Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DMV said my social security card was unacceptable.

DMV said my social security card was unacceptable.

Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DMV said my social security card was unacceptable.

Originally Posted by fsm
I deal with the I-9's locally for my firm. (The British guy checking if they can legally work in the USA )

Your SSC is technically invalid as soon as you receive the green card, I cannot accept it for a I-9, if that was offered as part of the prove.
Never usually an issue as the green card is sufficient evidence.

DMV's are notorious for not accepting the documentation for the slightest reason, they are tougher than the INS.
I do not agree with your take on the ss card with a legend not being "technically valid" if you have a green card.

A green card confers the right to work and as such is part and parcel of work authorization by the USCIS. Therefore, the legend does not detract from the card's validity.

BTW the social security card was never a proof of one's ability to work but used for deduction of taxes for state, federal and city taxes and for medicaid contributions.

Although one can and should apply for the legend to be removed once they are a PR, it is not because it is technically invalid but rather that the green card is all encompassing and a separate work document, or advance parole is not required for the authorities.
Old Jun 27th 2012, 11:37 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
I do not agree with your take on the ss card with a legend not being "technically valid" if you have a green card.

A green card confers the right to work and as such is part and parcel of work authorization by the USCIS. Therefore, the legend does not detract from the card's validity.

BTW the social security card was never a proof of one's ability to work but used for deduction of taxes for state, federal and city taxes and for medicaid contributions.

Although one can and should apply for the legend to be removed once they are a PR, it is not because it is technically invalid but rather that the green card is all encompassing and a separate work document, or advance parole is not required for the authorities.
Rete,

On the I-9 Verification of Employment, if a SS card is being used as a hiring document (i.e., something from Column B plus something from Column C), it cannot be the one with the legend.

See here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf (last page)

If someone has a green card or EAD, they can show that as a hiring document (something from Column A).

Rene
Old Jun 28th 2012, 12:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills

I used mine when I arrived and was asked seriously if it was a real one when they carded me in a restaurant.
Around here, there's a lot of fake passports, mostly Brazilian ones that people use to try and open accounts, because of that, many boozers won't accept a passport at all because they don't want to discriminate against certain countries who's residents most likely have fake documentation.

Tad daft, but some of these fakes are half decent according to the missus.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 12:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Around here, there's a lot of fake passports, mostly Brazilian ones that people use to try and open accounts, because of that, many boozers won't accept a passport at all because they don't want to discriminate against certain countries who's residents most likely have fake documentation.

Tad daft, but some of these fakes are half decent according to the missus.

There are notices up at my local DMV about reporting fake ID's...passports, driving licences etc. I often wonder if we should report all the spammy fake ID posts we get.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 12:23 am
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Rete,

On the I-9 Verification of Employment, if a SS card is being used as a hiring document (i.e., something from Column B plus something from Column C), it cannot be the one with the legend.

See here: http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/i-9.pdf (last page)

If someone has a green card or EAD, they can show that as a hiring document (something from Column A).

Rene
Thank you for adding that clarification.

I had worded it as technically on purpose as any change of status invalidates previous status, as soon as the green card was issued my SSC was then required to be replaced. My attorney made me do it the same day.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 12:38 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
There are notices up at my local DMV about reporting fake ID's...passports, driving licences etc. I often wonder if we should report all the spammy fake ID posts we get.
Very little point, so easy for someone to google places to get official looking ID for cheap, depending on what people want them for, usually college ID to be used for booze, but also state driving licenses and some country passports, usually good enough for the boozer if there's a large student population, but not much else.

People who use really bad ones should be given a prize though for brass balls. The missus said she had someone use a photo copy of someones driving license with their photo stuck on it and laminated...that's just quality
Old Jun 28th 2012, 12:53 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Very little point, so easy for someone to google places to get official looking ID for cheap, depending on what people want them for, usually college ID to be used for booze, but also state driving licenses and some country passports, usually good enough for the boozer if there's a large student population, but not much else.

People who use really bad ones should be given a prize though for brass balls. The missus said she had someone use a photo copy of someones driving license with their photo stuck on it and laminated...that's just quality
Someone must have read my post...another bloody spammy fake ID thread deleted.

They probably track all those types of posts anyway.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Jun 28th 2012 at 1:05 am.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 2:52 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the OP - sounds like an idiot, ignorant person, or power trip at work.

Or all 3.

Used passport for DL which threw them briefly, it not being a US one etc. after that was fine...
Old Jun 28th 2012, 5:26 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah
I think it's probably backfired on me and I'm guessing the staff at the boonies DMV had no idea what to do with someone who wasn't a citizen so perhaps wanted to just get rid of me, idk.
I know I've spoken to at least one Canadian on TN-1 who has a NY licence, and the licence is co-terminous with their I-94 and has "TN-1" put in the licence notation. Undoubtedly they gave them a SSN card with "only valid for employment with DHS authorization" on it.

An LPR card on its own without an SSN card is sufficient to fill in an I-9 also.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 12:47 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fsm
I had worded it as technically on purpose as any change of status invalidates previous status, as soon as the green card was issued my SSC was then required to be replaced. My attorney made me do it the same day.
That might explain why, when I went in to get my status updated on their systems after becoming a citizen, they insisted I had to have a new SSC, despite my existing one being totally 'normal' i.e. no added text at all. I was told I had to have a new card.

I now have 2 cards which, apart from the odd crease, are identical. Their computer system is following some set of rules, whether right or wrong.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 3:32 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Like I said in the self verify thread, a lot of people are unaware of the changes back in 2003 in how the SSA works and how often you have to go now and fill in an SS-5 for whatever reason. Pretty much every time you fill one in they spit out a new card.

Now with E-verify being more widely used, people are realizing the SSA database contains a lot of bogus information.

There is a proposal by Sen. Schumer to replace all SSN cards with biometric cards and employers would have a card reader in their workplace hooked up to an E-verify type system. If you were a small employer supposedly you would have to go to the SSA office and use their system when you hired someone. Doesn't seem to be going anywhere in Congress, but then nothing is.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 6:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by celticgrid

I now have 2 cards which, apart from the odd crease, are identical. Their computer system is following some set of rules, whether right or wrong.
Now you've got a spare card to sell to some bloke called Pablo, down the pub...might want to keep an eye out on your credit score if you do though

Speaking of though, MIL worked with someone who is married to someone who is getting deported, he got found out when the SSN he was using, being used by 5 other people as it happens, anyway, the actual person it belonged to died and it all got found out when the missus started claiming some death benefits. The chap has been in the US at least 6 years and he's still paying off the bloke who smuggled him into the US
Old Jun 29th 2012, 3:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
That might explain why, when I went in to get my status updated on their systems after becoming a citizen, they insisted I had to have a new SSC, despite my existing one being totally 'normal' i.e. no added text at all. I was told I had to have a new card.

The cards shouldn't be identical. The last one you received should have the record change date printed on the front.

Whenever you become a US citizen, the SSA needs to be informed so they can update their records. This is because other US government agencies use SSA records to verify US citizenship. I found this out the hard way whenever my daughter applied for financial aid for college. She was contacted by the US Dept of Education who informed her that her US citizenship could not be confirmed. This is when we discovered they were using SSA records to verify citizenship. We went along to the local SSA office with our US passports and had them update their records to flag us as US citizens. The person who processed us informed me that the system would automatically spit out new SSN cards because that's the way the system has been programmed to work. The cards arrived a few days later and all of them had the date that our records were updated printed on the front.
Old Jun 29th 2012, 7:35 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
I found this out the hard way whenever my daughter applied for financial aid for college.
Why would she need to be a citizen to get financial aid? LPRs qualify. Or had she had the card since you were in a non-immigrant status?
Old Jun 29th 2012, 7:49 pm
fsm
So I am where?

fsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of lightfsm is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Steve_
Why would she need to be a citizen to get financial aid? LPRs qualify. Or had she had the card since you were in a non-immigrant status?

It is all sort of baloney, for instance I could not get financial aid I until i register for selective service or in my case prove why I did not register for selective service.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.