Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Disaster contrast & view on religion

Disaster contrast & view on religion

Old Jan 4th 2006, 3:30 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Disaster contrast & view on religion

After Katrina there were lots of quotes in the news from refugees talking about 'we will put our faith in god' blah blah blah as their shanty towns were blown away

from the coal mining tradegy...

'Casto said the tragedy has shaken the faith of some in the community. "We have got some of us ... saying... that we don't even know if there is a Lord anymore," she said. "We had a miracle, and it was taken away from us."'

Whatever your opinions, or thoughts should be with the families right now - I know what I am like with expectations (on a much less important scale), for the mining company to behave like this just compounds the tragedy
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:33 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disaster contrast & view on religion

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
for the mining company to behave like this just compounds the tragedy
It's not clear that the company was at fault for the communications fiasco. I saw the tape of the CEO's original statement and he states that 12 "people" have been recovered, he doesn't indicate if they were alive or dead. The mistaken leak that they were alive seems to have come from miscommunication between the rescue team in the mine and the control group on top. Add the huge numbers of reporters and townspeople desperate for good news and it's pretty easy to see how this could have happened.

One other thing, this is clearly a tragedy, but the circumstances surrounding it seem so unlikely that they border on the surreal: an enormous build-up of methane is ignited by lightning causing an explosion large enough to shatter rock? What are the chances? I'm not implying that there's a conspiracy afoot, but it certainly seems like catastrophic bad luck.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:36 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
After Katrina there were lots of quotes in the news from refugees talking about 'we will put our faith in god' blah blah blah as their shanty towns were blown away

from the coal mining tradegy...

'Casto said the tragedy has shaken the faith of some in the community. "We have got some of us ... saying... that we don't even know if there is a Lord anymore," she said. "We had a miracle, and it was taken away from us."'

Whatever your opinions, or thoughts should be with the families right now - I know what I am like with expectations (on a much less important scale), for the mining company to behave like this just compounds the tragedy
From what I've heard, someone mentioned theyd found the miners, and someone at the pit head shot their mouth off on a cellphone, playing chinese whispers. I dont know it that was the mining company or not. The officials didnt want to say anything until they knew for sure.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 4:49 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by Chorlton
From what I've heard, someone mentioned theyd found the miners, and someone at the pit head shot their mouth off on a cellphone, playing chinese whispers. I dont know it that was the mining company or not. The officials didnt want to say anything until they knew for sure.
One of our local papers ran a front page story that said "All Miners found alive"..... so they were listening to the whispers too !
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

TaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
One of our local papers ran a front page story that said "All Miners found alive"..... so they were listening to the whispers too !
The Daily Oklahoma ran a similar front page story that read, "They're Alive!". On the surface it seems an outrageous error on their part, but then we have to remember that when they went to press - they have their deadlines to meet remember - that was what was being reported from the site of the disaster. Hindsight is 20/20.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:02 pm
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by TaffyinOK
The Daily Oklahoma ran a similar front page story that read, "They're Alive!". On the surface it seems an outrageous error on their part, but then we have to remember that when they went to press - they have their deadlines to meet remember - that was what was being reported from the site of the disaster. Hindsight is 20/20.
Very true.... I just feel for those families clinging onto hope and then being let down after they had probably thought a great weight was lifted from their shoulders...
Old Jan 4th 2006, 5:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

My Husbands Gran Dad was killed in a mine in Virginia 30 years ago, it never stopped his Mother from being a Bible basher, they had a terrible hard life with there Gran Mother widowed with 6 Kid's up in the hill's.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:00 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
It's not clear that the company was at fault for the communications fiasco. I saw the tape of the CEO's original statement and he states that 12 "people" have been recovered, he doesn't indicate if they were alive or dead. The mistaken leak that they were alive seems to have come from miscommunication between the rescue team in the mine and the control group on top. Add the huge numbers of reporters and townspeople desperate for good news and it's pretty easy to see how this could have happened.

One other thing, this is clearly a tragedy, but the circumstances surrounding it seem so unlikely that they border on the surreal: an enormous build-up of methane is ignited by lightning causing an explosion large enough to shatter rock? What are the chances? I'm not implying that there's a conspiracy afoot, but it certainly seems like catastrophic bad luck.
I watched the news this am on CNN and was amazed at their unabashed intent to try and pin the miscommunication on the Company...I found it curious in their minute by minute timeline- after stating that at such and such a time...company officials reported xyz, at a later time company officials stated abc.... and at 11:47 'it was reported that 12 survivors had been...". To me it sure seems like they- the media rushed to get a scoop, did not fact check or confirm (who needs to... we can say "unconfirmed reports have been received....). Now it seems like a mine foreman overheard 1 half of a conversation and called his sister in the church, giving the erroneous info. It really does not matter what the facts are, the media will continue to blame the company. Today's perceprion is tomorrow's reality.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 6:14 pm
Forum Regular

TaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura aboutTaffyinOK has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by TN-Dave
Very true.... I just feel for those families clinging onto hope and then being let down after they had probably thought a great weight was lifted from their shoulders...
I 100% agree with you when it comes to the families, my heart goes out to them too. I had two uncles who died in the coal mines, my father worked in a coal and so does my brother-in-law. Trust me, I know the anguish the families of those poor men are going through.