British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dirty toilets at every petrol (gas) station (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dirty-toilets-every-petrol-gas-station-387910/)

franc11s Jul 31st 2006 4:43 pm

Dirty toilets at every petrol (gas) station

19 out of 20 pit stops at Garages we make on the journey from Atlanta to the Gulf coast (about 300 miles) or Florida (400 miles) are the worst pxss-holes I have ever come across. Dirt is an understatement, they are FILTHY beyond belief. The UK used to be bad but NOTHING like this. Even the clean ones are only "just" clean.

Is this true elsewhere across the country or unique to the south.

I thought someone had set up an on-line data base of clean places. I'm not sure there are any in the SOuth !!

TruBrit Jul 31st 2006 4:47 pm

Re: Dirty toilets at every petrol (gas) station

Originally Posted by franc11s
19 out of 20 pit stops at Garages we make on the journey from Atlanta to the Gulf coast (about 300 miles) or Florida (400 miles) are the worst pxss-holes I have ever come across. Dirt is an understatement, they are FILTHY beyond belief. The UK used to be bad but NOTHING like this. Even the clean ones are only "just" clean.

I thought someone had set up an on-line data base of clean places. I'm not sure there are any in the SOuth !!

i stopped relying on those a few yrs ago.....they really are the pits..maybe that's where the name pit-stop originates ;)

ironporer Jul 31st 2006 4:59 pm

Why on earth do you stop 20 times in a 300 mile trip? ;)

I usually find the major truck stops like Pilot or similar to be cleaner, or I just go into a McDonald's to do my duty...they usually are pretty clean. One think I have found- if there is a Hindu/Pakistani/Arab owner behind the counter- turn around, cuz the rest rooms will be filthy 99 times out of a 100. Same thing for Motels...smell curry in the check in- turn around and go.

Serenity Jul 31st 2006 5:12 pm

I mostly went by plane in the US so I only know the gas stations loos across Nebraska and they were all really nice! Of course they probably don't get the same number of people stopping in them!

Bob Jul 31st 2006 5:15 pm

Around here and in Maine, they tend to be pretty clean, but then it depends on where you are...Kittery ain't bad, but the one before is a bit nasty...good ones tend to be those large Blue Canoe Irving's petrol stops around here...

franc11s Jul 31st 2006 5:20 pm

[QUOTE=ironporer]Why on earth do you stop 20 times in a 300 mile trip? ;)
[QUOTE]

Many trips over many years ;)

It seems to be a pattern, as soon as you get outside affluent areas. Of course, on a 300-400 mile journey to Florida, where the freeway's roam, there are not of affluent areas. Even so, the filth is almost 3rd world - literally.

Sarah Jul 31st 2006 5:20 pm

Don't know if you have these in the South but I love Sheetz gas stations, they're like an oasis of awesomeness on the highway of lonliness. Get Go gas stations are player haterz of Sheetz but I'll go for a number two in them if there's no Sheetz around.

cinnabar Jul 31st 2006 5:20 pm

I've heard loads of people complaining about this, so I think it must be a national problem here.

I also heard a stand-up comic with a routine about it. He said, "Why do they always lock those gas station restrooms? Are they afraid someone will go in there and clean them?"

Jerseygirl Jul 31st 2006 5:23 pm

Eww...I was just eating lunch. :(

Rompers Jul 31st 2006 5:28 pm

Slightly off topic, but I always remember some advice from the book Kitchen Confidential:

Never eat in a restaurant with dirty restrooms. They let you see the restrooms...imagine what the kitchen is like.

TruBrit Jul 31st 2006 5:28 pm

Originally Posted by cinnabar
I've heard loads of people complaining about this, so I think it must be a national problem here.

I also heard a stand-up comic with a routine about it. He said, "Why do they always lock those gas station restrooms? Are they afraid someone will go in there and clean them?"

haha the first time i tried to use one hubs asked the gas station guy to pls unlock the loo and i thought oh good hopefully as they keep it locked seems like they take care of it and it'll be reasonably clean..wrong, it was a smelly pit hole, full of crap everywhere and i didn't/couldn't even go in as the smell beat me back .....i've been to some pretty remote places around the world but this lot beats them...can't abide dirt and bad smells...lol just about cope with hubs farts :rolleyes:

Sarah Jul 31st 2006 5:51 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit
haha the first time i tried to use one hubs asked the gas station guy to pls unlock the loo and i thought oh good hopefully as they keep it locked seems like they take care of it and it'll be reasonably clean..wrong, it was a smelly pit hole, full of crap everywhere and i didn't/couldn't even go in as the smell beat me back .....i've been to some pretty remote places around the world but this lot beats them...can't abide dirt and bad smells...lol just about cope with hubs farts :rolleyes:

Imagine the amount of truck drivers who've peed pooed and done other stuff all over the place, prob full of parasites and STD's. I'd rather go in the bushes.

TruBrit Jul 31st 2006 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Sarah
Imagine the amount of truck drivers who've peed pooed and done other stuff all over the place, prob full of parasites and STD's. I'd rather go in the bushes.

i did :o

clydegirl Jul 31st 2006 5:53 pm

I would only use one if it was an emergency. They're always manky.

cinnabar Jul 31st 2006 6:04 pm

When I was a poor student, I went on a cheapo holiday; 50 seater coach down through France, to a campsite in Spain. The coach stopped at a motorway service station for a toilet break but the driver warned us: "them's French toilets. Proper toilets is about another 100 miles, if you can wait."

No one got off the coach. We were all prepared to wait.

French toilets. Nuff said.

How could a nation that invented the bidet have so little interest in proper toilets.