British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Discrimination against a non US citizen (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/discrimination-against-non-us-citizen-772241/)

linda and nick Sep 21st 2012 2:37 am

Discrimination against a non US citizen

We are Permanent Residents and have been living and working in Florida for over 5 years and of course paying all taxes.

I have noticed over the past 12 months, on receiving various coupons through the mail, that some offers are open to "US citizens" only. Is this actually legal?
I certainly wouldn't mind producing my Permanent Resident card as proof in order gain a 'Senior Special Eye Exam' etc.
Does anyone know about this discrimination?

Also, we were refused a free mini cruise two years ago for the same reason (I know they are really a bit of a con) but the principle is the same and the company did write and telephone us.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

Mummy in the foothills Sep 21st 2012 2:44 am

Re: Discrimination against a non US citizen

We've been here 25 years and even back then a lot of competitions and offers like the free weekend from time share companies always said US citizens, so it's not new. It used to be in the small print so not as noticeable maybe
As my Dh says, "it is what it is" It never really bothered me.

scrubbedexpat099 Sep 21st 2012 4:24 am

If it worries you, naturalise.

ian-mstm Sep 21st 2012 11:58 am

Originally Posted by linda and nick (Post 10291875)
Is this actually legal?

Yes, if the offer is from a private (= not government funded) source.

Groups that receive federal/state funding can't discriminate... but it's perfectly legal for private companies. Is it good business? Probably not... but that's a different issue.

Ian

linda and nick Sep 21st 2012 12:04 pm

Thanks for that Ian. A clear and precise answer (:

hobbes79 Sep 21st 2012 1:22 pm

It’s probably just a generalization from someone not understanding the intricacies of immigration and who can live here legally. Chances are, if you showed up and explained, you’d be fine.

I flew into a LA a couple of years ago as a greencard holder, and immigration had 2 lines:

1. US Citizens
2. Visitors

I was of course, neither.

robin1234 Sep 21st 2012 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by hobbes79 (Post 10292573)
It’s probably just a generalization from someone not understanding the intricacies of immigration and who can live here legally. Chances are, if you showed up and explained, you’d be fine.

I flew into a LA a couple of years ago as a greencard holder, and immigration had 2 lines:

1. US Citizens
2. Visitors

I was of course, neither.

I agree with this. Probably a lot of Americans who haven't really thought about it, and don't have any foreign friends or relatives, think people are divided into (a) US Citizens (b) Foreign Tourists and (c) Illegal Immigrants.

Steve_ Sep 21st 2012 4:37 pm

I have noticed over the past 12 months, on receiving various coupons through the mail, that some offers are open to "US citizens" only.

It might be illegal under the Civil Rights Act, depends on what exactly they're on about. For example if it is a coupon for a discount at a hotel, it is illegal to discriminate on the basis of national origin in lodging.

States also often have their own civil rights legislation although I think only California has one that has any real teeth to it.

It also happens the other way around, offers for things that you are not legally able to do. For example, I endlessly get contacted by brokerage companies when I'm in the US, but as a non-resident alien I cannot use a US brokerage company.

tuxedocat Sep 22nd 2012 12:55 pm

It's legal fine print due to contests rules. They are very regulated that is why there is a page of small print when entering for a $20 gift card at the grocery store. Some are restricted by state of residence too. I would not call it discrimination or civil rights issue because it's a contest!

tuxedocat Sep 22nd 2012 12:57 pm

We are Permanent Residents and have been living and working in Florida for over 5 years and of course paying all taxes.

I have noticed over the past 12 months, on receiving various coupons through the mail, that some offers are open to "US citizens" only. Is this actually legal?
I certainly wouldn't mind producing my Permanent Resident card as proof in order gain a 'Senior Special Eye Exam' etc.

Also, we were refused a free mini cruise two years ago for the same reason (I know they are really a bit of a con) but the principle is the same and the company did write and telephone us.

Any advice would be gratefully received.

For something like the eye exam it's a marketing thing to get you in the door, I would take advantage of whatever promo is being offered.

holly2234 Sep 22nd 2012 1:11 pm

Like someone mentioned above, people seem to think people in the US are either citizens, visitors or illegal. My family even has some mad thought in their head that when i enter the US im a citizen. I've explained numerous times that it doesnt work like that!

linda and nick Sep 22nd 2012 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by tuxedocat (Post 10294100)
It's legal fine print due to contests rules. They are very regulated that is why there is a page of small print when entering for a $20 gift card at the grocery store. Some are restricted by state of residence too. I would not call it discrimination or civil rights issue because it's a contest!

Thanks for your reply tuxedocat but at no time have I mentioned a "contest!":confused:

tuxedocat Sep 22nd 2012 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by linda and nick (Post 10294140)
Thanks for your reply tuxedocat but at no time have I mentioned a "contest!":confused:

Oh I'm sorry, I thought the cruise was something you won. I worked late and posted before caffeine! I apologize! :(

scrubbedexpat097 Sep 22nd 2012 2:38 pm

I have always thought the US Citizen type thing actually just meant anyone that was living in the US legally?

ian-mstm Sep 22nd 2012 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 10294213)
I have always thought the US Citizen type thing actually just meant anyone that was living in the US legally?

Generally, I think that's exactly what it means... although they don't write it that way. I think that's because it's easier (and takes up less ink) to write USC than to encompass all the variations on legal residency.

Ian

yellowroom Sep 22nd 2012 2:47 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 10294218)
Generally, I think that's exactly what it means... although they don't write it that way. I think that's because it's easier (and takes up less ink) to write USC than to encompass all the variations on legal residency.

I'm not sure that significantly more ink or pixels are needed to say "US citizens and residents only."

ian-mstm Sep 22nd 2012 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom (Post 10294227)
I'm not sure that significantly more ink or pixels are needed to say "US citizens and residents only."

Yah... but "residents" is a decidedly nebulous term, although "legal residents" would certainly be an improvement.

Ian

Bootle Sep 22nd 2012 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 10294235)
Yah... but "residents" is a decidedly nebulous term, although "legal residents" would certainly be an improvement.

Ian

Actually "legal resident" is also nebulous depending on the particular law that it is being proscribed to. A legal resident for immigration purposes is different to a legal resident for tax purposes.

Also it is constitutionally unclear as to whether even legal permanent residents are a protected class. The provisions of the constitution dealing with diversity, citizenship and aliens are dealing with state diversity, citizenship and alien status. What is constitutionally clear is states and the federal government cannot discriminate against non-US citizens for the purposes of education and health care but may for certain state benefits.