Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Differences between America and UK - culture/food/etc?

Differences between America and UK - culture/food/etc?

Old Aug 13th 2013, 12:45 am
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Differences between America and UK - culture/food/etc?

Originally Posted by Zen10
If there are no cheese & onion crisps in Kentucky I think the people of that state need to take a long, hard look at themselves and ask the difficult question: why not?
They already have Jim Beam and Jesus. Who could ask for anything more?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 12:46 am
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
Amen to that.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:54 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RoadWarriorFromLP
How about a factory making high performance sports cars?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:56 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I use it all the time, nobody has made the connection to cnut yet.
Surely two connections?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:42 am
Forum Regular

Leah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of lightLeah326 is a glorious beacon of light

These are things I have observed this week and thought it seemed incredibly rude initially but as I observed people calling me 'she' all of the time, in front of me, I kind of guessed it was the done thing.

Originally Posted by rpjs
Politeness is different here. Unlike the UK, it is not necessary to include "please" or "thank you" in every single sentence when you interact with someone in a service environment. It it is necessary to say "How are you?" when you begin the interaction though. You can't just say "Hello, could I get <whatever>" like you would in the UK. (I realised that I was starting to go native when I bounced up to the immigration officer at LHR on a trip back and said "Hello, how are you?" and he looked somewhat surprised and replied "Very well sir, thank you for asking.")

It's also perfectly polite in the US when talking with a group of people to refer to someone with you as "he" or "she" rather than by their name - that threw me a little when I had it applied to me when I first started working here but I quickly realised that no offence was meant. It's also a bit jarring when you see someone make a hand signal for "two" and they do it the rude way round by our lights.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:04 am
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

After being here for 7+1/2 years I had my first "British moment" nearly killed the family, turning a corner at lights I went in to the wrong lane. Luckily the on coming lane was empty, I suppose if it had traffic I would have seen it and not made the mistake.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kimilseung
After being here for 7+1/2 years I had my first "British moment" nearly killed the family, turning a corner at lights I went in to the wrong lane. Luckily the on coming lane was empty, I suppose if it had traffic I would have seen it and not made the mistake.
I came close to doing that once.

It was the day after I had returned to the US from the UK and I was making a left turn from the left hand lane of a one way street into a two way street.

Since then I have been acutely aware of the potential for confusion that can result when you switch between countries and find yourself on a one way street driving on what feels to you like the "correct" side of the road when, in fact, it isn't ...
Old Aug 13th 2013, 8:21 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have problems driving on the wrong side per se, but I do occasionally catch myself mis-planning a 'circle'. In the US to go around the block, you go right-right-right to get back to where you started. In the UK (and here in Hong Kong) it's left-left-left.

A couple of times when I said "I'll go around the block" to the wife I've found myself out of lane to try and accomplish that.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:38 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Surely two connections?
Funnily enough, all the whiny prudes who complain about cnut never seem to mind twat
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

How about a factory making high performance sports cars?
Sorry, no. They only make Corvettes there.

High performance sports cars are made in Moderna, Stuttgard and Woking!

The do, however, make the Toyota Camry in KY!!
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:57 pm
Bloody Yank

RoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond reputeRoadWarriorFromLP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by md95065
Since then I have been acutely aware of the potential for confusion that can result when you switch between countries and find yourself on a one way street driving on what feels to you like the "correct" side of the road when, in fact, it isn't ...
It may help to think in terms of driver side/ passenger side, rather than right vs. left.

The center of the road and opposing traffic should be kept on the driver's side of the car; on a two-way street, the passenger side of the car should remain closest to the curb. (Of course, you should ignore this rule if you're driving a RHD car in a LHD country or vice versa...)
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by Guindalf
High performance sports cars are made in Moderna, Stuttgardt and Woking! ....
Agreed. ..... Though your knowledge of sports cars appears to be better than your geography!
Old Aug 13th 2013, 4:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Agreed. ..... Though your knowledge of sports cars appears to be better than your geography!
It's not my geography, it's my spelling!

I'm going to use the excuse that I'm at work. Yes, that's it. I was distracted.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:18 pm
Just Joined

imabrummie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dizzyheights
Hi everyone,

My sister is moving to Kentucky for 9 months this week to study at a university.

What differences/quirks are there between US and UK? What did you wish you knew before you left?

I have heard that it is hard to get cheese and onion crisps and that VAT/TAX is added at the checkout and isn't included in the price?

Thanks!
had you considered checking with some of those on-line sites such as British Corner Shop which specialize in accommodating ex-pat's desire for things which remind them of home?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:20 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by imabrummie
had you considered checking with some of those on-line sites such as British Corner Shop which specialize in accommodating ex-pat's desire for things which remind them of home?
Whilst this is a good idea of course, what really irks me about these stores is the obscene prices they charge. It's easier to get relatives / colleagues to bring English stuff (chocolate, tea are my biggest misses) over, but appreciate my situation doesn't apply to all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.