Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DL in Texas.

DL in Texas.

Old Dec 15th 2001, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

brianr is an unknown quantity at this point

Just to wrap up the topic about driving licences and K-1 visas, I applied for mine and took the test here in Texas with no trouble at all. The plastic card itself arrived yesterday in the mail.

The test was actually not too hard, for those of you in the UK, I would recommend you get hold of the Texas state drivers handbook fom the DPS as soon as you get here (earlier if you can) and memorise as much of it as you can. You need to know about the fines and prison for DWI (and other offenses) too, as the theory test asks you about these too!

If anyone tries to tell you you don't need to drive here, just laugh at them. Even if you ARE living right next to the best public transport system ever (what was that? IS there public transport in Texas?), you need a state issued photo ID for lots of stuff anyway (even geting a library card needed my driving license) and if you ever move house, you will need to drive here then. So don't bother with the ID card (ok, so that will do as an ID card), but being able to drive makes it so much easier...

Brian.
Old Dec 16th 2001, 1:29 am
Florbrieze

Youuuuu said it! Being from the US I was shocked at the lack of public transp. in
Dallas. My wife, she was floored... coming from a place where she never needed to own
a car. Texas = Car = Texas.

Brian and Florencia (Argentina)

Old Dec 16th 2001, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Florbrieze
Youuuuu said it! Being from the US I was shocked at the lack of public transp. in Dallas. My wife, she was floored... coming from a place where she never needed to own
a car. Texas = Car = Texas.

Brian and Florencia (Argentina)
Are you still in the Dallas area (I am in Fort Worth)?

Brian.
Old Dec 17th 2001, 8:02 am
Simon Nash

>
    >
    >
    >
    >

I was about to call DPS over here in Mineral Wells tomorrow regarding this very
subject. Do they require a SSN to apply? I probably won't apply till after I get
my EAD anyway (probably filing for marriage-based AOS early next year). Does
having a valid British licence exempt you from the practical test? Last I heard
it didn't, but if you did it recently then you would know

Oh, is that handbook free for anyone who wants it or do they charge for it?
Cheers in advance.
--
Simon Nash PGP Key: http://website.lineone.net/~simon_nash/public_key.txt "I will not
be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my
own." - Number Six

Old Dec 17th 2001, 2:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

> Do they require a SSN to apply?

See this web page for what Texas requires:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/adminis...quirements.htm

I remember that I presented my passport with I-94 card still stapled in it and one other form of ID (may have been my SSN card) and that was all.

> Does having a valid British licence exempt you from the practical test?

No way - you will have to do the lot (read a line of letters form a chart, do the 30 question theory test and drive round for 10 minutes), but it's an easy set of tests to pass if you compare it to the UK driving test.

> Oh, is that handbook free for anyone who wants it

Yes. The front desk of our nearest DPS office (Altamesa Bvd in Fort Worth) has a stash that they just give if you ask. Oh, I said "nearest" DPS office, well, it's 17 miles away - who said anything is close here? hehehehe.

From the web site (www.txdps.state.tx.us), the Mineral Wells DPS office is at: 600 FM 1821 NORTH and the phone number is: 940-325-0227.

Good luck.

Brian.
Old Dec 17th 2001, 6:07 pm
Simon Nash

[usenetquote2]> > Do they require a SSN to apply?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Thanks for the info.

[usenetquote2]> > Does having a valid British licence exempt you from the practical test?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >

Ah well, was worth asking

>
    >

Thanks. Fortunately I've already been a couple of times, when my fiancee lost her
purse with her licence in it and we had to go to DPS to order a replacement.
--
Simon Nash PGP Key: http://website.lineone.net/~simon_nash/public_key.txt "I will not
be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my
own." - Number Six