British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Differences in DVD's and CD's? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/differences-dvds-cds-283263/)

Bob Feb 10th 2005 3:18 am

Differences in DVD's and CD's?

Well this came about from somin' that came up in another thread...anyone notice any particular differences in the dvd's and cd's in the US releases compared to the UK releases?

I've noticed a lot of UK dvd's have stuff that is only available on special releases here...
A Knights tale has more stuff in the UK release, and a better dvd print.
The love actually sound track in the UK is cheaper than the re-released special edition soundtrack in the states and still has more tunes on it...

must be others?

AdobePinon Feb 10th 2005 6:02 am

Re: Differences in DVD's and CD's?

Yeah, the US hasn't worked out how to put more than 14 tracks on a disc without charging five times the price.

Now, Bob, please tell me you didn't like Knight's Tale.

Duncan Roberts Feb 10th 2005 11:31 am

Knights Tale is great entertainment for a couple of hours!

Hiro11 Feb 10th 2005 1:22 pm

Most dvds have different releases in each region, in most cases the region 1 (US) version is superior. Here's a site to compare them:
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/

Get a Philips dvp642 for 85 bucks (http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...ff&oi=froogler) and you'll be able to play any region's dvd.

CDs are a different story. You get ripped off paying EU prices, but the releases are generally better than the same album in the US. Once again, there are exceptions.

Duncan Roberts Feb 10th 2005 2:17 pm

Back in 1998 when I first started buying DVD's, region 1 was really the only region to buy from. You'd go into HMV in England and there would be a small stand of 15 or so DVD's, mostly with no extras and double sided at 20-25 quid. Since then the region 2 DVD's have got far better and now are either as good or better than region 1 versions and sometimes region 4 is better than both. Not to mention the number available and the price is better.
One major thing going for region 2 is the fact that PAL is a better display medium than NTSC.
The whole region coding hing is a strange one, it has good intentions but makes no sense in todays world.

Bob Feb 10th 2005 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
Now, Bob, please tell me you didn't like Knight's Tale.

well actually, yeah, it was a good laugh...have both versions as I lost the UK one, got the US one, and then, well the UK one turned up...1`

Bob Feb 10th 2005 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Most dvds have different releases in each region, in most cases the region 1 (US) version is superior. Here's a site to compare them:
http://www.dvdcompare.net/comparisons/

well that was the case...but not any more...always have to end up buying the special edition ones in the US to get what comes standard on most movies that are region 2 or 4...I've noticed recently that a lot of decent stuff comes region 4 these days as well.
Prices, well just shop around...and pal is a better standard than ntsc....progressive scans another pain in the arse waste to.

Webbie Feb 10th 2005 4:43 pm

I'll throw my 2p in on this one and then go:

Region 1 is always better because the DVD's have more room.
On region 2 DVD's they have to add all the European languages, but region 1 they don't (sometimes Spanish, sometimes French, but most times not)

So because of less extra languages more space to stick extra stuff.

Hiro11 Feb 10th 2005 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by Bob
well that was the case...but not any more...always have to end up buying the special edition ones in the US to get what comes standard on most movies that are region 2 or 4...I've noticed recently that a lot of decent stuff comes region 4 these days as well.
Prices, well just shop around...and pal is a better standard than ntsc....progressive scans another pain in the arse waste to.

According to the site I posted:

Winners by region:
Region 1: 1780
Region 2: 989
Region 3: 66
Region 4: 79
Region 5: 3
Region 6: 0
Region 0: 621
Draw: 2967

..so on average the region 1 dvds are as good or better than other versions. There are definitely exceptions (example: the awesome 3-disc Canadian version of Brotherhood of the Wolf). However, I think in general the prices are much, much lower on average in the US for dvds than in Europe or Asia.

Bob Feb 10th 2005 6:46 pm

Originally Posted by Webbie
I'll throw my 2p in on this one and then go:

Region 1 is always better because the DVD's have more room.
On region 2 DVD's they have to add all the European languages, but region 1 they don't (sometimes Spanish, sometimes French, but most times not)

So because of less extra languages more space to stick extra stuff.

audio doesn't take up that much space...so your right, they should be better than what they are, but they often aren't...and those adds that you can't skip are annoying too...

Bob Feb 10th 2005 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by Hiro11
..so on average the region 1 dvds are as good or better than other versions. There are definitely exceptions (example: the awesome 3-disc Canadian version of Brotherhood of the Wolf). However, I think in general the prices are much, much lower on average in the US for dvds than in Europe or Asia.

bit subjective a subject I know because everyone has there own preferences, but that site hardly lists all the movies either, so bit skeptical.
As for prices, yeah, often cheaper in the States, but not if your earning a yank salary, the deals are certainly by far a lot worse.