Divorce

Old Jun 27th 2021, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

stevie223 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Divorce

I will soon be starting the divorce process. Just wandering if any other people went through this with very little support. I live in the middle of nowhere in West Virginia been here since I moved over here in 2013 with the k1 visa. After the divorce there's nothing really keeping me here so debating on whether to move to a different state or move back to the UK. Has anyone else been in this situation?
Old Jun 28th 2021, 12:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Divorce

Presumably you have a GC or have naturalised.

Very much a personal situation, what have you to move back to?
Old Jun 28th 2021, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Presumably you have a GC or have naturalised.

Very much a personal situation, what have you to move back to?
Yeah I have my green card. I dont have many people around me to fall back on. I'm very much on my own here in the states. I'd say the main reason for possibly moving back to the UK would be back closer to family
Old Jun 28th 2021, 12:26 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

That seems a strong reason to move.
Old Jun 28th 2021, 12:39 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

M y K1 divorce scenario involved hanging in there to get US citizenship. It is not a thing I cared about initially, but as things panned out it was an opportunity that is not easy to come by and now i am dual citizen it is a good thing that came from a failed relationship.
Old Jun 28th 2021, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RICH
M y K1 divorce scenario involved hanging in there to get US citizenship. It is not a thing I cared about initially, but as things panned out it was an opportunity that is not easy to come by and now i am dual citizen it is a good thing that came from a failed relationship.

I never thought about that either, maybe that's something I should consider aswell. It could be a backup plan to a backup plan
Old Jun 28th 2021, 1:50 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by stevie223
I never thought about that either, maybe that's something I should consider aswell. It could be a backup plan to a backup plan
Looks as if you have had your green card long enough to go ahead and file for citizenship right away. Then you have the option to move back and forth between the UK and US should you wish to.
Old Jun 28th 2021, 1:54 am
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

No, Not really a back up plan,. You either take the opportunity or you don't,
Old Jun 28th 2021, 3:58 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Do be aware of your eternal tax reporting obligations to the US should you move back to the UK as a US citizen. It may not bother you, but if you have no real reason or intention to live in the US it may not be worth it.
Old Jun 28th 2021, 4:25 am
BE Irregular

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
Do be aware of your eternal tax reporting obligations to the US should you move back to the UK as a US citizen. It may not bother you, but if you have no real reason or intention to live in the US it may not be worth it.
Total bollocks. I know you know that an annuaul tax return can be done in one hour.
Old Jun 28th 2021, 10:39 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RICH
Total bollocks. I know you know that an annuaul tax return can be done in one hour.

Easy there.

I was just mentioning that it would have to be done, not that it was necessarily difficult, in case the OP wasn't aware.
Old Jun 28th 2021, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Yeah I seen that before that I would have to file a US tax forms if I went back to the UK. I'm just trying to figure out what to do since I only moved over here for my ex wife. Maybe it's too soon to be thinking about all this
Old Jun 28th 2021, 10:56 am

Yeah I seen that before that I would have to file a US tax forms if I went back to the UK. I'm just trying to figure out what to do since I only moved over here for my ex wife. Maybe it's too soon to be thinking about all this
If it's an uncontested divorce with no children involved or struggles over money, etc., then it should be very quick and easy. Perhaps just let the dust settle then and see how you feel then.
Old Jun 28th 2021, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
If it's an uncontested divorce with no children involved or struggles over money, etc., then it should be very quick and easy. Perhaps just let the dust settle then and see how you feel then.
Yeah its going to be an uncontested divorce we've been pretty amiable about it. Think maybe I've been pushing myself too hard to try and work out where/what the future is going to be. It's a life changing ordeal that I never thought would happen
Old Jun 28th 2021, 11:32 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Really this comes down to what you want to do. Not having a support system can be tough, it can also be pretty liberating. I was in the same position as you after just a year living in the US. Getting divorced, and having no one else in the country to turn too.

The thing is, in many ways it was a great place to be in.

I was forced to get out there and meet people, getting involved in things that I would never have done before had I stayed married. You would be surprised how the people around you like work colleagues may rally around too. Deciding to stay was the best decision I ever made. It lead to me meeting my now wife, and I'm happier than I have ever been.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.