British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Direct TV... any good? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/direct-tv-any-good-251029/)

Lesley1020 Aug 26th 2004 12:49 am

Direct TV... any good?

Well I am finally getting cable! BellSouth the local phone company have started doing it in conjunction with Direct TV, and I get the basic package (I think), about 120 channels they said, for 34.99 a month.

I thought this was the one that did Eastenders on pay per view till I saw the giant banner for Dish Network on here LOL. Oh well, who wants to be that depressed anyway.

Oh yeah - how the hell do you get the smiley faces to work on here, when I click on them nothing happens.....

Bob Aug 26th 2004 12:59 am

Re: Direct TV... any good?

Originally Posted by Lesley1020
Oh yeah - how the hell do you get the smiley faces to work on here, when I click on them nothing happens.....

Cos they don't show up until you post them :p
But I think there's a way to change that so it shows straight away in your profile

tinaflorida Aug 26th 2004 4:22 am

I like DirecTV but we lose the signal when it rains heavily - which is quite often in Florida in the summer.

That reminds me - I need to pay the bill!

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 26th 2004 5:57 am

We usd to have Cable, crap

Now have Dish, v good, you need to have the 180 package to get FoxSportsWorld etc

Get the DVR recorder, not a lot more and makes all the difference.

Worked out cheaper than the Cable

ladyofthelake Aug 26th 2004 2:36 pm

Well I am finally getting cable! BellSouth the local phone company have started doing it in conjunction with Direct TV, and I get the basic package (I think), about 120 channels they said, for 34.99 a month.

I thought this was the one that did Eastenders on pay per view till I saw the giant banner for Dish Network on here LOL. Oh well, who wants to be that depressed anyway.

Have a look at the bottom of the reply page. Is the disable smilies in text checked? If it is, uncheck it and they should work again.

Chopper-Chris Aug 26th 2004 3:02 pm

Originally Posted by ladyofthelake
Have a look at the bottom of the reply page. Is the disable smilies in text checked? If it is, uncheck it and they should work again.

I really like Direct TV, we've had it for 2 years now, and it has some excellent features.

With cable we had crap picture on every channel all the time, plus it was very expensive and the customer service was atrocious.

Direct TV picture is awesome but in heavy rain, it does just go blank, if you're watching a movie, they will refund the cost of the movie but it really dosn't happen that often for us (maybe 4 times per year)

The real beneift is, as you flick through the channels, you have an information box that gives you all the information you could need including a programme schedule for the week ahead...none of this watching a programme guide channel crap that you have to sit through with cable.

ladyofthelake Aug 26th 2004 3:18 pm

Forgot to mention, we had cable before getting directv. Not only did we lose the picture during storms, but the whole system would go down and we'd have to wait for an engineer to come out and fix it. With directv it goes out briefly, but comes back again as soon as the strom has cleared. Far cheaper too. Didn't like having to commit for a year at first, but happy to stick with them now anyway.

ScousePete Aug 26th 2004 5:11 pm

directv + tivo = dog's bollocks

:)

Ash UK/US Aug 26th 2004 6:09 pm

Hubby had it before I moved here and we still have it...we are happy with it... like everyone else has said tho it does blank out in heavy rain but it is back as soon as the storm has passed.

ash :)

Lesley1020 Aug 27th 2004 1:14 am

thanks for the info :) - I cant wait to get it installed on Friday - I have to admit I have not turned the TV on for weeks cos it is just sooooooo crap - infact I'm wondering why I even bothered to include the local tv channels LOL I'm even excited about BBCA even although everyone says how crap it is - I loved the House Doctor at home and I believe it's on there :D

Lesley1020 Aug 27th 2004 1:22 am

This is probably a silly questoin - but do they by any chance report to credit agencies?? I know they ran a credit check to get it - and I had to pay a deposit... just wondering.

Bob Aug 27th 2004 1:25 am

thanks for the info :) - I cant wait to get it installed on Friday - I have to admit I have not turned the TV on for weeks cos it is just sooooooo crap - infact I'm wondering why I even bothered to include the local tv channels LOL I'm even excited about BBCA even although everyone says how crap it is - I loved the House Doctor at home and I believe it's on there :D

You'll soon get bored of BBCA after a while tho :(
and the local channels...they come in handy for weather warnings...well they do over here in the winter, find out whats closed -schools, shops etc...

Pimpbot Aug 27th 2004 3:25 am

If direct TV is anything like the Dish Network, then its shite. We have it at work and I can get ESPN in the morning, but come lunch time, it cannot find a signal on most channels. I'm stuck watching CNN or one of the regular TV stations. We have digital cable. The only downside I have found, is that I cannot get NFL sunday ticket on it.

DaveC Aug 27th 2004 3:56 am

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
If direct TV is anything like the Dish Network, then its shite. We have it at work and I can get ESPN in the morning, but come lunch time, it cannot find a signal on most channels. I'm stuck watching CNN or one of the regular TV stations.

Flippin' eck Pimpbot, you get paid to watch TV all day? Wish I had that job!

scrubbedexpat099 Aug 27th 2004 3:46 pm

Foxsprts world was a must have for me.

Listing the key channels Dish for us worked out much cheaper.

I read up all about it and came to the conclusion that there was not a lot in the different services, the recorders work in differant ways. SO I would list our key channels and see which one comes out cheaper.

And to cross polinate with another thread, my wife had to do it in her name because they Credit score.