Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are DMV employees trained to be as unhelpful as possible?

Are DMV employees trained to be as unhelpful as possible?

Old Apr 26th 2006, 5:43 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Are DMV employees trained to be as unhelpful as possible?

As my daughter is 21 next month she received a letter stating that her drivers licence has to be renewed before the end of May. She is away at uni. but will be home for Memorial Day weekend. Yesterday I went into the local DMV office to enquire if they would be open on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. The only answer I could get was 'probably not', when I asked if there was anyone who could give me a definite answer I was given a leaflet.

When I got back to my car I looked at the leaflet and saw it was written in Spanish, not one word of English. Do I look freakin' Spanish? I am fair skinned, have blonde hair and blue eyes. I was furious but knew I wouldn't get anywhere if I went back into the office. When I got home I called the DMV helpline, when I enquired about Memorial Day weekend I was asked, 'when is that?'

Are these people thick or purposely unhelpful or both?
Old Apr 26th 2006, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are DMV employees trained to be as unhelpful as possible?

Do I look freakin' Spanish? I am fair skinned, have blonde hair and blue eyes.
Ah yes, but racial profiling is soooo un-PC
Old Apr 26th 2006, 5:53 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
As my daughter is 21 next month she received a letter stating that her drivers licence has to be renewed before the end of May. She is away at uni. but will be home for Memorial Day weekend. Yesterday I went into the local DMV office to enquire if they would be open on the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend. The only answer I could get was 'probably not', when I asked if there was anyone who could give me a definite answer I was given a leaflet.

When I got back to my car I looked at the leaflet and saw it was written in Spanish, not one word of English. Do I look freakin' Spanish? I am fair skinned, have blonde hair and blue eyes. I was furious but knew I wouldn't get anywhere if I went back into the office. When I got home I called the DMV helpline, when I enquired about Memorial Day weekend I was asked, 'when is that?'

Are these people thick or purposely unhelpful or both?
Just thank yourself lucky that your name isn't Mohammed
Old Apr 26th 2006, 5:54 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

Especially in NJ they are.

Just make sure you have enough ID with you to get in the building.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 5:58 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clydegirl
Especially in NJ they are.

Just make sure you have enough ID with you to get in the building.
Here you have to have about a zillion forms of ID. The one that seems to carry the most weight is a high school diploma.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 5:59 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Here you have to have about a zillion forms of ID. The one that seems to carry the most weight is a high school diploma.
I thought it was a Blockbuster video rental card?
Old Apr 26th 2006, 6:01 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

To be fair they aren't all muppets - try a different office.
Out of 3 offices I tried one was extremely helpful, one was pretty good and the third was full of some of the biggest numbnuts I have ever seen.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 6:01 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by snowbunny
I thought it was a Blockbuster video rental card?
No - you're confusing that with a gas bill
Old Apr 26th 2006, 6:03 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Do I look freakin' Spanish? I am fair skinned, have blonde hair and blue eyes.
You've never been to the Pyrenees then...........
Old Apr 26th 2006, 6:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
To be fair they aren't all muppets - try a different office.
Out of 3 offices I tried one was extremely helpful, one was pretty good and the third was full of some of the biggest numbnuts I have ever seen.
Hey this is New Jersey, not a chance of finding a helpful government employee without attitude.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 6:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond reputeRompers has a reputation beyond repute

They couldn't do that here in SC. Hardly anybody has one
Old Apr 26th 2006, 6:22 pm
2007 pred.league robbery

lee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond reputelee_in_nj has a reputation beyond repute

"You know what they should do? When you walk in the front door of the DMV, they should have somebody hiding, just PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE. Cause at least after that you're like "ahhhhh! Well waiting in line's not so bad after the punch in the face." -- Dane Cook
Old Apr 26th 2006, 6:23 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

haha...that's funny....anyway, chances are, they'll be closed

and why not get your daughter to go to dmv near college?
Old Apr 26th 2006, 6:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by lee_in_nj
"You know what they should do? When you walk in the front door of the DMV, they should have somebody hiding, just PUNCH YOU IN THE FACE. Cause at least after that you're like "ahhhhh! Well waiting in line's not so bad after the punch in the face." -- Dane Cook
Hey, showed my hubby your pic last night, straight away he said that's from the Mersey View. We have one of me somewhere standing in more or less the same spot. Small world.
Old Apr 26th 2006, 6:25 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Bob
haha...that's funny....anyway, chances are, they'll be closed

and why not get your daughter to go to dmv near college?

Gotta be in NJ.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.