British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Disability Allowance (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/disability-allowance-922789/)

tom169 Mar 2nd 2019 5:47 pm

Re: Disability Allowance

Disability allowance is an attorney and a lawsuit.

Pulaski Mar 2nd 2019 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by tom169 (Post 12646758)
Disability allowance is an attorney and a lawsuit.

I was about to say the same thing - there are perfectly logical reasons why the US has a litigation culture.

In this case, based on the limited information available, a suit for damages, which would go on the insurance company of the driver who hit her*, would likely be settled quickly out of court for a figure based on severity of injuries, out of pocket expenses and loss of income, consequential losses and expenses, "pain and suffering", etc. .... Then your lawyer pockets a third of the settlement figure! :nod:

* If the driver has no, or inadequate insurance, then you have to go after their assets, so if you win damages, an order to seize assets for sale or liquidation. This is why we keep telling people that they need adequate insurance, not necessarily what your state specifies as the minimum requirement, because if you injure a sports star, famous actor, or top executive, you may face a massive law suit, and without adequate insurance that might mean seizing your home to pay the settlement.

Giantaxe Mar 2nd 2019 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 12646798)
I was about to say the same thing - there are perfectly logical reasons why the US has a litigation culture.

In this case, based on the limited information available, a suit for damages, which would go on the insurance company of the driver who hit her*, would likely be settled quickly out of court for a figure based on severity of injuries, out of pocket expenses and loss of income, consequential losses and expenses, "pain and suffering", etc. .... Then your lawyer pockets a third of the settlement figure! :nod:

* If the driver has no, or inadequate insurance, then you have to go after their assets, so if you win damages, an order to seize assets for sale or liquidation. This is why we keep telling people that they need adequate insurance, not necessarily what your state specifies as the minimum requirement, because if you injure a sports star, famous actor, or top executive, you may face a massive law suit, and without adequate insurance that might mean seizing your home to pay the settlement.

OP doesn't say whether the driver was deemed at fault, but totally agree with your premise. This is exactly why I carry umbrella insurance.

Pulaski Mar 2nd 2019 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by Giantaxe (Post 12646807)
OP doesn't say whether the driver was deemed at fault, but totally agree with your premise. This is exactly why I carry umbrella insurance.

Me too! :)

The add-on cost for a home owner is peanuts, almost literally - I believe we spend more on drums of peanuts and mixed nuts every year than we pay for our $1m umbrella policy.