Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

divorce and conditional green card

divorce and conditional green card

Old Jun 8th 2001, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Papeteebooh is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I have a conditional green card. Unfortunately my wife left me. I came here for my wife and do not especially mind leaving the US per se, however, I (rather foolishly) invested all my savings in starting a business here and having to leave too soon would be financially disastrous for me.

Clearly I will not be able to have a petition filed to remove the condition at the end of the two years but I need to know whether I will be able to stay until expiration of my conditional green card.

My question is: should we get a divorce, would this affect my conditional green card or would I be able to stay until its expiration?
Old Jun 9th 2001, 3:24 am
Shelley

As soon as your divorce is final you can and should file your I-751 to have the
conditional status removed. As long as you can prove you entered your marriage in
good faith, you should be granted a permanent green card.
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm accept the disclaimer page
and go to the section on the left "What if we get a divorce - it should be very
helpful to you. Good Luck to you. Shelley

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jun 9th 2001, 7:27 pm
Just Joined

Default Thanks

Thanks, that was helpul info.
That is actually good news. Does anybody have experience of doing this?

[Edited by Papeteebooh on Jun 9th 2001 at 6:18pm]
Old Jun 9th 2001, 9:06 pm
Grinch

>
    >

NO.

The exact page is .....

http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm

Grinch

Old Jun 9th 2001, 9:25 pm
F

>
    >
    >
    >

Please, may I remind you that the owner of this site offers it on the condition that
internal links are not posted. The correct URL is
http://www.mindspring.com/~docsteen/...o/visainfo.htm, followed by a reference
which button to click.

Thank you.

F. - who would hate to see this site disappear again.

Old Jun 10th 2001, 8:30 pm
Just Joined

Default Re: divorce and conditional green card

For the record I failed to read the disclaimer (which is completely my fault) and I apoligize for the site owner about that.

Regarding the abundant junk replies to my initial post (most of which bears no relevance to the topic), being a geek myself, I would favour one of several solutions for the disclaimer problem:

- write the disclaimer into a separate file and include the file with a server-side programming environment. Advantages: works universaly. Disadvantages: requires server-side coding and a server supporting it.
- write a Javascript file (saved as a separate physical file) that write the disclaimer to the page. Integrate the Javascript code to every page. Downside: requires javascript being enabled.
- Use a frameset (I think the site was in a frameset anyway). In one frame have the disclaimer visible at all time. In inidiviual pages, have a javaScript function check if the page is loaded within a frameset and otherwise redirect to a frameset page. Disadvantage: linking can be trickky due to the frameset.
- Use a style sheet for the whole site. In the stylesheet absolute positioning and margins to write the disclaimer to every page. Disadvantage: requires a somewhat recent browser with style sheet enabled.
- Use a JavaSCript onLoad or OnUnload event and/or cookies to display once (and once only) the warning as a JavaSCript popup. Disadvantage: requires JavaScript and possibly cookies.

If the site owner wants to contact me, I'ld be glad to help