Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Different cities, different cars.......

Different cities, different cars.......

Old Dec 14th 2007, 5:50 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Different cities, different cars.......

I gotta nice truck for sale ..
Old Dec 14th 2007, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

how redneck do you think i am
Old Dec 14th 2007, 5:52 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by basementwaj
how redneck do you think i am
Your in TN
Old Dec 14th 2007, 6:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
LMFAo

KKB is a joke. Its a book made solely to fool buyers into thinking they are getting a deal. Nobody in the trade uses it not insurance companies, dealers or salvage companies. Go get your KBB and throw it in the garbage or at least make some use of it to steady the leg of a wonky table.

Its a worthless article and way over quotes the value of vehicles....which is why dealers love it....so the punter thinks they are getting a steal but in reality a dealer is.

Think about it for a second. Look at all the huge dealerships in your area, how many cars do they sell on average a day and how much does it cost to operate that sales centre? You really believe they are going to sell you a car for a skinny $100 to $200 mark up?
OMG the car dealers were glad to see HER coming! Paying OVER blue book???????

Last new car I bought, I had them show me the invoice. They took $200 over invoice on a brand new model.

They make a lot of profit besides that - incentives from the manufacturer, so they end up making more. I don't recall all the details, but a friend's husband worked for a dealership.

Somewhere around invoice is a fair deal.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 6:31 pm
Ray

Originally Posted by Tracym
OMG the car dealers were glad to see HER coming! Paying OVER blue book???????

Last new car I bought, I had them show me the invoice. They took $200 over invoice on a brand new model.

They make a lot of profit besides that - incentives from the manufacturer, so they end up making more. I don't recall all the details, but a friend's husband worked for a dealership.

Somewhere around invoice is a fair deal.
Of course dealer invoice does not mention holdback..
usually around 3%
Old Dec 14th 2007, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Of course dealer invoice does not mention holdback..
usually around 3%
I was buying a model just out. Plus they didn't have what I wanted on the lot. Had to call around and then fetch it from the next state.

So seemed a reasonable deal to me.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 7:07 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

sorry guys, but $200 over their invoice on a typical $20K car would not pay for the office paperclips - a 1% gross margin. The rent on the lot will be $20K pcm plus (100 cars worth of gross margin) let alone staff costs, insurance, you name it. I would expect their gross margin to be over 10% to give them a net of at least 5% at the end of the day.

This might be via incentives or whatever, but a 1% gross margin is not going to keep a business afloat.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

It's all down to supply and demand - if you're looking at something that's in short supply then you're going to end up paying more for it. I'm not talking about new cars. The number I add my $200 is the price that a private buyer could expect to receive from a dealer for a car that was perfect (or as perfect as is reasonable for the age of the vehicle).
Old Dec 14th 2007, 7:10 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

To answer the OP - San Francisco is Prius central, plus all varieties of Saab, Volvo, BMW, Audi, Merc etc. As you head out it turns into VW, Honda and other Toyotas, only moving into American cars as you hit the boonies.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 7:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
sorry guys, but $200 over their invoice on a typical $20K car would not pay for the office paperclips - a 1% gross margin. The rent on the lot will be $20K pcm plus (100 cars worth of gross margin) let alone staff costs, insurance, you name it. I would expect their gross margin to be over 10% to give them a net of at least 5% at the end of the day.

This might be via incentives or whatever, but a 1% gross margin is not going to keep a business afloat.
Well you go ahead and pay more then if you like.

I haven't paid more than $200 over invoice for any new vehicle I've bought.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 7:37 pm
Democracy advocate

Well you go ahead and pay more then if you like.

I haven't paid more than $200 over invoice for any new vehicle I've bought.
sorry Tracym, but do you really think that invoice is the real price they are paying for the car? I suspect it is a "show the customer" invoice and actually there is a seperate rebate somewhere of a couple of thousand bucks.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 7:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sorry Tracym, but do you really think that invoice is the real price they are paying for the car? I suspect it is a "show the customer" invoice and actually there is a seperate rebate somewhere of a couple of thousand bucks.
I doubt thye'll do that - it'd be too illegal to be worth the risk. And you can check online what the invoice prices should be like - I did.

But, like I said, there are incentives and other stuff - I think they make more than the $200 (as they should).

But paying around "inovice" is the way to a fair price imo. If you pay lots more than that, they're getting more than they need to.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 7:44 pm
Ray

Its called holdback usually about 3%
Old Dec 14th 2007, 7:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
Its called holdback usually about 3%
Thanks Ray, I don't know the terms or the details.... but I know it's in there.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 7:47 pm
Democracy advocate

I doubt thye'll do that - it'd be too illegal to be worth the risk. And you can check online what the invoice prices should be like - I did.

But, like I said, there are incentives and other stuff - I think they make more than the $200 (as they should).

But paying around "inovice" is the way to a fair price imo. If you pay lots more than that, they're getting more than they need to.
As long as you are happy with the car and the price you paid, nothing else matters.

One example of a no-margin business is HP printers - they give the printers away to make their money selling inkjet cartridges afterwards, perhaps there is a tied servicing deal on the car or something similar (financing) that allows them to make their margin that way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.