Reload this Page >

Divorce Conditions

Divorce Conditions

Old May 1st 2013, 2:32 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Divorce Conditions

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Immigration is federal - the lawyer can be located anywhere!

To clarify, you have a 2-year conditional green card. You are a permanent resident (PR) of the US - and you continue to be a PR until an Immigration Judge (IJ) says you're not.

Divorce and immigration are two separate issues. You must file to remove conditions on your status within the 90-day window immediately prior to the expiry date on your green card. If you do not file, you stop being a US permanent resident the day after your GC expires... so, as long as you file, you're safe - and are allowed to remain in the US while the application to remove conditions is being processed.

As an aside, your wife - as your sponsor - will continue to have a financial obligation under the I-864... whether you're divorced or not!

Having a US citizen son doesn't confer any rights to stay in the US. However, as long as you file an I-751 within that 90-day window, you'll be reasonably safe for a while.

For what it's worth, most people who file the I-751 waiver (as opposed to a joint application) are successful and eventually get a 10-year (non-conditional) green card.

Remember - you are a PR, and you continue to be a PR until an IJ says you're not.

Ian
He can file for removal of conditions immediately after the divorce.
Old May 1st 2013, 6:46 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Divorce Conditions

Originally Posted by Boiler
He can file for removal of conditions immediately after the divorce.
He can, yes... but it's unclear when the divorce will be final and when the 90-day window opens for him.

Ian