Disability Insurance won't pay if you move back to the UK

Wikiposts

Disability Insurance won't pay if you move back to the UK

Old Sep 28th 2021, 3:04 am
Just Joined

matt_busby_way is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Disability Insurance won't pay if you move back to the UK

Hello,

Disability insurance policies in the US apparently won't pay if we moved back to the UK. In the event of a disability, rather than stay in the US - we will likely move back to the UK or at least consider it. However, the fact that they won't pay outside the USA makes this policy honestly useless.

Has anyone run into this? Any alternatives or ideas?
Old Oct 1st 2021, 4:39 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Disability Insurance won't pay if you move back to the UK

Why is this useless? It is useless for you but not for US employees who continue to reside in the US. A disability policy claim is for when you are unable to work due to a disability. I used it when I was incapacitated after an accident. After healing, I was able to resume my employment. AFAIK, that is the purpose of the insurance ... to cover you while you are physically unable to work until the time you can resume working. If you are disabled, policies offered in the US are for US employees. If you move to a foreign country, why would the US policy pay you since you obviously will not be returning to work in the US and you will no longer be under the care of a US doctor who will attest to your continued inability to perform your employed duties.

Doesn't the UK have some type of disability program you would be eligible to register under if you are fully disabled?
Old Oct 1st 2021, 4:57 am
Just Joined

matt_busby_way is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Disability Insurance won't pay if you move back to the UK

It's great to hear a first-hand perspective on this. I appreciate your responding to this thread. What you are saying does make sense.

Two quick points, though. First, we were looking at the extreme scenario where going back to work was not an option. In that scenario, one would look at this insurance as a source of supplemental income. That is also really the scenario where we would consider moving back to the UK. Second, we were looking at supplemental insurance to top up what is being covered by our employers. Given that it was a personal insurance and we'd make a move to a country with similar healthcare, we assumed that the benefit was not country dependent.

Given your response, I can see why the policy is structured the way it is. It is probably a more realistic scenario that warrants cover.

Again, thanks for responding!