Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Difficult to make friends in America?

Difficult to make friends in America?

Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all
Default Re: Difficult to make friends in America?

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
I agreed with everything in your post.I bet many people would be surprised to learn that 113 million Americans have passports. Somebody must be traveling! I also like to ask how many citizens in any particular country in Europe have over 100 million passport holders? I think that should put to rest the arguement that Americans don't travel and the myth that not many Americans hold passports.
Well, as the only country with more than 100 million inhabitants that could be called European is Russia, that's not really applicable.

The better question would be what percentage of European country residents have a passport, but as a large part of Europe is part of the Schengen Agreement, they don't need passports to visit 25 other countries that could have completely different cultures, and nearly definitely a different language (the only exceptions being Switzerland and the other countries that share languages with it).
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
Well, my British reserve stops me from telling the parents exactly what I thought of them - that, to me, would be just as rude.
IMHO, saying nothing simply reinforces their poor behavior and, from their POV, absolves their behavior.

It would have been a good idea, however, to send an invoice to the 5 who backed out at the last moment charging them for their share of your costs!

Ian
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:45 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
IMHO, saying nothing simply reinforces their poor behavior and, from their POV, absolves their behavior.

It would have been a good idea, however, to send an invoice to the 5 who backed out at the last moment charging them for their share of your costs!

Ian
+1
Old Nov 20th 2012, 11:49 pm
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Liechtenstein maybe.
LOL
Old Nov 21st 2012, 12:20 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Zug's Secrets: Switzerland's Corporate Hideaway - TIME

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...040142,00.html

Lots of people with passports here..
Old Nov 21st 2012, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Funnily enough I got chatting with my neighbor yesterday and he's an elderly native Mainer who you might assume never left the state. He was a butcher and has very working class roots. He told me about his many trips to London, the Cotswolds and the south of France. I was very impressed!
Old Nov 21st 2012, 4:24 pm
Banned

Cuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to beholdCuthbert Rizla is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Montfan72
Funnily enough I got chatting with my neighbor yesterday and he's an elderly native Mainer who you might assume never left the state. He was a butcher and has very working class roots. He told me about his many trips to London, the Cotswolds and the south of France. I was very impressed!
I was out walking the dog a few days ago and a couple in a car pulled over asking for directions.
American, mid-6os, from somewhere South by their accents, who'd just flown into Dublin,hired a car and were pootling about on some vague mission to discover more about their ancestry.
Towards the end of November in a rain-swept Ireland.
I was impressed.
Pointed them on the way to a good B+B and a decent bit of scoff.
Old Nov 21st 2012, 11:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Shocked at the kid party dissing reports from yourself and Sally. It is callous when it comes to how kids feel about these things.

All I can give is a 'Its not the same for us' story. No idea if its social milieu, geography or we just got lucky.

Lots of well attended parties, with parents who (generally) respond to invites and turn up if they say they will.
Oh yes. Clearly it's not everyone that doesn't show up, because we did have people RSVP and we obviously did have people turn up.

Even just expecting one or two to be late or not show up after all, it does seem that it's the case that it's a bit more than that, probably about half and half from experience, but then they're little kids, no idea if that would happen with folder kids.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 12:06 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Montfan72
I found people in New England to be very well traveled and well cultured and well in tune with the world outside of America. I'd live there again, but not MA...a bit too snobby for my tastes.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 8:31 am
Banned

UkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond reputeUkWinds5353 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious to know if any of you think age is a factor in whether people in America are approachable/friendly or not? And when I say age I mean your's or the age of Americans.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 8:39 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

I'm curious to know if any of you think age is a factor in whether people in America are approachable/friendly or not? And when I say age I mean your's or the age of Americans.
As mentioned before it is difficult to make friends the older you get. I do not believe older Americans are more or less approachable or friendly. The older you are, the more settled you are with less room or need for new close friends. Though still friendly and approachable.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 11:58 am
Banned

Well speaking as a Vietnamese, I can only say that Americans in their 60s and over scare the sh$t out of me.
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 6:36 pm
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67
Well speaking as a Vietnamese, I can only say that Americans in their 60s and over scare the sh$t out of me.
Ha ha ha ffs
Old Nov 22nd 2012, 8:55 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by fakey
Ha ha ha ffs
I'm hoping to help make this the longest thread ever.
Old Nov 23rd 2012, 12:28 am
Forum Regular

Chrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond reputeChrisdc has a reputation beyond repute

FWIW I have always found Americans to be friendly, selfless and willing to make lasting friendships. Of course it's all anecdotal, but here are my experiences:

I was single and in my early 30s when I came here. I am sure that made it easier to meet other people. I also lived in a metropolitan centre where the locals couldn't get enough of my accent. Making friends was as easy as ordering a cappuccino at the local hipster coffee shop. As a result I did not need to seek out the expat community. That helped.

Are American's selfish? I don't think so. In my first two weeks in the country I had a minor medical emergency. I had to go for surgery in the local hospital. My boss, an American who I barely knew, drove me to surgery, came and picked me up, took me home and fed me, and then checked in on me regularly until I was better. I was pretty surprised and very grateful. I was doubtful that I would have had this experience when I lived in London.

Another key moment came six months after my arrival. My new American friends took me aside and pointed out that slagging off their president, food, ATMs, driving skills, fork-knife habits, language, accents, education etc... was getting a little old and maybe I could tone it down a bit (in the nicest way possible.) As an argumentative Scot used to pub debates I had no idea that anyone would ever take offense at something I said, so for a moment I was at a loss. Eventually I chilled out and started to treat the US as a very foreign country, and not just the UK with better weather. I think that helped speed up my assimilation.

I moved to New York and made more new friends. One of them I trusted enough to start a business with. It's been 6 years and going strong. Another friend took my wife and I in during the recent hurricane, fed us and took care of us until we could return home.

Conclusion? I guess YMMV!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.