Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Different cities, different cars.......

Different cities, different cars.......

Old Dec 14th 2007, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Different cities, different cars.......

Hi everybody, its been a while since i last posted, but think its about time i get back on the BE bandwagon...

Since i have been here (10 months now) i have noticed that different cities prefer different types of cars... Which also effects the used car market from county/city/state to county/city/state.

I thought it might be useful to start a little thread to show where there are a lot of a particular makes of cars and where you can find good deals.

For example, i live near Nashville where the American truck is still king!
Best deals here are on Dodges and Fords, but not so much with the cars....

However, Atlanta has a huge number of Audi and VW dealers and is a big importer direct from Germany. I have found some great deals on TT's, Passats, Jettas and A4/A6's there.....
What are the car trends and used car deals like where you are???
Also, do the dealers like to haggle there?? I have found dealers here to take offence when i haggle with them......
Old Dec 14th 2007, 3:31 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all
Default Re: Different cities, different cars.......

Can't speak to the availability of deals etc here in Pittsburgh, but one thing I will say about haggling: when I'm buying a "new" car, I work out what the dealer would have paid for it, add a $100 -$200 profit, write that on a piece of paper and tell them to take it or leave it. I don't get involved in haggling per se, and if they want more for it, then it's their problem not mine. This is not an original idea (I think I saw it in consumer reports) but it works 90% of the time and with no unpleasantness.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

basementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond reputebasementwaj has a reputation beyond repute

I found that works everywhere here... i got about 20% off my furniture / electronics purchases doing that.. Most stores think you are mad for asking for money off, but when you go to leave the store they call you right back.
I even bought a car cigarette power splitter from radioshack for half price cos i said i saw it cheaper at target
Old Dec 14th 2007, 4:20 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
Can't speak to the availability of deals etc here in Pittsburgh, but one thing I will say about haggling: when I'm buying a "new" car, I work out what the dealer would have paid for it, add a $100 -$200 profit, write that on a piece of paper and tell them to take it or leave it. I don't get involved in haggling per se, and if they want more for it, then it's their problem not mine. This is not an original idea (I think I saw it in consumer reports) but it works 90% of the time and with no unpleasantness.
So you don't have a car then.

If you seriously think any dealer is going to take $100 to $200 mark up on a vehicle you're delusional.

How exactly do you determine how much they paid for the car?
Old Dec 14th 2007, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have an Audi A4, my wife drives it usually as i work from home so im looking for another car right now and will probably have to go to Atlanta to get it as the car market here is not too good. I dont want to spend $10k on a 5 year old Taurus!
Old Dec 14th 2007, 4:26 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by basementwaj
I have an Audi A4, my wife drives it usually as i work from home so im looking for another car right now and will probably have to go to Atlanta to get it as the car market here is not too good. I dont want to spend $10k on a 5 year old Taurus!
How about $24K on a 3 years old E500 Mercedes?

Bangers, no kites.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 4:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

if you will take $13200 you got a deal
Old Dec 14th 2007, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

jenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to alljenniferpa is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Rushman
So you don't have a car then.

If you seriously think any dealer is going to take $100 to $200 mark up on a vehicle you're delusional.

How exactly do you determine how much they paid for the car?
Two actually. Kelly blue book and/or consumer reports. If you've never tried it, then you don't know how it works. $200 profit is a reasonable amount.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 4:42 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jenniferpa
Two actually. Kelly blue book and/or consumer reports. If you've never tried it, then you don't know how it works. $200 profit is a reasonable amount.
LMFAo

KKB is a joke. Its a book made solely to fool buyers into thinking they are getting a deal. Nobody in the trade uses it not insurance companies, dealers or salvage companies. Go get your KBB and throw it in the garbage or at least make some use of it to steady the leg of a wonky table.

Its a worthless article and way over quotes the value of vehicles....which is why dealers love it....so the punter thinks they are getting a steal but in reality a dealer is.

Think about it for a second. Look at all the huge dealerships in your area, how many cars do they sell on average a day and how much does it cost to operate that sales centre? You really believe they are going to sell you a car for a skinny $100 to $200 mark up?

Last edited by Rushman; Dec 14th 2007 at 4:46 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 4:45 pm
Account Closed

if you will take $13200 you got a deal
On a NADA retail of $31.5K and a clean trade in of $28K? K.M.A

Its loaded mate...and I mean EVERYTHING.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 4:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah, but its a good place to haggle.... i got that price from KBB! ha ha ha
Old Dec 14th 2007, 4:58 pm
Account Closed

Yeah, but its a good place to haggle.... i got that price from KBB! ha ha ha

NADA online consumer guide (for mug punters not dealers) list this car at $31.5K (The dealer site is password protected because the prices are more accurate)

KBB lists the car with all the spec and miles at $35,850 retail

The realistic front lot price of this car to sell here would be $27.750 to $28.5K

I have the dealers book infront of me.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

i believe you!
Its a great car, but more than i want to spend.... im looking at spending about $15k..... i can get an '01 TT or S2000 for that money.
I saw a '01 CLK AMG with 43,000 miles on it sell for $18k last week! That was a deal
Old Dec 14th 2007, 5:02 pm
Account Closed

i believe you!
Its a great car, but more than i want to spend.... im looking at spending about $15k..... i can get an '01 TT or S2000 for that money.
I saw a '01 CLK AMG with 43,000 miles on it sell for $18k last week! That was a deal
I can get you an 01 TT for less and still get a drink out of it for myself......with the right miles too.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Im all ears! Does that include my tax payment too??? car for 13800, tax is about 1200

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.