Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Differences between UK and USA culture/living

Differences between UK and USA culture/living

Old Jul 8th 2007, 6:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between UK and USA culture/living

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Thanks - I was simply trying to be helpful by posting a working link since Elvira mentioned that people could test themselves if they wanted to.
That's not what Meauxna was referring to...
Old Jul 8th 2007, 6:58 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Your directness just surprised me.
And that is one of the biggest differences between the cultures.

Brits can go between understatement and brutal honesty within a second. If there's a huge flood? "It's a bit damp here." But if you get an honest opinion prepare for it to be less gently worded.

Brits are far less likely to dance around a subject with a lot of pretty words; they are direct. It does help that they have a huge vocabulary of slang words especially for body parts, bodily fluids and sex. Their views on sex are far more relaxed than the average American, and they like to meet up at pubs as a community gathering point, not because they are all alcoholics, though many of them can drink any American under the table.

Something like 3% of Brits attend church every Sunday. Football (soccer) is for many like a religion and there are fierce loyalties and rivalries. Many think American baseball is the worst sport there is, but many also don't mind spending hours watching a cricket match with its complicated rules.

Anyhoo that's my experience though I think the main point is that Americans vastly overestimate how well they know the British culture.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 7:00 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Differences between UK and USA culture/living

Originally Posted by snowbunny

Brits can go between understatement and brutal honesty within a second. If there's a huge flood? "It's a bit damp here." But if you get an honest opinion prepare for it to be less gently worded.

Brits are far less likely to dance around a subject with a lot of pretty words; they are direct. It does help that they have a huge vocabulary of slang words especially for body parts, bodily fluids and sex. Their views on sex are far more relaxed than the average American, and they like to meet up at pubs as a community gathering point, not because they are all alcoholics, though many of them can drink any American under the table.

Something like 3% of Brits attend church every Sunday. Football (soccer) is for many like a religion and there are fierce loyalties and rivalries. Many think American baseball is the worst sport there is, but many also don't mind spending hours watching a cricket match with its complicated rules.

Anyhoo that's my experience though I think the main point is that Americans vastly overestimate how well they know the British culture.

Old Jul 8th 2007, 7:20 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by elfman
I always want to know more about the format of surveys like this - they never say if the places people are asked to find are labelled or not on the map they are using. If not, then it would be quite difficult for many people (not just Yanks), and if they are, then how long do they give people to find places? In that case surely anyone who can read could find Afghanistan or Iraq on a world map given five minutes or so.
I was just thinking the same thing if you had a map of all the 86 counties of the UK with the names blocked out. How many Brits could find counties such as Renfrewshire, Teeside, Rutland etc etc without the names on them? Not many I'll wager.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny

I would agree with all of that Amy except the baseball reference.....its your version of "Football" that sucks balls big time. The rest, a good evaluation.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 7:25 pm
Homebody

Talking Re: Differences between UK and USA culture/living

Originally Posted by Rushman
I was just thinking the same thing if you had a map of all the 86 counties of the UK with the names blocked out. How many Brits could find counties such as Renfrewshire, Teeside, Rutland etc etc without the names on them? Not many I'll wager.
I hope they could find Stonehenge though...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiFq_nk8pE0

Old Jul 8th 2007, 9:27 pm
Banned

RaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really nice

When I first moved here I was a bit put off by the lack of pretense of Americans..Communication is a bit more sophisticated back home..The rough nature of the yanks was to say the least was intimidating at first...But I've gotten used to the brutal honestly and blunt nature of Americans and have even been accepted into some circles here..It justs takes time..You need to have thick skin to live in this society..
Old Jul 8th 2007, 9:35 pm
Banned

RaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really niceRaiseTheDead is just really nice

And the girls are a bit more fit and tan here..And their teeth are straight and white..It's a healthy lot-Thats the good part- As soon as I beef up a bit, and loose the accent I hope to shag one..Lol

Only been in the states a few years
Old Jul 8th 2007, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RaiseTheDead
And the girls are a bit more fit and tan here..And their teeth are straight and white..It's a healthy lot-Thats the good part- As soon as I beef up a bit, and loose the accent I hope to shag one..Lol

no shag's in a few year's, poor Lamb.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 9:50 pm
Banned

Not since my wife ran off with the garbage man last December.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Ah see that would be your mistake. The accent is the key to your shag! Take the advice of an American woman and trust me on this - a British accent is considered pretty sexy.

I'm curious about your comment regarding the brutal honesty and blunt nature of Americans. Would you mind explaining what you mean? That's not the norm where I live (the midwest) - are you by any chance living on one of the coasts? Just curious as a previous poster pointed out that British communication was likely to be much more direct, which is what it sounds like you're saying about American communication ... unless I misunderstood you which is entirely possible.

Meauxna and Elvira - thank you for the tip. I've read some interesting discussions this afternoon.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:55 pm
Account Closed

When I first moved here I was a bit put off by the lack of pretense of Americans..Communication is a bit more sophisticated back home..The rough nature of the yanks was to say the least was intimidating at first...But I've gotten used to the brutal honestly and blunt nature of Americans and have even been accepted into some circles here..It justs takes time..You need to have thick skin to live in this society..

Strange I get the impression you are talking right out of your arse.

"Americans lack of pretense" ".......Brutal honesty and blunt nature of Americans".....Where? Id move there tomorrow!!
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:56 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by britvic
no shag's in a few year's, poor Lamb.
Hardly a suprise if he's intimidated by the average American.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 10:59 pm
Account Closed

Ah see that would be your mistake. The accent is the key to your shag! Take the advice of an American woman and trust me on this - a British accent is considered pretty sexy.

I'm curious about your comment regarding the brutal honesty and blunt nature of Americans. Would you mind explaining what you mean? That's not the norm where I live (the midwest) - are you by any chance living on one of the coasts? Just curious as a previous poster pointed out that British communication was likely to be much more direct, which is what it sounds like you're saying about American communication ... unless I misunderstood you which is entirely possible.

Meauxna and Elvira - thank you for the tip. I've read some interesting discussions this afternoon.
Forgot it sweetheart he obviously doesn't know his arse from his elbow.
Old Jul 8th 2007, 11:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Strange I get the impression you are talking right out of your arse.

"Americans lack of pretense" ".......Brutal honesty and blunt nature of Americans".....Where? Id move there tomorrow!!
I think I could of been more happier in just such a place.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.