Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Do American Supermarkets have a reduced food section.

Do American Supermarkets have a reduced food section.

Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all
Default Do American Supermarkets have a reduced food section.

This is really sad, as I'm the American in the relationship and so you would think I would know the answer but after living in England for a few years, I can't remember if there is a reduced food section.

All the big supermarkets in England do it and my husband and I usually check out the different sections looking for a bargain and we were just wondering if the American supermarkets do them?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do American Supermarkets have a reduced food section.

Reduced food section? Not quite sure what you mean? Various products go on sale routinely at our store. If there are some things that are going to expire soon, they usually do a fairly large markdown to try and sell them before the expiration. They usually aren't all in one area, the items remain in their respective areas.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:27 pm
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of

Never seen them in any of my stores.
I had forgotten about the Reduced section, Always remember in Safeway the meat guy getting mobbed when he came out to reduce stuff, all the older women comming up with packets asking "is this going to be reduced" ?
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

I have seen a "reduced" section in the bakery at Super Target and often there are a few shelves at the end of an aisle with reduced tinned/jarred produce.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Reduced food section? Not quite sure what you mean? Various products go on sale routinely at our store. If there are some things that are going to expire soon, they usually do a fairly large markdown to try and sell them before the expiration. They usually aren't all in one area, the items remain in their respective areas.

In the supermarkets I visit in England, they usually have a shelf in the chilled section for the reduced chilled items, another shelf in the bread/bakery section, another section for the pantry type stuff.
It's different than th sale items as reduced things are usually on their sell by date or a day before, or maybe have a damaged package.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the stores here have a 'reduced' section, it is for items that are soon to expire or damaged can goods etc, they have valentines stuff in it right now.

It's usually at the back of the store nr the entrance to the store room.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:36 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Kroger chain-reduced meats and baked goods. Also, a couple of carts of canned goods, HABA stuff, holiday items.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:41 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Kroger chain-reduced meats and baked goods. Also, a couple of carts of canned goods, HABA stuff, holiday items.
Yes, we have the Kroger-purchased Fred Meyers stores with the same deal.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:42 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Yes, we have the Kroger-purchased Fred Meyers stores with the same deal.
not to mention that Wed is Senior Citizen day-extra 5 percent off!!!
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
not to mention that Wed is Senior Citizen day-extra 5 percent off!!!

We don't get that every week.. but funny story.. they ran an extra 10% off non-food for about 6 weeks over the holidays, on Tuesdays.
When DH found out he qualified for the 'OAP' special.. look out, Betty! He organized the shopping to take full advantage and had great fun explaining 'OAP' to the checkers.
Well, it was funny if you were there.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 8:59 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

We have a freezer full of reduced to clear meat from our local United. We built up a fair stock and now just buy whatever's on clearance when we go in, 'cos we have enough variety not to be bothered what meat or cut it is.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Ya know, we must have people in our area that must buy up all this stuff during the day cuz I never see that much reduced at my local Kroger! Those old bitty OAP's must be hogging it all.
Old Feb 24th 2010, 9:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Ya know, we must have people in our area that must buy up all this stuff during the day cuz I never see that much reduced at my local Kroger! Those old bitty OAP's must be hogging it all.
You have to get up early to beat those seniors!

I know in Oregon and Washington they have stores called Grocery Outlet that sell bargains like you'd find in the reduced section. Don't know where you're at, but here's the website:

http://www.groceryoutlet.com/
Old Feb 24th 2010, 10:27 pm
Sursum corda

well beware of the old unemployed biddy with the bum knee driving the electric cart........
Old Feb 25th 2010, 12:58 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

The safeway by us has a little meat section where they put all the reduced price meat. I've been looking at meat when he starts to mark it down and it can go pretty fast.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.