Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do I need to change the name in my passport?

Do I need to change the name in my passport?

Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:34 am
Just Joined

ukinusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Do I need to change the name in my passport?

I've searched for hours (including on britainusa.com) but can't find the answer so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I'm British, married to an American, living in the US and am a permanent resident.

My British passport is still in my maiden name - all other documentation (green card, driving license etc. etc.) is in my married name.

Question: My passport is due for renewal in August 2010 but given it's in my maiden name, I'm wondering whether it's still valid both for international and US (Caribbean) travel. I didn't know whether an original of my marriage certificate would be adequate proof or whether I should renew my passport now (that's if I'm able to do it so far in advance). That aside - how the hay did it get to $265.00!

Thank you.
Old Mar 16th 2008, 2:38 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do I need to change the name in my passport?

Originally Posted by ukinusa
I've searched for hours (including on britainusa.com) but can't find the answer so I'm hoping someone here can help.

I'm British, married to an American, living in the US and am a permanent resident.

My British passport is still in my maiden name - all other documentation (green card, driving license etc. etc.) is in my married name.

Question: My passport is due for renewal in August 2010 but given it's in my maiden name, I'm wondering whether it's still valid both for international and US (Caribbean) travel. I didn't know whether an original of my marriage certificate would be adequate proof or whether I should renew my passport now (that's if I'm able to do it so far in advance). That aside - how the hay did it get to $265.00!

Thank you.
Yes its still valid I use mine and its Brit passport but take your marriage cert with you, I have had problems getting back in the US as my GC is in my married name (divorced)but I will be changing it when I get my GC back with the right name on, just don't want to be without passport and my GC at the same time....But if I were you I would change it to your married name to stop confussion either that or prepare yourself if you fly out of Holland LOL they are buggers.

http://www.britainusa.com/sections/a...=41001&a=25304 incase anyone else needs the link

Last edited by Poppy girl; Mar 16th 2008 at 2:41 am.