Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DMV records to be used to register voters

DMV records to be used to register voters

Old Mar 5th 2015, 11:07 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default DMV records to be used to register voters

Sweeping 'New Motor Voter' bill clears Oregon Legislature on partisan vote | OregonLive.com

About to become law in Oregon, a move to use DMV records to register people to vote. A postcard will be sent to give people the chance to opt out of registration.

But what happens if a non US citizen doesn't receive the postcard and gets registered to vote. Could that cause problems in the future with a possibility they might be accused of falsely claiming to be a US citizen. Will the explanation "I didn't receive the opt out postcard mate, sorry" hold water.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DMV records to be used to register voters

I think that the defense is even simpler than that, it is just "I did not claim to be a US citizen" - end of story.
Old Mar 6th 2015, 10:42 pm

thinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond reputethinbrit has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not sure about Oregon DMV, but here in Texas, the DMV knows whether you are a US Citizen or not. So, in theory, they simply would not send a postcard to anyone who wasn't a citizen.
Upon becoming naturalized, and taking my certificate to the DMV, I can now renew my drivers license online. This was not available to me as a PR.
Old Mar 7th 2015, 3:55 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

There is nothing on the Oregon DMV record to show if you are a citizen or not. It will rely on the postcard arriving and being returned for someone to opt out of voter registration. I'm sure it will be very few but someone who isn't a citizen is not going to get the postcard, and when their ballot arrives in the post think I must be allowed to vote now and fill it in and return it.