Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Disenfranchised????

Disenfranchised????

Old May 13th 2004, 3:47 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

PrincessofWales is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Disenfranchised????

My parents tell me quite adamantly last night that I am disenfranchised and should quit wasting energy ranting on at Bush and Blair and associated cronies because I have no vote!

Is that right?

I have US green card, own property in UK, pay UK income tax, etc, but have no vote? How can this be?

So are they right or are they wrong? Whatever happened to absentee vote?
Old May 13th 2004, 4:04 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disenfranchised????

Originally posted by PrincessofWales
My parents tell me quite adamantly last night that I am disenfranchised and should quit wasting energy ranting on at Bush and Blair and associated cronies because I have no vote!

Is that right?

I have US green card, own property in UK, pay UK income tax, etc, but have no vote? How can this be?

So are they right or are they wrong? Whatever happened to absentee vote?
You have a vote by proxy in the UK.

If however you have been an expat for over 15 years and never registered to vote, then you are barred from voting in the UK until you are a resident again.
Old May 13th 2004, 4:10 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

so which constituency do I register to vote in?
Old May 13th 2004, 4:24 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

so which constituency do I register to vote in?
The last constituency that you lived in.
Old May 13th 2004, 8:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

U need to register to vote, if as I believe we are to be offered thechoice to become fully fledged members of the euro super-state, or remain a viable independent nation free of Brussels ( but not dc no doubt ! )
Old May 13th 2004, 8:49 pm
@matthewb76

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
U need to register to vote, if as I believe we are to be offered thechoice to become fully fledged members of the euro super-state, or remain a viable independent nation free of Brussels ( but not dc no doubt ! )
There will be a referendum on whether or not the UK should accept the new EU constitution.
Old May 14th 2004, 10:53 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Is that right?

I have US green card, .....
If you take US citizenship (applying three years after a marriage GC, five years otherwise) you'll get a US vote.
Old May 14th 2004, 12:22 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Pulaski
If you take US citizenship (applying three years after a marriage GC, five years otherwise) you'll get a US vote.
And of course we have a superb range of choices among the politicians on both sides of the Atlantic.
Old May 14th 2004, 4:23 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

Originally posted by Pulaski
This is not the type of regime I could fathom pledging allegiance to or risking any kids of mine being drafted into....
Old May 14th 2004, 4:24 pm
@matthewb76

This is not the type of regime I could fathom pledging allegiance to or risking any kids of mine being drafted into....
hello selective service, how are you today?

makes no difference if they still live here.
Old May 14th 2004, 5:12 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

Originally posted by manc1976
hello selective service, how are you today?

makes no difference if they still live here.
have no kids yet...makes no difference to what?
Old May 14th 2004, 5:18 pm
I'm as thick as a plank!

not if I'm not a citizen they wouldn't, which was what this plank implied with a heavy dose of hypotheses!

Last edited by PrincessofWales; May 14th 2004 at 5:22 pm.
Old May 14th 2004, 5:24 pm
@matthewb76

not if I'm not a citizen they wouldn't, which was what this plank implied with a heavy dose of hypotheses!
Any male between 18-26 US citizen or Permanent resident alien (and even laughable still illegal aliens) MUST register with selective service.
Old May 14th 2004, 5:26 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I'm afraid resident aliens and such-like still have to sign up.
Old May 14th 2004, 5:29 pm
@matthewb76

...unless these non-USC hypothetical kids of mine were born in the UK.
If you have kids, whom live here.........
it is irrelevent if they were born in UK/USA/Australia/Moon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.