Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Disaster. Lost passports and visas

Disaster. Lost passports and visas

Old Aug 6th 2013, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Disaster. Lost passports and visas

Hi. Please help. Somehow I've managed to lose mine and my hubby's passports with our visas in. How bad is this? How long will it take to get new ones? Am sure I showed them as ID to gain membership to the Children's Museum on Sunday but they can't find them. Feeling really sick at the thought of having lost them.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 6:13 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disaster. Lost passports and visas

Originally Posted by LeavingLondon
Hi. Please help. Somehow I've managed to lose mine and my hubby's passports with our visas in. How bad is this? How long will it take to get new ones? Am sure I showed them as ID to gain membership to the Children's Museum on Sunday but they can't find them. Feeling really sick at the thought of having lost them.
LL, this seems to be the appropriate page for replacement of a US visa lost overseas: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_2009.html You will need a police report for the lost/presumed stolen visa.

As for quick replacement of a UK passport, I'm hoping someone else will know.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 7:56 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly, don't worry. You're not the first to lose a passport, and you won't be the last.

Secondly, you must report them as lost immediately. Please see: https://www.gov.uk/report-a-lost-or-stolen-passport for details.

Thirdly, go to http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_2009.html which details how to let the US Embassy that issued your visa know you have lost it.

Fourthly, and probably the most painful part, you will need to reschedule an appointment at your nearest US Embassy (that is NOT in the United States) to have a replacement visa issued.

This means a new DS-160, more visa fees and a plane ticket to a nearby country (Canada?) to appear at the Consulate to ask for your visa to be approved again.

Frankly, the fourth part is the nightmare bit and I hope I never have to go through it.

Good luck!
Old Aug 6th 2013, 8:04 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
..... your nearest US Embassy (that is NOT in the United States) .....
As opposed to? ..... Doesn't the federal government maintain an embassy in every state capital?

Spoiler:
Er, no!
Old Aug 6th 2013, 9:02 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
As opposed to? ..... Doesn't the federal government maintain an embassy in every state capital?

Spoiler:
Er, no!
I was just making clear that the OP will need to travel outside the US to have their visa issued again.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 9:05 pm
Forum Regular

Bootle will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pulaski

Spoiler:
Er, no!
If you wanted to be 100% correct it should be an Embassy or Consulate of the United States that will process the visa type and for non-residents.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 9:48 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bootle
If you wanted to be 100% correct it should be an Embassy or Consulate of the United States that will process the visa type and for non-residents.
Based on a discussion I read, but did not participate in, within the past 4-5 days on the subject of embassies and consulates and the conclusion was that it is always a consulate that processes visas, and that some, but not all consulates are located within embassies. ..... Which in any case is incidental to the point I was making, which is that ALL embassies/ consulates are necessarily outside the US and it is therefore redundant to say say, and looks slightly odd if you leave a suggestion that there might be US embassies within the US.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 10:28 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hungryhorace
Firstly, don't worry. You're not the first to lose a passport, and you won't be the last.

Secondly, you must report them as lost immediately. Please see: https://www.gov.uk/report-a-lost-or-stolen-passport for details.

Thirdly, go to http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_2009.html which details how to let the US Embassy that issued your visa know you have lost it.

Fourthly, and probably the most painful part, you will need to reschedule an appointment at your nearest US Embassy (that is NOT in the United States) to have a replacement visa issued.

This means a new DS-160, more visa fees and a plane ticket to a nearby country (Canada?) to appear at the Consulate to ask for your visa to be approved again.

Frankly, the fourth part is the nightmare bit and I hope I never have to go through it.

Good luck!
However, you don't need to do step 4 until you want to re-enter the USA. You don't need the visa in your passport, while you remain in the USA. So unless you have plans for an international vacation, or need to travel on business, you can hold off on this part.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 10:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

LeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond reputeLeavingLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone who responded. The Museum (after 3 panicked calls from me) have found them! What a horrid and stressful day (and we've now missed our written driving exam twice - last time we didn't have printed i-94s, this time due to no passports - third time's the charm... I hope!)

Have a great day - i need a few
Old Aug 6th 2013, 10:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Phew, that's a relief! Don't worry - it gets easier after the first few months, once all these tedious admin things are sorted.
Old Aug 6th 2013, 10:35 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you everyone who responded. The Museum (after 3 panicked calls from me) have found them! What a horrid and stressful day (and we've now missed our written driving exam twice - last time we didn't have printed i-94s, this time due to no passports - third time's the charm... I hope!)

Have a great day - i need a few
Phew! What a relief

Good luck on the driving tests
Old Aug 6th 2013, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N1cky
Phew! What a relief

Good luck on the driving tests
Thank you! Am so relieved. I shall take the kids for a swim to celebrate (before drinking my wine!)
Old Aug 7th 2013, 12:33 am
Forum Regular

agentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to beholdagentred is a splendid one to behold

Thank you! Am so relieved. I shall take the kids for a swim to celebrate (before drinking my wine!)
Careful, don't get the passports wet!