British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Division over Bush migrant plan (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/division-over-bush-migrant-plan-373881/)

Bob May 16th 2006 4:25 pm

Division over Bush migrant plan

"President Bush's latest plan to counter the flow of illegal migrants entering the United States has drawn varied reactions from the US and Mexico.

In a prime-time TV address Mr Bush said he would send up to 6,000 National Guard soldiers to the US-Mexico border. ..."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4986316.stm

Well I know there's been a lot of this in the news...but how do a lot of you guys that live on the southern border feel about it? How's the atmosphere doing now after all the fluff over the last few weeks?

What do you think about this national guard thing, and the wall?

BigDavyG May 16th 2006 4:31 pm

Re: Division over Bush migrant plan

Originally Posted by Bob
"President Bush's latest plan to counter the flow of illegal migrants entering the United States has drawn varied reactions from the US and Mexico.

In a prime-time TV address Mr Bush said he would send up to 6,000 National Guard soldiers to the US-Mexico border. ..."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/4986316.stm

Well I know there's been a lot of this in the news...but how do a lot of you guys that live on the southern border feel about it? How's the atmosphere doing now after all the fluff over the last few weeks?

What do you think about this national guard thing, and the wall?

I don't see how anyone can conceiveably complain about the US wanting to adequately protect its borders and ensure that the only immigrants in the US are here legally - seems fair to me.

ladygwennie May 16th 2006 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
I don't see how anyone can conceiveably complain about the US wanting to adequately protect its borders and ensure that the only immigrants in the US are here illegally - seems fair to me.

I gotta agree with this, no kind of plan to make anyone citizens or any kind of immigration reform is really going to be worthwhile if the borders are not secure. Personally i dont know if its going to be enough, but i guess its a start some where.

Bob May 16th 2006 4:47 pm

I don't see how anyone can conceiveably complain about the US wanting to adequately protect its borders and ensure that the only immigrants in the US are here legally - seems fair to me.

Aye, but it's that double edged sword, the US doesn't want it, but the economy kind of does, and as long as companies are paying illegals, it'll continue, so this seems more like a bandage to the problem...bit like in the UK really with those centres...

BigDavyG May 16th 2006 4:50 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, but it's that double edged sword, the US doesn't want it, but the economy kind of does, and as long as companies are paying illegals, it'll continue, so this seems more like a bandage to the problem...bit like in the UK really with those centres...

He did mention tackling employers too, to be fair.
I agree that they are a big part of the problem and it is extremely hypocritical for many yanks to be complaining so much about the issue.

Sally May 16th 2006 4:56 pm

People around here want cheap labour. But there's no such thing as a free lunch, as they say.

Manc May 16th 2006 4:58 pm

Originally Posted by Bob

If I was sent there I'd be ecstatic, better than Falluja.......

Bob May 16th 2006 5:00 pm

He did mention tackling employers too, to be fair.
I agree that they are a big part of the problem and it is extremely hypocritical for many yanks to be complaining so much about the issue.

what'll sort the problem, make every company caught, to pay medical cost for someone in their community randomly for each illegal worker...that'll soon put them off, but then again, cost of fruit and veg will go up a fair bit...oh well :D

BigDavyG May 16th 2006 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
what'll sort the problem, make every company caught, to pay medical cost for someone in their community randomly for each illegal worker...that'll soon put them off, but then again, cost of fruit and veg will go up a fair bit...oh well :D

Unfortunately big corporations will never, ever be made to carry the can - ain't America just swell :rolleyes:

Bob May 16th 2006 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Manc

that's true...even germany or alaska must be looking pretty good compared to faaluja right now...

ladygwennie May 16th 2006 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by Sallyanne
People around here want cheap labour. But there's no such thing as a free lunch, as they say.

Very very true.

BigDavyG May 16th 2006 5:04 pm

Originally Posted by Manc

Personally i wouldn't like to be sent anywhere with a bunch of under-trained, under-educated, trigger-happy yanks :eek:

scrubbedexpat099 May 16th 2006 5:07 pm

Personally i wouldn't like to be sent anywhere with a bunch of under-trained, under-educated, trigger-happy yanks :eek:

No problem.

They will not be taking their guns.

BritGuyTN May 16th 2006 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler
No problem.

They will not be taking their guns.

Maybe not their M4/M16's but I'm sure there will be some personal berettas/glcoks floating about! ;)

BigDavyG May 16th 2006 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
Maybe not their M4/M16's but I'm sure there will be some personal berettas/glcoks floating about! ;)

So Metal Storm will not be in attendance then ???