Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Direct TV or Dish Network?

Direct TV or Dish Network?

Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:10 pm
Forum Regular

Braintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to all
Default Direct TV or Dish Network?

Hi,

We've decided that our cable TV each month is getting really expensive and are wondering whether to swop to one of the above. Does anyone have any advice as to which one to go for? Both seem to have similar offers and we would have to stick with Cable for our internet and telephone anyway.

Thanks
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:17 pm
Instigator of the Post

TracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to beholdTracyTN is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Direct TV or Dish Network?

We enjoy our Direct TV but have considered switching because of D TV's 'feud' with Comcast which means the sports channel Versus is not on D TV. (We're big hockey fans so this is important! LOL)

Other than that we're happy with them.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

I had Dish Network but we went back with DirecTV whenever we needed service DirecTV was faster responding to service calls than Dish Network I think that's pretty important
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:29 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

I worked for DTV and I would of said DTV a year ago but Dish is cheaper and more channels plus depends where you are in the US!

DTV does have the footie package, which Dish did not used to carry not sure if thats changed.

If I had to chose I would pick Dish.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Neither. They both lack customer service. Use Google and you can read plenty of info about both of them. I don't disagree that cable is getting way too pricey - I just wish there were better alternatives!
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:32 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
Neither. They both lack customer service. Use Google and you can read plenty of info about both of them. I don't disagree that cable is getting way too pricey - I just wish there were better alternatives!
Some areas don't have the options of other providers, as I said it will depend where you live, if you are in the countryside then the chances of cable are slim.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Braintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to allBraintreegirl is a name known to all

I presume english football is on both of these otherwise they are both out anyway! We're in New Jersey if that makes any difference.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

We have had both, much prefer Dish, better support and cheaper packages
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by Braintreegirl
I presume english football is on both of these otherwise they are both out anyway! We're in New Jersey if that makes any difference.
No idea about the footie go to their sites and look. lazy bugger lol

I hate Footie so its not what I would look for.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Some areas don't have the options of other providers, as I said it will depend where you live, if you are in the countryside then the chances of cable are slim.
Oh, I know. Been there, done that (and still there). I just won't sign a 2yr contract with either provider, even though either company could save us about $50/mo. The contract is all one-sided to benefit the company, not the customer so I will not sign one. I understand about needing to save $$, so I completely understand why someone would go ahead and sign up.

I know Directv will automatically renew a 2yr contract if you move which is a problem for us since we move fairly often. And I know one of them would auto renew if you had someone out to service the equipment (even if it failed thru no fault of your own). So try to read the fine print of the contracts for both companies and see who seems to be of more benefit. If you're more concerned about channels than contractual obligations, then just ignore me.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

We've just had an offer from Dish but only have to tie in for a year which didn't seem too bad...
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TracyTN
We enjoy our Direct TV but have considered switching because of D TV's 'feud' with Comcast which means the sports channel Versus is not on D TV. (We're big hockey fans so this is important! LOL)

Other than that we're happy with them.
Yeah no Versus sucks! No hockey and no PBR! We considered switching to Dish because of losing versus but in the end decided not to.

Apart from the versus issue i don't really have any complaints with Direct tv.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Braintreegirl
We've just had an offer from Dish but only have to tie in for a year which didn't seem too bad...
1Yrs is good read the small print, and it might need a deposit for a 1 year and a SS number.

Plus an additonal charge depending on required amount of receivers.

Make sure that the rooms are not mirrored and you get a dual tune reciever

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jan 12th 2010 at 9:09 pm.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
1Yrs is good read the small print, and it might need a deposit for a 1 year and a SS number.

Plus an additonal charge depending on required amount if receivers.

Make sure that the rooms are not mirrored and you get a dual tune reciever
ok thanks
Old Jan 13th 2010, 12:33 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where you live....

the inlaws can't get cable so they use DirectTV...it's not bad, but a bit shit during the winter way up in Maine, better than Dish apparently though, which cut out far more often. Not much tele when there's a lot of snow or bad weather and you've got to clear the dish.

Do like the info guide on DTV though, much more practical than Comcast, which is rubbish, having to scroll down to a different section to see HD versions of the channels, what plonker thought that was a smart move.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.