Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Disenfranchised????

Disenfranchised????

Old May 14th 2004, 5:29 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point

how bizarre...how can a state legitimately draft persons who have not pledged allegiance to that state....!
Old May 14th 2004, 5:30 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
how bizarre...how can a state legitimately draft persons who have not pledged allegiance to that state....!
phucked up isn't it.

Also there is a space on the N400 form for it too............
Old May 14th 2004, 5:32 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by PrincessofWales

Cannon fodder is cannon fodder. I have some vague memory of being asked to uphold the Constitution of the U.S. when I was accepted as a Resident Alien, but that was many moons ago and things may have changed. Perhaps they can slip the draft thing in under that.
Old May 15th 2004, 3:40 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by manc1976
If you have kids, whom live here.........
it is irrelevent if they were born in UK/USA/Australia/Moon
Why would anyone think that the laws of the country in which you live can be selected at whim on a mix-and-match basis? If you live in the US the laws apply to you, period. It seems entirely reasonable to me that if the law says that 18-26 year olds must register then register they must. Those who live here, and enjoy the benefits of living in America, must also pay the price, as specified by the law.

In any case I am sure that the whole thing is moot. These days warfare is increasingly a remote technology affair, smart missiles, unmanned aircraft, long range artillery, and what have you. The days when fighting a war meant putting thousands of infantry on the battlefield are long gone. That is what Saddam tried in Gulf War I and what many of his troops met with was the sharp end of a tank plough. :scared: