Dieting

Old Jan 4th 2012, 8:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dieting

Tis the season for dieting after Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years so I want to hear your hints and tips for dieting in America.
I've started on visalis (sp) shakes which seem OK and so far this week I've been back to the gym for the first time in a few months. Hopefully I'll see some results by the time I return to the UK for my brothers wedding.
I'm also making an effort for my main meal to be healthier and in smaller portions which I hope will do the trick. Next time I head to the supermarket I'll be looking for something like quorn to take the place of meat in some dishes which can only help.

Any hints, tips and suggestions are welcome.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:02 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dieting

I've just discovered today that I am insulin resistant, so will have to make some serious diet changes. No more cookies, for one. I'm glad to have found out AFTER Christmas.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:17 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Southy_SWFC
Tis the season for dieting after Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years so I want to hear your hints and tips for dieting in America.
I've started on visalis (sp) shakes which seem OK and so far this week I've been back to the gym for the first time in a few months. Hopefully I'll see some results by the time I return to the UK for my brothers wedding.
I'm also making an effort for my main meal to be healthier and in smaller portions which I hope will do the trick. Next time I head to the supermarket I'll be looking for something like quorn to take the place of meat in some dishes which can only help.

Any hints, tips and suggestions are welcome.
Make a meal and snack plan for the week ahead and only buy what you need to make whats on your plan. That way you won't make a silly meal when you can't think what to make that night, and you won't have a house full of food you're not going to eat.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:32 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

hints and tips for dieting in America.
Stay out of fast food restaurants and eat normal-sized portions!
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:33 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

I have tried diet plans and shakes and stuff and none of it works for me so I am concentrating on smaller, healthier meals, - no 'bad' snack foods in the house - replacing with fruit, popcorn, individual packets of almonds, weight watchers string cheese etc (any suggestions for other healthier snacks would be welcome).

To make meal planning easier I have come up with this plan for the weeks meals:

Meatless Monday
Tuesday Chicken
Wicked Wednesday Pasta
Thursday Souper Soup
Fishy Friday
Slow Cooker Saturday
Sinful Sunday - the only day I can bake or have dessert

Also only allowed to eat out once a month as opposed to 2-3 times a week !
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Southy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond reputeSouthy_SWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ChocolateBabz
I have tried diet plans and shakes and stuff and none of it works for me so I am concentrating on smaller, healthier meals, - no 'bad' snack foods in the house - replacing with fruit, popcorn, individual packets of almonds, weight watchers string cheese etc (any suggestions for other healthier snacks would be welcome).

Meatless Monday
Tuesday Chicken
Wicked Wednesday Pasta
Thursday Souper Soup
Fishy Friday
Slow Cooker Saturday

Not much room for chocolate in that week, Babz

I think snacking is a big issue so instead of crisps and biscuits we've got a million baby carrots, cellery and apples.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Stay out of fast food restaurants and eat normal-sized portions!
Keep an eye on carbs too (particularly those who are insulin resistant), lots of things are just carbs and no substance.

To make meal planning
I found meal planning also cuts on wasted food and keeps the grocery bill down.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by N1cky
Make a meal and snack plan for the week ahead and only buy what you need to make whats on your plan. That way you won't make a silly meal when you can't think what to make that night, and you won't have a house full of food you're not going to eat.

This' what I've been trying to do in the weeks running up to the start of the diet. I've been taking the offer flyers from the paper and making meals around them therefore only getting what I need for the meals and saving a bit of money too. Every little helps and all that
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

It is going to break my heart having to throw out all those delicious mince pies I made this year. Went a bit over the top and made about 60 and OH is in the UK so come 6th Jan they all gotta go! But until the 6th - all the goodies are fair game!
Oatmeal - with a sprinking of wheatgerm and flaxseed for breakfast or if you cant eat that - natural yoghurt with fruit and then an egg white frittata with vegetables. Then the usual - no processed foods, no sugar, just complex carbs, whole grains and plenty of protein... and yes plan ahead.
Now where is that bottle of wine??
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:49 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

tips for eating out....

Ask for half the meal to be boxed before serving - or ask for a box for it immediately and box it yourself.

Ask for sauce or dressing to be on the side

don't forget to check the calorie count - larger chain restaurants now have an obligation to provide it
Old Jan 4th 2012, 9:58 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Orangepants
It is going to break my heart having to throw out all those delicious mince pies I made this year. Went a bit over the top and made about 60 and OH is in the UK so come 6th Jan they all gotta go! But until the 6th - all the goodies are fair game!
Oatmeal - with a sprinking of wheatgerm and flaxseed for breakfast or if you cant eat that - natural yoghurt with fruit and then an egg white frittata with vegetables. Then the usual - no processed foods, no sugar, just complex carbs, whole grains and plenty of protein... and yes plan ahead.
Now where is that bottle of wine??
I know how you feel, I am so sick of eating and drinking, didn't help that we had 2 days in Napa after Boxing Day, then hubbys birthday on the 2nd, goodbye meal and drinks with the in-laws last night. Then I'm working away all next week so eating out every night next week too. Argh, I go to Hawaii in 6 weeks, I need to buy a swimsuit no way can I wear a bikini.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:07 pm
Chocoholic !

ChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond reputeChocolateBabz has a reputation beyond repute

Not much room for chocolate in that week, Babz
Don't I know it

I am also having porridge for breakfast every day (not the crappy ready oatmeal stuff they sell over here by the boatload). Having fun coming up with interesting toppings - so far 1 tsp of brown sugar and cinnamon is my favourite but banana and a drizzle of maple syrup is good or apple and walnut or berries.

Last edited by ChocolateBabz; Jan 4th 2012 at 10:10 pm.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute

Meatless Monday
Tuesday Chicken
Wicked Wednesday Pasta
Thursday Souper Soup
Fishy Friday
Slow Cooker Saturday

Sounds like a great plan. On Wed though I'd substitute Quinoa for pasta, it has high protein and tastes delicious. Most pasta has absolutely no good carbs in it, except the whole grain stuff and that tastes like cardboard.
Drink lots of water also.
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:23 pm
Chocoholic !

Originally Posted by Orangepants
Sounds like a great plan. On Wed though I'd substitute Quinoa for pasta, it has high protein and tastes delicious. Most pasta has absolutely no good carbs in it, except the whole grain stuff and that tastes like cardboard.
Drink lots of water also.
Have changed to multi-grain pasta and brown rice and down to 1% milk - haven't tried Quinoa - is it a bit like cous cous?
Old Jan 4th 2012, 10:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Have changed to multi-grain pasta and brown rice and down to 1% milk - haven't tried Quinoa - is it a bit like cous cous?
Sounds like you have made some great changes already
If you like whole grain pasta then that is way better than the white floury stuff. Quinoa is similar to couscous but has a nutty flavour and a bit more of a crunch and absorbs spices well. But it is the high protein content that makes it a superfood!
A recent discovery is Ezekiel bread - great texture, whole grain and no sweet taste. I haven't eaten bread since I left the UK so this was a major find!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.