Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

divorce help

divorce help

Old Oct 31st 2013, 9:18 pm
Banned

Roys is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy divorce help

Ok I am sure I am missing the right post or thread I am a UK citizen living in the USA I have a 10 year green card and have been married to a USC for just 7 years she left (well kicked me out) just after our anniversary, I am not sure what to do or where to go I cant really afford to return to the UK even though I can get work over there. I don't want to stay in the area because if our marriage is over I don't want to be around her, even though I have a good job and people that want me to stay here. I have been offered work in a different state but I just don't know what happens with my visa status do I have to let homeland security know we divorced? can I stay in the US and take the other job? If I have to move home can I get help?
At this point we (well I am) fighting to save the marriage but she seems to want to put here self around to the whole state making me think no matter what counseling we go to its over. Which brings me to another point we married in the UK does this affect the divorce? to be honest I don't want anything just enough to help get me out.
thanks for any help.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 9:20 pm
Banned

Default Re: divorce help

one more thing any body know a cheap divorce lawyer in Pa?
just incase though I really don't want to have to use one I still love her but I don't want her coming after me in 10 years
Old Oct 31st 2013, 9:26 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

You need to update any change of address. Form AR 11?

Divorce is a State issue, hopefully a quick Google will find some resource.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 9:29 pm
Banned

thanks boiler have an issue with the change of address I am the mortgage primary and as were doing the whole counseling thing and I go to the house twice a week do I still need to do this yet?
Old Oct 31st 2013, 9:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would not sweat it, they have a habit of losing them anyway, bit like your DL update them when you are settled somewhere else.

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Roys
...but I just don't know what happens with my visa status...
You no longer have a "visa status". You are a US permanent resident with a 10-year green card. The divorce will not affect your status in the USA whatsoever.

do I have to let homeland security know we divorced?
No.

can I stay in the US and take the other job?
Yes.

If I have to move home can I get help?
You don't have to move home.

Which brings me to another point we married in the UK does this affect the divorce?
No.

to be honest I don't want anything just enough to help get me out.
You'll want to consult with a divorce attorney.

Rene

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

You have a green card, so you're a permanent resident, and can stay as long as you like, hëll, having held your green card for seven years you can file for citizenship (you could have done four years ago) if you want to!

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 31st 2013 at 9:39 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 9:32 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

thanks boiler have an issue with the change of address I am the mortgage primary and as were doing the whole counseling thing and I go to the house twice a week do I still need to do this yet?
You only need to notify USCIS when you have a different permanent address. That is done online by form AR-11.

Rene
Old Oct 31st 2013, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski
You have a green card, so you're a permanent resident, and can stay as long as you like, hëll, having held your green card for seven years (you could have done four years ago) you can file for citizenship if you want to!
He said he's been married for 7 years. He didn't say how long he's been a PR.

Edit to Add: He got an Immigrant Visa in February 2012, so he's only been a PR for a year and a half (most likely).

To the OP: You have a 10-year green card in hand. If you get divorced and want to apply for US citizenship in the future, you will need to wait until you've been a PR for 5 years (instead of 3 if you were still married to a USC).

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Oct 31st 2013 at 9:39 pm.
Old Oct 31st 2013, 9:55 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

You are a US Permanent Resident - you are home, by definition.

Regards, JEff
If I have to move home can I get help?
Old Oct 31st 2013, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

At this point we (well I am) fighting to save the marriage...
Complete waste of time from the sound of it. Let her go! You have no immigration issues whatsoever. You need a divorce lawyer... not immigration advice.

Perhaps a moderator will move this to the USA forum.

Ian
Old Oct 31st 2013, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Perhaps a moderator will move this to the USA forum.

Ian
Done!

Rene
Old Oct 31st 2013, 11:25 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
He said he's been married for 7 years. He didn't say how long he's been a PR.

Edit to Add: He got an Immigrant Visa in February 2012, so he's only been a PR for a year and a half (most likely).
Oooops!
Old Nov 1st 2013, 1:20 am
Banned

Noorah101 yes your correct I got my green card about 18mths ago how did you remember ??

As to Ian is nice to see he still has nothing good to say I wish he would leave the site he has upset myself and others in the past with his comments. unless he wants to come to Pa and say them to my face. Unlike him I happen to believe in the vows I said before GOD !!!!!!!! and feel that 7years is a lot to walk out on this has just happened I am alone, hurting, and was only after friendly help and advice. Not to have him tell me to forget it I would like to tell him somethings but I don't want to be banned from the site.
If you don't have anything good to say IAN shut the hell up!!!!
Old Nov 1st 2013, 1:27 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Noorah101 yes your correct I got my green card about 18mths ago how did you remember ??

As to Ian is nice to see he still has nothing good to say I wish he would leave the site he has upset myself and others in the past with his comments. unless he wants to come to Pa and say them to my face. Unlike him I happen to believe in the vows I said before GOD !!!!!!!! and feel that 7years is a lot to walk out on this has just happened I am alone, hurting, and was only after friendly help and advice. Not to have him tell me to forget it I would like to tell him somethings but I don't want to be banned from the site.
If you don't have anything good to say IAN shut the hell up!!!!
IMO Ian's post was not offensive...he was giving his opinion based on the information you posted. Ian tends to say it as it is...and yes it may upset a few people...but he has helped thousands of people who post in the Immigration Forums. Like the saying goes...“You can please some of the people some of the time, all of the people some of the time, some of the people all of the time, but you can never please all of the people all of the time.”

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.