Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Disabled visitor

Disabled visitor

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 12:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

suzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond reputesuzimc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Disabled visitor

Hiya,

My Gran at 84 years of age with partial sight and a little bit wobbly on the old legs (bless her) has just decided to come to visit us at the end of March when my parents come out. In the UK she has a disabled badge which means that she can go pretty much anywhere, does anyone know if there is a provision for tourists with disabled badges when they visit, or where I could look it up?

Thanking you
Suzi
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 1:38 pm
Notts - CT

nottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud ofnottsinCT has much to be proud of
Default Re: Disabled visitor

Originally Posted by suzimc
Hiya,

My Gran at 84 years of age with partial sight and a little bit wobbly on the old legs (bless her) has just decided to come to visit us at the end of March when my parents come out. In the UK she has a disabled badge which means that she can go pretty much anywhere, does anyone know if there is a provision for tourists with disabled badges when they visit, or where I could look it up?

Thanking you
Suzi
My Step dad is in the same boat I emailed the DMV and they said to bring the documents over and jsut use them but a friend of mine did it in Florida and the officer said it wasn't allowed... go in to your local DMV and ask them and try and to see if you can get some sort of written proof it is valid.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 2:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzimc
Hiya,

Thanking you
Suzi
Doesn't the Disabled Badge in the UK give priveledges predominantly for parking? Your Gran's not planning on driving in the US is she?

Also, I hope your family has paid for good travel insurance for your Gran. Touch wood, you won't need to use it.

Have you contacted the airline about getting assistance at airports at both ends? She and the others in her party can get preferential assistance getting to/from the gate and with seating on the plane.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:41 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
Doesn't the Disabled Badge in the UK give priveledges predominantly for parking? Your Gran's not planning on driving in the US is she?
you don't need to be the driver to use it though...so it'll allow you to park right up front, next to the fat gits at walmart

and as for the badge, depends onthe state, but around here, if your car doesn't have a disabled plate, you could plonk your thing on the dash, but then again, you can park in disabled slots if your up the duff, and not have a badge...so don't know how that works *l*

holiday insurance will probably be your biggest problem though to be honest.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I must say I wouldn't expect the cops here to recognise a UK disabled badge.
More trouble than its worth, you get one with attitude and your in trouble. Can't you just drop her off at the door like my hubby does for me when its raining.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:06 pm
Country Member

Location: Moved from Georgetown to Round Rock, Texas. 15 miles closer to civilization.
g1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond reputeg1ant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob

holiday insurance will probably be your biggest problem though to be honest.
If you find a company that does insurance for people over 80, I'd be intererested. My dad can't find any.

Alex.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:11 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Doctors here can issue temporary disabled notices for cars. I don't know if that will help or not because in order to get one from them you would probably have to pay for their services.

Also, surely some of the travel companies in the UK must have had to deal with this type of thing at some point. They may have the information you need. Or try some of the disability services in the UK, or the US embassy in the UK. I'm sure they would be able to point you in the right direction at least.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
Doctors here can issue temporary disabled notices for cars. I don't know if that will help or not because in order to get one from them you would probably have to pay for their services.

Also, surely some of the travel companies in the UK must have had to deal with this type of thing at some point. They may have the information you need. Or try some of the disability services in the UK, or the US embassy in the UK. I'm sure they would be able to point you in the right direction at least.
If you contact the local authority in UK that issued the badge they will tell your Nan what to do.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:15 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends on the State, here you have to have a local one, my Mum has one as well, too much hassle to sort out something for a short visit.

My Mum is 79, yes it will cost for travel Insurance, but I do not think that 80 is a cut age beyond which you can not get Travel Insurance, may take some searching and it will cost a bit.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

lolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond reputelolly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boiler
Depends on the State, here you have to have a local one, my Mum has one as well, too much hassle to sort out something for a short visit.

My Mum is 79, yes it will cost for travel Insurance, but I do not think that 80 is a cut age beyond which you can not get Travel Insurance, may take some searching and it will cost a bit.
Cant they get any kind of insurance or discounted flights through over 60's groups ??
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lolly
Cant they get any kind of insurance or discounted flights through over 60's groups ??
Not for airline tickets, mt Mum used to use Saga but they got expensive, she used someone else last time.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 7:04 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ben
...or the US embassy in the UK. I'm sure they would be able to point you in the right direction at least.
<snort>...I doubt it
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 8:59 pm
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nottsinCT
My Step dad is in the same boat I emailed the DMV and they said to bring the documents over and jsut use them but a friend of mine did it in Florida and the officer said it wasn't allowed... go in to your local DMV and ask them and try and to see if you can get some sort of written proof it is valid.

I got the same response from my local police (Florida)the other day apparently they don't recognise other countries. You can pay for a doctor to get one etc.

They do recognise them at the theme parks though which saves a twenty mile hike.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:03 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by g1ant
If you find a company that does insurance for people over 80, I'd be intererested. My dad can't find any.

Alex.
My dad is 81 and gets his through his Post office retirement scheme, it still costs him 160 GBP for 10 days

To the OP, my dad is a little unfirm on his legs sometimes, so we borrowed a collapable wheelchair, if you're doing any sightseeing, it's a great way to get to the front of the line
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 9:13 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
My dad is 81 and gets his through his Post office retirement scheme, it still costs him 160 GBP for 10 days

To the OP, my dad is a little unfirm on his legs sometimes, so we borrowed a collapable wheelchair, if you're doing any sightseeing, it's a great way to get to the front of the line
Not sure what the limitations are on age but I get free annual travel insurance including winter sports (or you can include your family) with my bank account which I've used and claimed on in the past and they have been pretty good. Also if you have the platinum account you can get into airport lounges for free too.

If you don't have the money to meet the criteria I think you can pay so much a month for the service and then upgrade and down grade whenever you want. Lloyds TSB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.