 at 3:46 pm. Reason: fix quotes
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:34 pm

ok great. does w2 just come in post? Do i have to do something so it is sent out? when will it come?
The company you work or worked for should automatically prepare the W2 and it comes to you in the mail. They usually come early the following year...perhaps by late February. If you don't get one by March 1, follow up with your employer. Make sure the information you gave your employer shows you are married.

they found the right form and completed it. i looked over it then signed it.
I assume they filed "married filing separately" for you? Did your husband do a separate return on his own? The most important thing is to make sure BOTH of your 2008 tax returns were filed in the "married" category, that will be important for USCIS. Of course, make sure 2009 also says "married".

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Nov 18th 2009 at 3:37 pm.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:46 pm
Just Joined

The company you work or worked for should automatically prepare the W2 and it comes to you in the mail. They usually come early the following year...perhaps by late February. If you don't get one by March 1, follow up with your employer. Make sure the information you gave your employer shows you are married.

ok. Cool

I assume they filed "married filing separately" for you? Did your husband do a separate return on his own? The most important thing is to make sure BOTH of your 2008 tax returns were filed in the "married" category, that will be important for USCIS. Of course, make sure 2009 also says "married".

yeap we filed apart. Think i said married on the 08 one not sure what my husband put as he filed his in early jan just before we got married.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:47 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
By federal law they must be in hand by January 31.

Rene
Old Nov 18th 2009, 3:52 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Any help appreciated,

Hi:

It is not all that difficult for wage earners. In fact, there is a form 1040EZ for people who only have wage income. And then there is the form 1040A for people with non-complicated returns. As a self-employed person, I have to file the 1040 with a ton of "schedules." Also, California has an income tax. So you should check with your locality on tax returns. As a general rule, the state tax returns track Federal law.

The "W-2" form should come to you from the employer by the end of January 2010 for 2009 income.

For $200 income, you will NOT be required to file a return. However, to get a refund of the tax withheld, you will have to file a return. The IRS has a program with certain tax software companies allowing people of low income to use the software and file electronically for FREE.

That said, your HUSBAND's tax return will have to mention the marriage. He will have the option of filing either "married, filing separately" or file a JOINT return with you. For your benefit, make sure he does not file as "single" -- in fact, he may have to correct his 2008 if his tax preparer checked single just as a matter of habit or did know of the marriage.

As a general rule, a couple with one income is better off filing jointly -- the taxes are lower, and if there is a refund coming, that refund will be concomitantly bigger.

Although the usual tax filing deadline is April 15th, the earlier you file, the earlier that refund, if any, is paid. [I was about to say "in the mail" but they now allow for direct deposit].

Taxes can get very complicated. But for most people they are pretty simple. You do it once, and you will have a general idea on how to do it for the rest of your life.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:01 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for advice everyone.

I have just had a baby thats why not been able to work much in 09.
Old Nov 18th 2009, 4:17 pm
Concierge

I understand it to be that they married in 2008. Thus when taxes were filed by April 15, 2008 for the year 2007 he was correct if he put single instead of married because they did not marry until 2008.

When they filed the 2008 taxes by April 15, 2009, they would have had to file as married either joint or separate.

This April 15, 2010 they will file their 2009 taxes and will be married joint or separate with a dependent...the baby.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.