Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Disgusted with US health care system.

Disgusted with US health care system.

Old Sep 12th 2013, 8:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disgusted with US health care system.

Originally Posted by robin1234
There are hospice organizations throughout the US. No doubt stronger in some regions than others. Old people, within six months, or so, of death, choose to sign up for their services. This avoids unnecessary aggressive and expensive care in the end stages, and also gives the possibility of "NHS like" home based, low tech care for Americans. My mother in law opted for home based hospice care in her last few weeks of life and it worked out very well for her and us.
My neighbor's mother chose hospice care and she lived with him for the last 5 months of her life as medical personal visited daily.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 9:33 pm
Banned

maggot50 is on a distinguished road

Sally the way you talk its harder to enter a US hospital than the nation of North Korea. No US hospital can turn you away unlike public hospitals in Spain which are now regularly asking for cash up front for emergency care for Brits. You should be reassured that your chances of neglect and poor care are much lower than in an NHS hospital rather than being critical.

Jersey you mention one positive picture. Maybe speak to the children who are now fighting for justice for their in-laws who are no longer due to neglect in Mid-Staffs and other NHS institutions. They would probably say you were lucky sadly.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 9:47 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maggot50
Sally the way you talk its harder to enter a US hospital than the nation of North Korea. No US hospital can turn you away unlike public hospitals in Spain which are now regularly asking for cash up front for emergency care for Brits. You should be reassured that your chances of neglect and poor care are much lower than in an NHS hospital rather than being critical.

Jersey you mention one positive picture. Maybe speak to the children who are now fighting for justice for their in-laws who are no longer due to neglect in Mid-Staffs and other NHS institutions. They would probably say you were lucky sadly.
I know many more stories about excellent NHS care my relatives have received...but I don't know of any bad ones.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 9:58 pm

jeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond reputejeffreyhy has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she meant that it's hard to get admitted to a hospital in the US. (Are there any parallels with CBP, I wonder?)

Or, maybe she meant that most people in the US are dead before they make it to the hospital to request admittance?

Regards, JEff
Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You have to get into the hospital in the first place before you can die in it.
Sally the way you talk its harder to enter a US hospital than the nation of North Korea. No US hospital can turn you away ...
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:08 pm
Banned

maggot50 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
I know many more stories about excellent NHS care my relatives have received...but I don't know of any bad ones.
You kidding me? Maybe check out the Francis report which was a public enquiry looking at tens of thousands of bad ones that too in only 1 hospital! My friends mother died in that place due to malnutrition/dehydration. Yes she died due to lack of water. He is struggling for justice due to the wall of spin that accompanies the NHS at every turn.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:14 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

You kidding me? Maybe check out the Francis report which was a public enquiry looking at tens of thousands of bad ones that too in only 1 hospital! My friends mother died in that place due to malnutrition/dehydration. Yes she died due to lack of water. He is struggling for justice due to the wall of spin that accompanies the NHS at every turn.
I do not personally know of bad experiences...only those I read about in the British press etc.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jeffreyhy
Maybe she meant that it's hard to get admitted to a hospital in the US. (Are there any parallels with CBP, I wonder?)

Or, maybe she meant that most people in the US are dead before they make it to the hospital to request admittance?

Regards, JEff
I was reading about the item in the Guardian.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...land-higher-us

Some points to note:

The work was not peer reviewed. "In an interview Jarman conceded this point but said it was because "three nations had not allowed him to publish the data". The data sets, he said, were also large. For the UK he had all the hospital episode data. For the US he had a 20% random sample from the hospitals."

"The US has lower life expectancy – two years less than that in the UK – and millions of uninsured people who struggle to find healthcare, so the finding was combustible."

Jarman accepts that the US does badly on life expectancy and concedes:
"There's no GP system in America, so life expectancy, infant mortality, is terrible in places like Harlem."

"There is an additional issue that could affect the UK-US comparisons. In America people with insurance are often discharged to die at home or in a hospice as it is less expensive for the insurer. US hospital mortality data would not capture these cases. Jarman accepted this but said it "would make only a small difference to the numbers".

I would say it is difficult to compare rates in a universal healthcare system with the US. A US hospital only has to stabilize you in an emergency, they do not have to provide treatment for a terminal illness for uninsured people.

People like maggot50 just don't get it.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:20 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a few....
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I do not personally know of bad experiences...only those I read about in the British press etc.
Same here.

Coincidentally, I have heard of quite a few hospital deaths here, including a very gruesome one where my husband works when a patient was set on fire on the operating table due to careless handling of fluids.

Last edited by Sally Redux; Sep 12th 2013 at 10:40 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

The UK has gone to the dogs I tell ya!

I'm sure my 87 year old MIL must be lying when she fell a couple of weeks ago and claims she was taken swifty to the ER by ambulance. She even claims an ambulance took her home and she didn't have to wait very long for the ride. She also claims that the ER doctor noticed something suspicious on her face. He arranged for her to have a MRI, CT scan and consult for the following week. All 3 appointments were scheduled for the same day so she wouldn't have to make 3 separate visits...that was last week. Next Tuesday she has a consult with a facial reconstruction surgeon. Surely this cannot be correct...after all she is 87...not worth bothering about really and you hear such dreadful stories about the NHS.
She went to the ER? In the UK?
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:38 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by kins
She went to the ER? In the UK?
Yes...A & E as it's know there.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:38 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Drop in hospital death rates may mean more Americans dying at home

Most Americans would rather die at home than in a hospital, according to patient surveys.

Now, a new government study suggests more and more people getting their wish.

Researchers at the National Center for Health Statistics studied the deaths of patients admitted to a sampling of U.S. hospitals. They determined that hospital deaths accounted for 29 percent of U.S. deaths in 2010, down from more than 32 percent in 2000.

The number of inpatient hospital deaths dropped 8 percent over the decade study period from 776,000 deaths in 2000 to 715,000 in 2010, according to the report. During that time, the number of total hospitalizations increased 11 percent. Patients who died in the hospital had longer average hospital stays than all patients

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-204_162-...dying-at-home/

Statistics such as "survival rates" have to be understood and placed into their proper context. What you don't want are providers who play to the numbers just for the sake of hitting a statistical benchmark.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:40 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Much more common now for people top pass the GP. At my local Hospital they had issues with lack of beds meaning that Ambulances could not discharge and then there were no Ambulances for new calls.

I remember the interminable waits in A&Every well.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I agree with your sentiment, and I guess I was assuming that the law is unlikely to change that much, and/or soon enough to be of any use or assistance to me.
Really? I'm in my early 40s, and confidently think the boomers would've fixed this for me by the time I get there. The current olds might be all 'mustn't grumble' and 'doctor knows best', but there's no chance of the self-aware rights and expectations generation following suit. They're not going to stand for dying a pointlessly painful and degrading death when there's a much more palatable alternative.
Old Sep 12th 2013, 10:44 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

No US hospital can turn you away...
False.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.