Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Disabled child and health care...

Disabled child and health care...

Old May 17th 2011, 3:19 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disabled child and health care...

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Same thing is happening in California. AmerLisa's right that special needs teachers are in higher demand than others, but these are unusual times...
Aye, they laid a full timer off and got two part timers in a couple years ago I think, so they wouldn't have to provide benefits, but they've just laid them off and the full timer will be gone end of the year. It's pretty crazy.
Old May 17th 2011, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a little unclear on this, sorry if I haven't read it properly.

The husband is waiting for his green card to 'come up' but doesn't have a job in the US. How does that work?

The OP wants to get a teaching job, but if not happy with schools for her child, will home school? When?

We are getting personalized phone calls begging us for donations to keep teachers' jobs going here in California.

It all sounds like pie in the sky.
Old May 17th 2011, 4:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I know, and she won't answer.. I suspect the husband was petitioned by a sibling, or some other long category. Who knows how close to completion it is?
Old May 17th 2011, 4:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bob
Aye, they laid a full timer off and got two part timers in a couple years ago I think, so they wouldn't have to provide benefits, but they've just laid them off and the full timer will be gone end of the year. It's pretty crazy.
That makes a lot of sense.

Providing benefits can easily double the cost of employing someone.
Old May 17th 2011, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by valdosta
I read on some past forums that they can not deny children with pre-exisiting conditions health care coverage and that will apply to everyone for 2014 is that correct?
Don't confuse that with actual coverage. While it's true they can't deny a plan or exclude pre-existing conditions it doesn't mean that the policies offered will be affordable or include coverage for everything you need.
Old May 23rd 2011, 5:21 am
Just Joined

Lurkaholic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Gingerert
Hi Valdosta,

As mentioned on here previously, my son was born in 2009 with a genetic condition, which affects all facets of his development. His biological age is two, but he is really only about a year old in terms of his development. He also has problems with his GI tract, feeding, immune system, scoliosis, seizures, and his heart. He's also the most fantastic kid I've ever met.

Yes, the toll financially can be pretty extreme. We've had bills through that total up to well over a million dollars so far, and there's just no way we could even begin to afford that, even on a payment plan. My husband is a USC and acquired a job with great health insurance just after we were married, but before I moved over here on a CR-1 visa. I was therefore on the plan for about a year before I needed it.

When Little O was born he was automatically a USC too (and a UKC, which is rather handy). He was therefore enrolled in my state's Birth to Three program from day one, which provides his occupational, speech, and physiotherapy. Our insurance covers about 80% of those costs. After a while we also heard about our state's Medicaid scheme for children with disabilities, and were granted coverage with that too. In Wisconsin it's called the Katie Beckett Program, and for us it covers all our out-of-pocket expenses that our insurance company doesn't (so that remaining 20%).

If my son hadn't been born a US citizen he still would receive care under our insurance company, but we would be responsible for the 20% remaining. And that would still bankrupt us! Medical costs are extreme for my son. Even therapy is about $150 a session, and he has up to four sessions a week.

You would have to look in to the specific programs available in your state, and do a lot of research before you go. Also, take your time over the school choices. Our part of Wisconsin has terrible special needs schools, and we're actually planning to move to Minnesota before Little O turns six, just to avoid the schools here. School districts can vary so much, in a very small space.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Hello everyone. New member here and first of all, I offer my apologies for hijacking this thread somewhat with the original poster missing of late.

Your post Gingerert was very informative and although your son's condition seems different to my child's, your post does relate to a possible situation I may be faced with over the course of the next year or so and I would therefore like to ask for your thoughts on the following if I may:

1. My son is 5 years old and autistic. He has reasonable but limited speech, communicates in short sentences, is happy and non-aggressive. So far and touch wood, he has no other medical conditions other than autism and is a regularly healthy boy. We may be moving to Wisconsin soon with medical insurance covered by my employer, although the finer details of the actual plan I do not know yet. My question is whether autism is generally covered under standard insurance plans or is there typically an extra premium or nothing available for this condition? If it is not covered, would my son be at least covered for general health care no problem as he has no other medical conditions (again touch wood) other than autism?

2. Neither my wife, son or I are US citizens. All going well I will be coming over on a L1A visa and my son and wife on a L2, with the GC process initiated shortly after arrival. Would my son be eligible for the Katie Beckett Program under the L2 visa category? If not, would he be eligible under GC status?

3. You mentioned that your "part of Wisconsin has terrible special needs schools". I am now at the beginning of looking into Wisconsin schools and how the process works and was wondering if you felt any areas of Wisconsin (I will most likely be near Milwaukee) were better than others for Special Needs? Also, would a child with Autism attend a formal Special Needs School in Wisconsin or are they typically included in regular schools who have a Special Needs section? Lastly on this, have you come across the typical fees involved in a Special Needs Education in Wisconsin?

Lastly and most importantly, I wish you all the very best with your son and the future.
Old May 23rd 2011, 2:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lurkaholic

1. My son is 5 years old and autistic. He has reasonable but limited speech, communicates in short sentences, is happy and non-aggressive. So far and touch wood, he has no other medical conditions other than autism and is a regularly healthy boy. We may be moving to Wisconsin soon with medical insurance covered by my employer, although the finer details of the actual plan I do not know yet. My question is whether autism is generally covered under standard insurance plans or is there typically an extra premium or nothing available for this condition? If it is not covered, would my son be at least covered for general health care no problem as he has no other medical conditions (again touch wood) other than autism?

2. Neither my wife, son or I are US citizens. All going well I will be coming over on a L1A visa and my son and wife on a L2, with the GC process initiated shortly after arrival. Would my son be eligible for the Katie Beckett Program under the L2 visa category? If not, would he be eligible under GC status?
If it's a group policy, they can't exclude any pre-existings if there hasn't been a break in medical cover, which the NHS is considered to be.

How much cover offered depends on your plan though, so ask HR for the details and then look up the finer details on the insurance website.

I can't say about the state program, but most public benefits, certainly means tested ones are for LPR's and citizens only.

Anyway, welcome to BE and good luck with the move!
Old May 23rd 2011, 4:25 pm
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

3. You mentioned that your "part of Wisconsin has terrible special needs schools". I am now at the beginning of looking into Wisconsin schools and how the process works and was wondering if you felt any areas of Wisconsin (I will most likely be near Milwaukee) were better than others for Special Needs? Also, would a child with Autism attend a formal Special Needs School in Wisconsin or are they typically included in regular schools who have a Special Needs section? Lastly on this, have you come across the typical fees involved in a Special Needs Education in Wisconsin?

Lastly and most importantly, I wish you all the very best with your son and the future.
Hi Lurkaholic,

Unfortunately I know next to nothing about insurance coverage for autism. I do, however, know of a fantastic family based in Madison, WI whose child is autistic, and they are very knowledgeable about care and coverage for him. Once you have three or more posts I will send you their contact details in a PM, if they agree.

The Katie Beckett program is one part of a whole range of services for people with disabilities in Wisconsin, and we heard about them through Compass Wisconsin, who operate in our district. You might want to check them out (link provided) before coming over. I don't know who operates in Milwaukee, but I'm sure they can point you in the right direction. They are phenomenally useful, and will be able to tell you if autism-spectrum conditions are usually covered, or additional services if they are not.

I do know that there are sources of funding for special needs children available that we don't personally use - some of them we are not eligible for, and others are designed for children with specific needs. I do remember one funding package designed for children with autism.

Now, in terms of what you and your son will be eligible for... I have no idea. I know you don't have to be a USC to receive funding in certain circumstances, but you do have to be a resident. This will be very important to you if you decide to make the move. Other members on BE will be able to tell you what your visa can/will lead to in terms of your immigration status, but once you have that figured out, I would contact Compass Wisconsin and see what they can tell you.

We live in Racine County, which is just across the border from Chicago. The schools here are pretty sh.te, but the districts vary so much. I do know that Milwaukee schools are deemed to be some of the worst in the state... BUT that doesn't mean that their special needs schools/programs are any better or worse than Racine County. I have found it's very hard to get any reliable data on special needs schooling, because it's often not calculated alongside public schools. Also, my son is only two! Our research hasn't been very focused on it yet.

Start with Compass Wisconsin, or try the Southeast Regional Center, based in the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin building in Milwaukee. Both these organisations are really, really helpful.

Good luck! Hope to see you on BE again.
Old May 24th 2011, 4:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
If it's a group policy, they can't exclude any pre-existings if there hasn't been a break in medical cover, which the NHS is considered to be.

How much cover offered depends on your plan though, so ask HR for the details and then look up the finer details on the insurance website.

I can't say about the state program, but most public benefits, certainly means tested ones are for LPR's and citizens only.

Anyway, welcome to BE and good luck with the move!
Thanks for the info Bob. It is definitely a great idea to find our what insurance plan we would have and expect to do so over the next few weeks. It does seem a touch daunting at the moment with the different options and systems but we are hopeful of getting there in the end. This site alone has been a great help in just reading through the threads and I appreciate the contibutions made by all in making such moves easier to understand and giving directions on where to start.
Old May 24th 2011, 4:44 am
Just Joined

Hi Lurkaholic,

Unfortunately I know next to nothing about insurance coverage for autism. I do, however, know of a fantastic family based in Madison, WI whose child is autistic, and they are very knowledgeable about care and coverage for him. Once you have three or more posts I will send you their contact details in a PM, if they agree.

The Katie Beckett program is one part of a whole range of services for people with disabilities in Wisconsin, and we heard about them through Compass Wisconsin, who operate in our district. You might want to check them out (link provided) before coming over. I don't know who operates in Milwaukee, but I'm sure they can point you in the right direction. They are phenomenally useful, and will be able to tell you if autism-spectrum conditions are usually covered, or additional services if they are not.

I do know that there are sources of funding for special needs children available that we don't personally use - some of them we are not eligible for, and others are designed for children with specific needs. I do remember one funding package designed for children with autism.

Now, in terms of what you and your son will be eligible for... I have no idea. I know you don't have to be a USC to receive funding in certain circumstances, but you do have to be a resident. This will be very important to you if you decide to make the move. Other members on BE will be able to tell you what your visa can/will lead to in terms of your immigration status, but once you have that figured out, I would contact Compass Wisconsin and see what they can tell you.

We live in Racine County, which is just across the border from Chicago. The schools here are pretty sh.te, but the districts vary so much. I do know that Milwaukee schools are deemed to be some of the worst in the state... BUT that doesn't mean that their special needs schools/programs are any better or worse than Racine County. I have found it's very hard to get any reliable data on special needs schooling, because it's often not calculated alongside public schools. Also, my son is only two! Our research hasn't been very focused on it yet.

Start with Compass Wisconsin, or try the Southeast Regional Center, based in the Children's Hospital of Wisconsin building in Milwaukee. Both these organisations are really, really helpful.

Good luck! Hope to see you on BE again.
Many thanks for your kind and detailed reply Gingerert. I also appreciate the information on Compass Wisconsin and other links provided and will definitely contact them soon for their thoughts and input on our situation. One of the many things I am trying to clear up regaridng the Katie Beckett program is the eligibility criteria. Clearly we are not US citizens but the "have acceptable immigration status" comment I keep reading on the web gives us some sort of hope of being eligible. What I can't find anywhere is what an "acceptable immigration status" actually is with regards to this program? I will try finding out over the next few days and will post my findings to help others in need. At the same time, if anyone else has experiece with this and would like to add input, it would be most welcome.
I have read as much as I can recently on the Special Needs programmes in Wisconsin and like you touched on, the different districts seem to be a bit hit and miss. What I do understand though is that WI does seem to be one of the best States with regards to services of this nature provided you settle in an appropriate school district. We certainly hope that is the case and will be working hard on this over the next few months.
Old May 26th 2011, 1:18 am
Just Joined

A small update to my post above for anyone looking for more info on the Katie Beckett program eligibility.

I have it confirmed from the relevant body in Wisconsin that Green Card permanent residency status is a minimum for eligibility.
Old May 26th 2011, 2:20 am
Ginger Monkey

Gingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond reputeGingerert has a reputation beyond repute

A small update to my post above for anyone looking for more info on the Katie Beckett program eligibility.

I have it confirmed from the relevant body in Wisconsin that Green Card permanent residency status is a minimum for eligibility.
Yup, that sounds about right.

Will your visa lead to a green card eventually? And have you contacted your HR department to find out what coverage will/will not be available for your son on your insurance plan?

You will probably be in a similar situation to us, in that your income will be too high to receive a full ride for your son on any Medicaid plan. That's why the
Katie Beckett program is so useful. It's designed to ease the financial burden of middle-income families who have children with disabilities, and is needs-based - not income-based. Feel free to ask any other questions about it, and I'll do my bit to answer them. I can also find out some more information for you, if you need a contact this side of the pond.
Old May 26th 2011, 3:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm just curious why you would want the Katie Beckett program? Your son is otherwise healthy, but autistic? I think this Katie Beckett program is for children with high medical needs?

I think what you need to do is research what school districts you may be in and see how their special education departments are. All of them are supposed to offer speech, occupational and physical therapy. Some are better than others. Just as some districts have better autistic programs.
Old May 26th 2011, 7:26 am
Just Joined

Yup, that sounds about right.

Will your visa lead to a green card eventually? And have you contacted your HR department to find out what coverage will/will not be available for your son on your insurance plan?

You will probably be in a similar situation to us, in that your income will be too high to receive a full ride for your son on any Medicaid plan. That's why the
Katie Beckett program is so useful. It's designed to ease the financial burden of middle-income families who have children with disabilities, and is needs-based - not income-based. Feel free to ask any other questions about it, and I'll do my bit to answer them. I can also find out some more information for you, if you need a contact this side of the pond.
I would be going on a L1A visa and then applying for a GC shortly after arrival, where I understand that would take some time which is fine. I believe I will be in a similar position to you where I would not be eligible for Medicaid but should be able to get the supplementary support on top of our health insurance from the Katie Beckett program. As for that, we expect to hear more details on coverage over the next few weeks and then I can try to gauge what is and is not covered. Hopefully all will be well but I certainly will be thorough in my understanding before taking the plunge.

Lastly, thanks for the offer of help. I do not want to burden you at this time other than the great help you have given me so far which I thank you for. I also now have a contact working with Autistic children who is giving me some good pointers on top.
Old May 26th 2011, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I'm just curious why you would want the Katie Beckett program? Your son is otherwise healthy, but autistic? I think this Katie Beckett program is for children with high medical needs?

I think what you need to do is research what school districts you may be in and see how their special education departments are. All of them are supposed to offer speech, occupational and physical therapy. Some are better than others. Just as some districts have better autistic programs.
Good question. I was actually advised to do so by a professional working with Autistic children in Wisconsin for supplementary coverage of additional hours of therapies such as speech, occupational, etc, if needed. In addition, the person who told me a GC was necessary is working for the State of WI, was informed of my child being autistic and didn't seem to bat an eyelid. That being said, I will be sure to explore further.
Agreed on the school district research. I have reached out to a few and collating info as we speak. I'm getting some good help which I am appreciative of.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.