Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do I need the chickenpox vaccination for the London Embassy?

Do I need the chickenpox vaccination for the London Embassy?

Old May 11th 2002, 7:09 pm
abi
Forum Regular

abi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need the chickenpox vaccination for the London Embassy?

I am a K1 applicant and my son is a K2. I have never had chicken pox nor has my 8 year old son. I have heard conflicting stories about whether the chickenpox vaccination will be needed at the embassy when we go for our fiance visa interview. Has anyone else had to have this done? And if so, how much did it cost? Would it be cheaper to get it done at my doctors surgery, and is it infact required?
Old May 11th 2002, 9:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ameriscot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Do I need the chickenpox vaccination for the London Embassy?

Absolutely NOT.
Old May 11th 2002, 9:20 pm
Gavin.McCormack

If you are in the UK and going to interview and medical in London then you do not
need the varicella vaccination for entry to the US. I just had the medical and the
doctor there told me I do not need the vaccination, and I didnt even have a letter
stating I had had chicken pox. It doesnt seem to be a requirement for Uk citizens
entering the US via K1. What is required is MMR, Diptheria and Tetanus....diptheria
being a adult booster withing 10 years same as for Tetanus. For your son obviously
child vaccinations for same will be required but not obviously the "adult" diptheria.

I was told categorically by the Embassy doctor the chicken pox vaccination is NOT
required so I am progressing without it. Hope this helps G

abi <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I am a K1 applicant and my son is a K2. I have never had chicken pox nor has my 8
    > year old son. I have heard conflicting stories about whether the chickenpox
    > vaccination will be needed at the embassy when we go for our fiance visa interview.
    > Has anyone else had to have this done? And if so, how much did it cost? Would it be
    > cheaper to get it done at my doctors surgery, and is it infact required?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 12th 2002, 3:20 am
Shelley

I don't know about for the K-1/K-2, but if your son has not had the chicken pox, he
may need to have the vaccination prior to entry in school - many districts in the US
are requiring it. Take Care. Shelley

"abi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > I am a K1 applicant and my son is a K2. I have never had chicken pox nor has my 8
    > year old son. I have heard conflicting stories about whether the chickenpox
    > vaccination will be needed at the embassy when we go for our fiance visa interview.
    > Has anyone else had to have this done? And if so, how much did it cost? Would it be
    > cheaper to get it done at my doctors surgery, and is it infact required?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old May 12th 2002, 4:20 am
Xtrynytix

The MMR is not a necessity either. Well it wasn't it my case.

I had Rubella vaccination at 14 and measles vaccination as a baby. The mumps
injection isn't given over here in the UK as a single dose. It hasn't been
passed for use.

My GP got in touch with someone in the know and they said I couldn't have the MMR as
I would have too many antibodies against rubella and measles. They wouldn't give me
the MMR over here in the UK. So, I didn't have to have it. I told the doctor on the
day of my medical and he said it was fine.

)