Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Difficult to make friends in America?

Difficult to make friends in America?

Old Nov 19th 2012, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Difficult to make friends in America?

This has been an interesting thread. I'm nearly three years in, I like living in the US, but the making friends thing has been a disaster. I have made some good friends, but they are all British. I'd love to make some American friends but it just hasn't happened. I go to the gym and the library, no one ever speaks to you there. I do chat to the folk at the animal shelter I volunteer at, but it's more a casual acquaintance thing (though on the up side, the cats don't give a stuff what nationality you are and a puppy kiss is the same in any language!). I don't have a job so no communication there. No kids either. I can easily go whole days without speaking to someone other than my OH. It's hard, and isolating, and there are days when I want to just give in and cry. Probably doesn't help that my friends back home are truly awful at keeping in touch. I'm naturally fairly reserved so find it really hard to just strike up a conversation, but if I find real friendship I do cherish it.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 11:01 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kimilseung
What did she mean? (I get that it is not a good thing, but how and why)
Being ignored, not being accepted by the locals, expected to act in a certain way... She was studying Chinese and trying to interact with the people there.
Old Nov 19th 2012, 11:06 pm
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by MadRad
This has been an interesting thread. I'm nearly three years in, I like living in the US, but the making friends thing has been a disaster. I have made some good friends, but they are all British. I'd love to make some American friends but it just hasn't happened. I go to the gym and the library, no one ever speaks to you there. I do chat to the folk at the animal shelter I volunteer at, but it's more a casual acquaintance thing (though on the up side, the cats don't give a stuff what nationality you are and a puppy kiss is the same in any language!). I don't have a job so no communication there. No kids either. I can easily go whole days without speaking to someone other than my OH. It's hard, and isolating, and there are days when I want to just give in and cry. Probably doesn't help that my friends back home are truly awful at keeping in touch. I'm naturally fairly reserved so find it really hard to just strike up a conversation, but if I find real friendship I do cherish it.
I wouldn't have thought of the library as an obvious place to make friends. How about doing more voluntary work, or getting involved in something more creative than a gym, where you do things with other people.
Bridge, mahjong, AMdram, rock-climbing?
Old Nov 19th 2012, 11:11 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Many suburbs in the US are soulless places - however this is what the suburbs in China look like - cookie cutter commie blocks. Awesome.

http://chinaurbandevelopment.com/wp-...ingsuburbs.jpg

Makes you appreciate the mainstay of suburbs across Britain - the good old mock tudor semi.

http://westlondonfilmoffice.co.uk/wp...icture_784.jpg
Cool pics again
I think I can see a new Twinkie factory in the Chinese photo
Old Nov 19th 2012, 11:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

So to get back on topic ive come to the conclusion that it is a location thing. I live in the PNW coast as already stated and it is very mellow and easy going and accepting and ive made friends and i mean REAL friends who care about me (as i do them) and who call me and arrange dates and turn up. It is truly unpretentious - people are more concerned with people rather than what one is wearing - in fact the latest fad/fashion would just somehow look a bit daft here
Old Nov 19th 2012, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fakey
Sorry Ca - its just there was a lot of people berating me about stuff & I felt like I needed to berate somebody back

I love it here too
I have broad shoulders
Old Nov 19th 2012, 11:43 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
So to get back on topic ive come to the conclusion that it is a location thing. I live in the PNW coast as already stated and it is very mellow and easy going and accepting and ive made friends and i mean REAL friends who care about me (as i do them) and who call me and arrange dates and turn up. It is truly unpretentious - people are more concerned with people rather than what one is wearing - in fact the latest fad/fashion would just somehow look a bit daft here
Good for you
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:34 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HumphreyC
Many suburbs in the US are soulless places - however this is what the suburbs in China look like - cookie cutter commie blocks. Awesome.

http://chinaurbandevelopment.com/wp-...ingsuburbs.jpg

Makes you appreciate the mainstay of suburbs across Britain - the good old mock tudor semi.

http://westlondonfilmoffice.co.uk/wp...icture_784.jpg
That pic of China looks like an aerial view of some council flats in Wolvo. Do they have scallies there too that nick stuff, bang on your door for toilet paper at 3am and get smashed on Carlsberg Special Brew?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:37 am
Banned

Ethelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond reputeEthelred_the_Unready has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
There may be some truth to this.

****, 8 million pages later and still no definitive answer; just a bunch of discussions pertaining to Israel & Palestine, the Golders Green Massive, scenery and random trolling.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:47 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Ethelred_the_Unready

****, 8 million pages later and still no definitive answer; just a bunch of discussions pertaining to Israel & Palestine, the Golders Green Massive, scenery and random trolling.
did you think there would be a definitive answer?
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Difficult to make friends in America?

Wheres the stuff about the Golders Green Massive ?!?!?!?

I know Golders Green really well [shy]
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:51 am
Banned

That pic of China looks like an aerial view of some council flats in Wolvo. Do they have scallies there too that nick stuff, bang on your door for toilet paper at 3am and get smashed on Carlsberg Special Brew?
Nah! group responsibility is ingrained from an early age. anyone who did that would soon get sorted out
Old Nov 20th 2012, 12:56 am
Banned

Originally Posted by fakey
Wheres the stuff about the Golders Green Massive ?!?!?!?

I know Golders Green really well [shy]
Ok, I invented it.
Old Nov 20th 2012, 1:01 am
Forum Regular

fakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond reputefakey has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, I invented it.
What ?!?

OK now youre just f#cking w/ me & Im not ploughing thru 50 pgs of this thread looking for it

Bit of a shame though ( for me anyway) -
Old Nov 20th 2012, 1:06 am
Account Closed

goldenstate31 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I don't try now and have accepted it. I never take it personally when I'm flaked on, people do it to eachother all the time here (LA may be worse than a lot of other places). .
lost count how many times ive heard that
Although i live in 'The OC' (probably worse or flakier than L.A maybe?? Im not sure)
but everybody says to me things like, Quote: 'oh yeah this is orange county people are flaky in orange county, you would be better off in LA

Anyway changing the subject here completely, BUT I love your Avatar!! (michone is fantastic! especially in this weeks episode!! I'm hoping Lori isnt dead though walking dead and Sons of Anarchy best shows on TV)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.