Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

different names on passport and green card.

different names on passport and green card.

Old Nov 29th 2002, 5:31 am
Just Joined

docnlisa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default different names on passport and green card.

I have been in the states a while now. I came over got married to a US citizen, that ended in divorce and now i have remarried again to another US citizen. Anyway my passport and my green card have remained in my previous name. I didn't change the names over as i still had several years left on both documents. Now my passport has expired and i have to change it to my current name. I have been planning on visiting England soon but am worried about getting stopped by INS when i re-enter the States because my greencard and my passport will have different surnames. I don't want to have to do the whole name change thing with INS yet as i still have a long time till expiration. Does anyone have any idea what will happen at the gate when i come back through or are there any other documents i should take with me? I would be grateful for any info. thanks
Old Dec 26th 2002, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

Ashmann is an unknown quantity at this point

My wife has her green card with my last name on it, although she never took my last name. It was an INS error. she traveled so many times with her passport (with her last name) without any problems although we are always afraid they might make an issue out of it.