Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Divorce on Permanent (10 Yr) GC: any actions needed?

Divorce on Permanent (10 Yr) GC: any actions needed?

Old Feb 7th 2006, 5:35 pm
mhaanraadts

Default Divorce on Permanent (10 Yr) GC: any actions needed?

Hi,

I'm living in the US with a non-conditional GC (valid for 10 years). My
wife decided to cheat on me, so for me it's clear: I'm filing for a
divorce.

Now, I'm pretty sure after talking to some people that I've nothing to
fear regarding my immigration status since I've an unconditional GC. My
question is: do I need to notify the INS and if so, how (which form)?
Oh, and do I need to notify the IRS?

Thanks so much!

Old Feb 14th 2006, 12:20 am
mhaanraadts

Default Re: Divorce on Permanent (10 Yr) GC: any actions needed?

Anyone?

[email protected] wrote:
    > Hi,
    > I'm living in the US with a non-conditional GC (valid for 10 years). My
    > wife decided to cheat on me, so for me it's clear: I'm filing for a
    > divorce.
    > Now, I'm pretty sure after talking to some people that I've nothing to
    > fear regarding my immigration status since I've an unconditional GC. My
    > question is: do I need to notify the INS and if so, how (which form)?
    > Oh, and do I need to notify the IRS?
    >
    > Thanks so much!

Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:06 am
Forum Regular

ramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant future

As I know from reading articles from the internet

1 - you do NOT need to inform USCIS about the divorce right now because you do not have any pending application but you should tell the interviewer on the naturalization interview about the divorce . I read before about an naturalization interview and they asked the husband about the marriage and he explained for the interviewer that he got divorce from his wife.

2 - I read before you should take some actions after the divorce like informing the post office and IRS about the divorce
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:31 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mhaanraadts
... do I need to notify the INS and if so, how (which form)?
I don't know about the IRS (although I'm guessing they have no interest in your divorce)... but you do not need to notify USCIS. If you decide to naturalize, you will need to wait 5 years from the date you became a PR... and even then they will not have an interest in your divorce since you are not qualifying for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a USC.

Ian
Old Feb 14th 2006, 1:35 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ramNagab
2 - I read before you should take some actions after the divorce like informing the post office...
Of all the silly things you've said... this is the silliest! The post office has absolutely no interest whatsoever in either his divorce or his immigration status. The post office barely has an interest in moving mail from point A to point B.

Ian
Old Feb 14th 2006, 2:31 am
Forum Regular

ramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant futureramNagab has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Of all the silly things you've said... this is the silliest! The post office has absolutely no interest whatsoever in either his divorce or his immigration status. The post office barely has an interest in moving mail from point A to point B.

Ian

of course the post office has nothing to do with divorce but one of the spouces should leave and changing address with the post office. As I know many post offices changes the address for all the members in the family when they have the last name but confirming with them that there a divorce will let them know changing address not for the entire family
Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:28 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ramNagab
of course the post office has nothing to do with divorce but one of the spouces should leave and changing address with the post office. As I know many post offices changes the address for all the members in the family when they have the last name but confirming with them that there a divorce will let them know changing address not for the entire family
I see where you're going with this, but the postal service doesn't give two craps about someone's marital status in regards to delivering or forwarding their mail. The postal service can be told one of the household members is deceased and still continue to deliver mail if it's addressed to that person.

~ Jenney
Old Feb 14th 2006, 5:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I see where you're going with this, but the postal service doesn't give two craps about someone's marital status in regards to delivering or forwarding their mail. The postal service can be told one of the household members is deceased and still continue to deliver mail if it's addressed to that person.

~ Jenney
Yep! I still get mail for my deceased father (passed away last month), my deceased mother (passed away in 2004), and even scarier, I still once in a while get mail for my late husband, who passed away in 1987!

Rene
Old Feb 14th 2006, 5:37 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mhaanraadts
Hi,
Now, I'm pretty sure after talking to some people that I've nothing to
fear regarding my immigration status since I've an unconditional GC. My
question is: do I need to notify the INS and if so, how (which form)?
Oh, and do I need to notify the IRS?

Thanks so much!
I don't think you need to notify USCIS until you apply for citizenship, as someone else mentioned.

You'll be notifying IRS the next time you file taxes, by filing Single instead of Married, after you're divorced.

Best Wishes,
Rene
Old Feb 14th 2006, 3:38 pm
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Yep! I still get mail for my deceased father (passed away last month), my deceased mother (passed away in 2004), and even scarier, I still once in a while get mail for my late husband, who passed away in 1987!

Rene
Every once in a while my parents receive junk mail in my maiden name, which I haven't had since I first married in 1996. What makes it so interesting is that they're receiving this mail in the home they retired to 1999, which is in a small town in North Carolina where I have NEVER lived! Yet somehow mail in my "old name" still manages to show up in their mailbox.

Go figure...

~ Jenney
Old Feb 15th 2006, 11:09 pm
mhaanraadts

Thanks everyone for the responses! :)