Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Disillusioned

Disillusioned

Old Jul 15th 2010, 1:01 am
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disillusioned

Originally Posted by SDDep
Is that where Oregon is?

I just always referred to it as that weird state north of even weirder Northern CA...
what's WA then - extreme weird!!!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 1:51 am
Nuts with a side of nuts.

JayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really nice

Originally Posted by meauxna
Far be it from me to call de Briddish rude, but I'm American and I got the same thing from your countrymen when I was living overseas. My Brit DH would get a version of it too.. you just have your party piece answer and cut it short if you want to keep your sanity.

Hi, I'm meauxna, I'm from Oregon. It's the one above California.

It's a way people have of expressing their interest in you. Doesn't make it any more/less annoying to know that, but there you go.
Yeah - hi Meaxuna - I'm another version of JayJay from the VisaJourney forum, so you know me already I reckon And hopefully can attest to the fact that I am not evil or rude or mean!!!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rockgurl
Oh wow, that's great! That's exactly the path I want to take. Did you already have a BSN or are you doing the RN/BSN to MSN?
I had a 3yr bachelor degree in nursing from Australia, and had also done 2 yrs postgrad.

How long do you think it will take you and how often do you go to school (or are you doing it online). Are you able to work full time during clinicals?
It's going to take me 3-4 years, but I had 3 semesters off recently due to personal circumstances, and I am doing very part time as I work full-time on a working visa (so have to maintain my job). Usually takes 2-4 yrs depending on how many classes you take at one time.

I am very lucky that my boss is awesome, and totally works around my needs. Up until now, I've just had theory/lab classes (patho, stats, ethics, EBP etc) so classes have been 4-8 one night a week, for example. The school is over the road so I used to run across after work.

As of next semester, I have clinical 1 day a week from 8-4 then class 4-6, so I will be working 4 x 10hrs instead of 5 x 8's. I'll worry about the next clinical block when it happens!

What kind of things are you doing in your MSN? Are you able to choose a particular field? I want to either do Critical Care or specifically Gynae, but I want to specialize in Endometriosis without doing the Obstetrics part and I don't know if I'll be able to do that.
Specialty depends totally on the school. My school has FNP, PNP, ACNP etc. I am not interested in primary/office care, so I am doing ACNP. That qualifies you to care for "acutely ill" people ie. hospitalized.

We do then have the option of one of their subspecialties or you can make your own. I am doing cardiac; you can do critical care, trauma, oncology etc at my uni.

You might want to look at the womens health ones and do ACNP certificate post-masters if you can't find one that meets your needs. The other thing is to do your clinicals in the areas you want to work - if you do ACNP, and can find a floor that looks after gyne patients for one of your chosen clinicals, then you can work in that area.

How long did you study for your CCRN? It took me 3 months to do my CDN and I'm just getting all my study material together for the CCRN. I am thinking about 6 months. Is that realistic?
Heaps. I took it pretty soon after I got there, maybe a month after. If you've worked critical care for any length of time, it's not really hard. I do understand they've changed it recently though. I used (and HIGHLY recommend) the Laura Gasparis-Vonfrolio review tapes - I put it in my car and her tips were very close to the exam.

Sorry for the essay!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:47 am
Just Joined

annmarie19 is an unknown quantity at this point

I could have written that post myself, lol. Also a nurse, sick of the heat at this time of year in Florida. I have been here 16 years, alone for the last 6, have some friends, but the ones I made at work I have learned the hard way to be cautious with, I swear politics and back stabbing seems to be a career strategy in my current job. Also had some health probs lately, made me realize how important it is to have decent mates. The accent thing, well, most of the time I take it well, even if having the same conversation 6 times a day does get a bit tedious. I think as you get older friendships in general just are harder to come by. Have no illusions that it would be much different at home, old friends have married, had kids, work long hours. Ah well. Nice to know you have company in your homesickness!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:01 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=JayBowyer;8702208]It's not EVERYONE I get annoyed with though, you see - I don't for example get annoyed if it's asked in the natural course of a conversation, or if I've known the person for a while. I've had a few happy convos with people as a result of "the" question too.
/QUOTE]

This bit made me smile -- you can know someone for a while before they broach the ugly question of where you come from? They must be bursting with curiosity by then!

Originally Posted by JayBowyer
And hopefully can attest to the fact that I am not evil or rude or mean!!!
Unfortunately, what you said about "Some days I can't even bring myself to respond" in your earlier post did come across as rather churlish!

Originally Posted by meauxna
you just have your party piece answer and cut it short if you want to keep your sanity.

Hi, I'm meauxna, I'm from Oregon. It's the one above California.

It's a way people have of expressing their interest in you. Doesn't make it any more/less annoying to know that, but there you go.
That is just what I feel -- have your little sentence that sums everything up and cuts off follow-ups at the pass, offer it graciously, and move on!
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Chatsworth is a name known to allChatsworth is a name known to allChatsworth is a name known to allChatsworth is a name known to allChatsworth is a name known to allChatsworth is a name known to allChatsworth is a name known to allChatsworth is a name known to allChatsworth is a name known to allChatsworth is a name known to allChatsworth is a name known to all

That is just what I feel -- have your little sentence that sums everything up and cuts off follow-ups at the pass, offer it graciously, and move on![/QUOTE]

I find too that moving on can be greatly helped by asking questions in return, instead of just fielding them. Ask your questioner where they are from, if they've ever been to the UK, whether they are locals, whatever. You might be surprised then by the things you have in common, rather than irritated by the questions they ask.

Despite what I said in an earlier post about not necessarily wanting to live in the States, I do try to make the most of it, and being interested and responsive helps a lot.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:46 pm
Nuts with a side of nuts.

JayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really niceJayBowyer is just really nice

[QUOTE=Nutmegger;8703493]
It's not EVERYONE I get annoyed with though, you see - I don't for example get annoyed if it's asked in the natural course of a conversation, or if I've known the person for a while. I've had a few happy convos with people as a result of "the" question too.
/QUOTE]

This bit made me smile -- you can know someone for a while before they broach the ugly question of where you come from? They must be bursting with curiosity by then!

Unfortunately, what you said about "Some days I can't even bring myself to respond" in your earlier post did come across as rather churlish!

That is just what I feel -- have your little sentence that sums everything up and cuts off follow-ups at the pass, offer it graciously, and move on!
Well, thankfully I wasn't actually 100% serious here... It's not like I'm going to actually walk off and leave someone hanging. Maybe I should have rephrased that as "some days I don't feel like responding."

Unfortunately at this stage I now feel more unwelcome in this forum than "out there" so I think I'll just stop talking now. Sadly I'm not an "old timer" - I have very few posts to my name and it seems one can't write in an animated manner here and be a newbie without being...well, quite frankly attacked, really. So I'm off. Best stick to people who actually ARE interested in getting to know me.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 2:50 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=JayBowyer;8703587]
Originally Posted by Nutmegger

Well, thankfully I wasn't actually 100% serious here... It's not like I'm going to actually walk off and leave someone hanging. Maybe I should have rephrased that as "some days I don't feel like responding."

Unfortunately at this stage I now feel more unwelcome in this forum than "out there" so I think I'll just stop talking now. Sadly I'm not an "old timer" - I have very few posts to my name and it seems one can't write in an animated manner here and be a newbie without being...well, quite frankly attacked, really. So I'm off. Best stick to people who actually ARE interested in getting to know me.
Now come on....dont paint everyone with the same brush...

Some people just roll out of bed on the wrong side...give it a bit longer...
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Er, are the quotes getting mixed up? SDDep's quote above makes it look as if I said something that JayBower said!

To Jay, glad to hear you weren't serious -- but read what you wrote again, it certainly didn't sound too tongue in cheek! It's one of the joys of the Internet, trying to get across the feel of what is in your head on paper, and getting it to come out right. And I did stress that any comments about accentphobia weren't aimed at you, but at the general trend of being unhappy about origin questions. So hang around and find something to give someone a hard time about.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:19 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burn1911
what's WA then - extreme weird!!!
No, they seemed to know that one.. "Microsoft" or "Nirvana". aka 'Below Canada"
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:21 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Er, are the quotes getting mixed up? SDDep's quote above makes it look as if I said something that JayBower said!

To Jay, glad to hear you weren't serious -- but read what you wrote again, it certainly didn't sound too tongue in cheek! It's one of the joys of the Internet, trying to get across the feel of what is in your head on paper, and getting it to come out right. And I did stress that any comments about accentphobia weren't aimed at you, but at the general trend of being unhappy about origin questions. So hang around and find something to give someone a hard time about.

Whoopsie...my bad...not quoting you...dont know how that happened..
Old Jul 15th 2010, 3:31 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah - hi Meaxuna - I'm another version of JayJay from the VisaJourney forum, so you know me already I reckon And hopefully can attest to the fact that I am not evil or rude or mean!!!
Well hellllo!
I can definitely attest to the fact that you are not evil, rude, mean and that you ARE worth getting to know! It's really nice to 'see' you again Jay, and I hope all is going well.

I dunno, I guess it was just the topic that pushed *my* buttons when I read it. And, this hardly seems the topic for your sharp fingers and excellent sense of humor; I hope you will stick around for more than just a moan.
Old Jul 15th 2010, 4:08 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

You quoted a previously-****ed-up quote
Old Jul 15th 2010, 4:42 pm
Not around much..

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You quoted a previously-****ed-up quote
I havent quite figured out the multi-quoting thingymajiggy..whatchamaccalit...
Old Jul 15th 2010, 4:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like a clear case of Willmore's Malady...

don't go walking on foggy beaches or it will become permanent.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.